IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by AARR »

logansub wrote:Drove by Keynes mill and saw a bunch of grain cars. They have been switching 15 or so out at a time for them this week.
Is this the Jeffersonville location?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Is this the Jeffersonville location?

Nope the Logan Sub in the town of Logan....The other boxcars could be for GE Plant in Logan
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The actual mill is in Logan. Jeffersonville is one of several locations Keynes has purchased over the years to expand their market. They buy the local wheat crop and store it and once it's needed truck it to Logan. Jeffersonville occasionally uses rail, its been a year or more since the last time they did. Switch is out of service. They had 60 loads show up in the past week or so. Almost all the inbound wheat comes from Metamora 15 cars at a time.

The boxcars are for US Corrugated in Lancaster. A bunch showed up at once there was nowhere else to store it but the yard in Logan.

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by logansub »

Is Metamora up by lake erie? Is it owned by Keynes mill?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

logansub wrote:Is Metamora up by lake erie? Is it owned by Keynes mill?
Metamora is on the DT&I North Sub by the MI/OH border. It is owned by The Anderson's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Metamora is up on the Ohio-Michigan state line on the DT&I. The Andersons out of Toledo (plus the store over on the eastside of Columbus) own Metamora now. Loads come down to Springfield. NS picks them up takes them west to Moraine and then back to Columbus. CSX picks them up at Watkins from NS and I&O finally gets them at Parsons.

Drove by Melvin and they have the former Georgia Power cars out of storage and loading. You should see a stone train for Logan in the next week or two.

Wash CH Turn had 8161 and OC 4030. Blan Job using CFE 3887 and CFE 3889 the Wash CH four axle.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Metamora is up on the Ohio-Michigan state line on the DT&I. The Andersons out of Toledo (plus the store over on the eastside of Columbus) own Metamora now. Loads come down to Springfield. NS picks them up takes them west to Moraine and then back to Columbus. CSX picks them up at Watkins from NS and I&O finally gets them at Parsons.
I thought, wrongfully, they took an all IORY routing. Is there a better route than what they currently take?

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the info. I figured the stone train would be running before long. Lots of action this week on the logan sub!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

There's no other direct routing. With no direct access to the Logan Sub it has to be handed off to NS at Springfield. This goes back to before the I&O got the Midland. CSX not interested in them tacking another 15 cars onto a grain train going back to Parsons.

AARR wrote:
midland sub wrote:Metamora is up on the Ohio-Michigan state line on the DT&I. The Andersons out of Toledo (plus the store over on the eastside of Columbus) own Metamora now. Loads come down to Springfield. NS picks them up takes them west to Moraine and then back to Columbus. CSX picks them up at Watkins from NS and I&O finally gets them at Parsons.
I thought, wrongfully, they took an all IORY routing. Is there a better route than what they currently take?

redside20

A local Jackson Center Agribusiness has expanded. Includes an expanded rail spur among other things. Bambauer Fertilizer and Seed on Wise Road.
http://sidneydailynews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 929&Ref=AR

They are located here. Quite the surprise, they started this expansion about a year and half ago. Nice traffic pickup for the I&0. Hope they don't screw it up.
http://binged.it/1b61cvd
Exit stage left

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like the 2nd logan stone train has came an turned around for the year so far. They unloaded yesterday and I did not see them this afternoon. Between them and Keynes mill it has been very busy down here this spring.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Navistar and GM is going to invest in the Springfield plant and build the medium duty trucks, this was talked about a few years ago, nothing on how the out bound traffic is going to be handled. NS owns the Erie Loading Area behind the plant, The Port Authority owns the other

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Does anyone know if freight service ever returned to Lebanon as part of the LM&M Railroad deal?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland - is there anything happening on the old DT&I lines that is newsworthy? New business? Updated operations schedules? Thanks!

Railfan9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railfan9 »

bluestreak81 wrote:Does anyone know if freight service ever returned to Lebanon as part of the LM&M Railroad deal?
No there is no freight to Lebanon. There was a company at one point that wanted to ship by rail; however the story I was told that G&W told them to go ask Cincinnati Railway Company, and they can't haul freight so the company went with trucks instead.

redside20

AARR wrote:midland - is there anything happening on the old DT&I lines that is newsworthy? New business? Updated operations schedules? Thanks!
Don this fertilizer and seed dealer near Jackson Center went through an expansion late last year including installing some spur tracks that connected with the DT&I tracks out back. Once the expansion was complete, the I&O started immediately switching out the place with those orange potash cylindrical hoppers last year. This is the first online customer for the I&0 between Jackson Center and Thackery.

http://ocj.com/2015/04/bambauer-fertili ... struction/

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Greenfield Sub getting a new customer sometime this year. New auto part supplier for Honda coming to Greenfield and wants to transload plastic pellets. I believe the old depot track will be relaid at some point this year.

Whitewater Milling at West Harrison on the Brookville line is up and running. A bakery in Cincinnati is moving to West Harrison and going to use rail. G&W laid new rail on most of the line from Valley to West Harrison. Everything should be 100 pound or bigger.

G&W leased 100 cov hoppers for grain service. All sorts of older junk in the mix.

Valero is buying corn from Premier at Melvin and Sabina, Heritage at Derby and Trupointe at South Chuck. Premier is loading soybeans at both Melvin and Sabina for Bunge at Decatur. Trupointe shipping corn and soybeans to CBG on the CIND.

Melvin Stone paid to place part of the second main on the Oasis Sub at Undercliff. Melvin is supposed to start sending 60 car trains to Undercliff this year. Melvin was approved for ORDC grant I believe to pay the work and I believe more tracks at Melvin.

Crop Production bought the liquid fertilizer business from Premier at Melvin plus Laurelville Grain which will add more inbound traffic to the Mt Sterling location.

Bluegrass Farms has a new partner. Mitsui bought a 50% stake in BGF. Supposedly Mitsui will use their global presence to market and bring more use out of BGF. Hasn't changed anything so far. Not that it matters with I&O using most of the tracks to stage empty ethanol and ddg hoppers for Valero.

With NS losing it's mind Honda has decided to flip flop the Greensburg split at Cincy. CSX paid for two new switches to to connect the CIND and CSX to handle autorack trains. CSX should start seeing more of Greensburg traffic. Honda will start building CRVs at Greensburg this year.

Otherwise its the same old I&O being run by the same mindless people. Not enough serviceable locomotives or people.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, redside and midland.

looshi
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by looshi »

Railfan9 wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:Does anyone know if freight service ever returned to Lebanon as part of the LM&M Railroad deal?
No there is no freight to Lebanon. There was a company at one point that wanted to ship by rail; however the story I was told that G&W told them to go ask Cincinnati Railway Company, and they can't haul freight so the company went with trucks instead.
There have been some discussions mostly being pushed by the City of Lebanon. G&W does not overly seem interested in running up to Lebanon for a couple of cars and has priced any moves to Lebanon accordingly. They've also been trying to completely get out of inspecting the Lebanon sub for a while now. Currently they pay for one inspection and the city and Cincinnati Railway pays for the other.

The G&W is having enough problems serving the Mason sub in a timely fashion with the mess that Reed Yard is in right now, and don't seem to want to change the status-quo.

Cincinnati Railway cannot legally move freight by terms of their trackage rights agreement. They would have to have the G&W's blessing for that and it hasn't been given.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

looshi wrote:
Railfan9 wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:
Cincinnati Railway cannot legally move freight by terms of their trackage rights agreement. They would have to have the G&W's blessing for that and it hasn't been given.

If G&W doesn't want to move the cars, why wouldn't they let the Cincinnati Railway do it? (Make an exception is what I mean)