IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Railfan9
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by Railfan9 »

If G&W doesn't want to move the cars, why wouldn't they let the Cincinnati Railway do it? (Make an exception is what I mean)[/quote]
Midland please correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Indiana and Ohio was sold to Railtex, and the Cincinnati Railway Company was created the paperwork for the lease included a part about that the Cincinnati Railway Company can operate passenger trains on any of the trackage that the I&O owns, but they are not allowed to haul freight. This has seemed to have stuck through all the way to G&W. That's what I remember about why Cincinnati Railway Company doesn't haul freight.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I thought the whole discussion with adding freight up to Lebanon was to offset the costs of the tourist trains. Wasn't adding freight a major bargaining chip? Also, I thought the main reason for the repairing of the west-end bridge was to have it up to code in order to haul freight.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Railfan9 is correct about the agreement. Somehow the CIND slide into that agreement, but those days are done. G&W would love to kill that deal and never deal with them again, but they are stuck with them. I would say we will never see anything more than the current Dinner/Fireworks and annual DT&I trip. I'm under the impression there's not much of a relationship between the two.

As for the Lebanon customers. Last active customer was Trupointe which didn't amount to much more than a handful of inbound potash loads a year. Last car they got was fall of 2007. Can't blame the I&O for that. Trupointe stopped getting inbound potash everywhere once they built the build dry fertilizer warehouse up at South Chuck. Marketing has changed things up and operations can no longer kill off business they don't want before it happens. I'm under the impression marketing is rather aggressive now about new traffic so I would say if something happens it has a chance. But the better question is what would ever locate on those four miles? The freight thing came up by the city to justify the expense of making the repairs. There's people at the city that would rather spend the money elsewhere.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Back in the mid 90's, I heard that Contractor Lumber was suppose to get a spur, across the track from Landmark, I think the problem was the power line was in the way, and to costly to relocate, believe they are no longer at that location.

You can see about were the spur was suppose to go

The Packing Company north of there were getting a few cars, and at first they cross 48 and switch a factory on the north end of the line, not sure what they were called or what the received, I do not think this lasted very long. Now called VisTech Manufacturing Solutions.

You can see about were the spur was suppose to go.

When I worked up there, I only remember picking up one care at Landmark (Trupoint)

The only other potential customer is the George Steel Fabricating or Ferrell gas
(at one time, they has a spur)

Railfan9
Railroadfan...fan

Ferrell Gas's spur is gone, and has been for at least 10 years. Midland's right about G&W and the Cincinnati Railway Company about them not getting along. I have heard that when G&W took over the went to a meeting of the Cincinnati Railway Company to talk to them, and get the idea of what the operations were like; however when they brought up several thing like wearing safety vest, and no passengers in vestibules of the passenger cars the Cincinnati Railway Company said we never had to do that before. The G&W also has told the owner of Cincinnati Railway Company under no circumstances there will be no cab rides on the dinner train, and the owner again said we never had any problems with cab rides before. G&W is watching over the Cincinnati Railway Company. The thing I have heard is the agreement is written in a way that ANY passenger train operating on the I&O, and CIND will be operated by the Cincinnati Railway Company case in point is the private car train that operated over I&O last summer they had to stop and pick up a Cincinnati Railway Company crew.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

That was a CNRY deal as G&W wouldn't have let it happen. CNRY didn't help things a few months when they couldn't get 902 started and borrowed one of the GP50s which didn't go over to well. That's why you see the NS power and not G&W when they need something extra. It would not surprise me to see the G&W safety team show up some Saturday.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Anything new with the I&O?

Railfan9
Railroadfan...fan

I dont know if it's news or not, but a few days ago the I&O turn that takes cars to the NS at Sharonville what looked like a former Kansas City Southern Gray SD40-2. Other then that I haven't heard/ seen anything new.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

You saw HLCX 6227 its a former QNS&L SD40-2.

Melvin Stone adding a few more tracks at the quarry at Melvin. Plus they rebuilt the out of service main on the Oasis Sub from the old Rencomb tower to down along the yard at Undercliff plus work on a couple of tracks in the yard. Melvin wants to ship 60 car trains to Undercliff instead of the Mon-Fri small trains they've done the past couple of years. Work at Undercliff is done and still has a way to go at Melvin. So far Undercliff has been getting 48 car trains. Logan still getting 60 car trains and they have it down to getting it unloaded in a day.

Management turned over again. New GM is the son of the G&W Ohio Valley Region president. All TMs were fired or quit.

New yard at Oakley. Three new tracks from Madison Rd to I-71.

Both OC SD40-2s blew crankshafts and went back to the OC. Replaced by 2 ex BN green HLCX SD40-2s.

CSX changing Honda interchange with the CIND to outside of Queensgate at Idaho St on the Indiana Sub. Honda was supposed to flip flop Greensburg traffic to CSX gettig 70% of the traffic, but has yet to happen.

Railfan9
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Midland!

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Another Deal just announced between Navistar and GM to build cut-away vans, but sill have not seen anything on rail service being restored at the plant, I assume it would be for out-bound racks of the vans?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I have been down at the Boathouse and also driving along Riverside Drive a few times in the last month and have notice that the I&O has several Gondola cars sitting on the side tracks there. New ones like every other day. First time I have seen so many on the tracks almost up to the Boathouse so the business there must be pretty strong.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Cincinnati Barge & Rail is where the gons are spotted. Wednesday they had 2 different cuts gons sitting down there to be loaded. They load pig iron here and over at the Port of Cincy on the Ditch Track of the CIND beside to old B&O Warehouse by Paul Brown Stadium. There's 2 different brokers that deliver pig iron to Cincinnati via the Ohio River, one use the Oasis Sub and the other on the Ditch track. Cincinnati Barge & Rail also gets loads of lumber in they unload on centerbeams and boxcars. Other on the Ditch Track they get inbound salt via rail and just unloaded some pet coke that came down from Husky at Lima.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Question for Midland Sub since you have more info on this rail On the I&O that goes from Oakley north does the I&O use the same power up and back every day or do they switch to a few different engines? I know they keep there yard in Oakley and I must say that place is packed with cars but was wondering do they just keep the same crew day after day going back and forth? My buddy says he sees to trains going up to Loveland every day and north and also sees two coming back daily.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

There's a Wash CH based train (WCH-C) that goes to Cincinnati 5 or 6 nights a week. It's usually just Oakley they go to swap the cars they're bringing down for the stuff going back north. There's 3 I&O Cincy crews that switch the yard at Oakley during the day to pick up and set cars. One is crew that goes to Queensgate and CSX, one to NS and Sharonville and the last goes to the CIND.

WCH-C will also swap locomotives out at Oakley if something needs worked on or has an inspection due. You never know what's going to be on the WCH C power wise. That train gets switched out at Wash CH and then heads to Springfield to meet a Lima crew on the LSL. A lot of times they swap trains entirely, some times they keep the engines they have and just swap cars. The I&O has also been using CSX engines off grain trains on the Midland to run to Oakley on the WCH C.

There should be a stone train today running from Cincinnati to Melvin and back on the Midland.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

So I remember back years ago that was the B&O tracks very active. Did who ever bought the B&O lease out the track to the I&O or did they just buy the tracking rights. I don't think any other rail runs on that line other than the I&O

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CSX leased the line to the I&O back in October 2004. CSX ran a daily Cincy-Columbus-Newark pair of trains plus a once a month unit AK Steel coil steel train from Cincy to Newark and the OC. CSX used it for a lot of detour trains for trackwork and derailments. Grain trains almost all came out of Columbus like they do now.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks didn't know all of that. Looks like the I&O did great on the deal as they are pretty busy with the line. Wonder why CSX didn't want it any longer as there is pretty many business's along the line that needs rail transport. You would think they would stay with the line instead of leasing it out. Was the I&O the only short line that wanted the line?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

This was one of the leases that CSX did in the aftermath of the Conrail split to help get their finances back in order (the ex PRR from Crestline to near Chicago was one of the others). As part of the prep work for the Conrail split, there was a connection track built at Sidney Ohio that made the midland redundant from a through traffic perspective. The amount of online traffic made it attractive to the shortlines (you can only sell/lease what someone else would be interested in purchasing/leasing), but I don't know how many other companies actually submitted bids, and if there were others what made the I&O offer the most attractive.
heypal6878 wrote:Thanks didn't know all of that. Looks like the I&O did great on the deal as they are pretty busy with the line. Wonder why CSX didn't want it any longer as there is pretty many business's along the line that needs rail transport. You would think they would stay with the line instead of leasing it out. Was the I&O the only short line that wanted the line?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

on the very southern end of the I&O near Cincinnati, actually on I&O's sister railroad the CIND. A source confirms that a tight lipped customer is looking long and hard at a location near the new wheat mill near Lawrenceburg Indiana. Could it be Bunge?
Exit stage left