IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by midland sub »

Figured it was time to start a new thread....

G&W brass toured the Midland from Oakley to Wash CH on Thursday with CIND 2001 and two borrowed Cincy Railway passenger cars. Plans are to do the DT&I Subs sometime next week after they do a quick trip over the OC.

The I&O has slide backwards into the old days of nothing gets done because the plan on Monday falls apart and the rest of the week is a mess from there. They are down to TMs covering both the CIND and I&O. Changes coming from the G&W brass.....

New northeast wye track in Wash CH is supposed to go out for bids in Sept for spring 2014 construction.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I shot a couple of LSLs this week.

They also had 3889 in Lima this week though I never saw it being used by the switcher crew.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Around 54 cars in the first vid. Was that Thackery?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

AARR wrote:Around 54 cars in the first vid. Was that Thackery?
It was Uniopolis. They had a lot more to take south that day, 10 or more loads of lumber plus other cars but G&W leaves Lima short on power just like railamerica did.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:
AARR wrote:Around 54 cars in the first vid. Was that Thackery?
It was Uniopolis. They had a lot more to take south that day, 10 or more loads of lumber plus other cars but G&W leaves Lima short on power just like railamerica did.
Ok, I believe they can load unit trains at Uniopolis and receive fertilizer too including ammonia IIRC. midland will know :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yes on the unit trains that end up on CSX and they used to receive anhydrous but were part of the STB filing against RA a couple of years ago when RA added a $10,000 tariff special move to it and other inhalation chemicals. G&W dropped the tariff, but I have yet to see or hear if they or Trupointe have started receiving it again.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I&O should be getting G&W OCS special sometime today. Powell Wye messaged me that OC were dropping it off in Parsons this morning. Two Cincinnati Railway passenger cars and borrowed Wheeling theater car. At minimum one G&W orange loco for the I&O trips, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll borrow a set of OC locos for the I&O trips :D

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Today after work I spotted an I&O train going under US 68 at Maitland heading east toward Springfield. Looked like the Urbana Sub local(lots of covered hoppers in the train) but not for sure and no I did not see the power but it looked like one or two units from the brief glimpse I caught of it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Saw in Business First that Timber Tech is adding jobs to Willmington, but closing the Columbus Plaint.

I believe they are rail served, correct?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Today after work I spotted a move on the Urbana Sub, it was CFE 3887 pushing a bunch of old covered hoppers(looked like 2 bays with CLSX reporting marks) straight south of Maitland and the rear of the cut was almost underneath US 68 on the old Erie when I crossed over it. Not sure if they were adding more cars to the stored cars already sitting west of Upper Valley Pike Road or simply pushing far enough south to access the switch to pull back onto the DT&I side.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

conrailman75 wrote:Today after work I spotted a move on the Urbana Sub, it was CFE 3887 pushing a bunch of old covered hoppers(looked like 2 bays with CLSX reporting marks) straight south of Maitland and the rear of the cut was almost underneath US 68 on the old Erie when I crossed over it.
I think those are salt cars being stored until needed again. Seems like around this time of year CF&E and IORY get them.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Indeed their Wilmington plant has rail access. They receive inbound plastic pellets and ship outbound product on centerbeams. The siding at Sabina is usually full of pellet cars waiting to be spotted at the plant. The outbound shipments are hit or miss, maybe less than a hundred at most. If you see the Blan Job with empty centerbeams out of Konrad they are for Timber Tech.

Crane Plastic sold the Timber Tech line last year. The Columbus location is surrounded by Crane's other Columbus plants and they can't expand it. Wilmington location has plenty of room for a new warehouse and expansion. Bach before the recession and housing crash, Crane had a location on the Mason Sub planned. Received a ORDC grant for the two spurs into the plant across from the old engine house on the line. Tracks were finished but the plant never opened.

jallenp7 wrote:Saw in Business First that Timber Tech is adding jobs to Willmington, but closing the Columbus Plaint.

I believe they are rail served, correct?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The former Cargill salt cars are long term storage. Appalachian Railcar owns them and there's really not a market for them. Last I heard they occasionally sell a few that get shipped out, but most of the older four bays and some of the two bays will end up getting scrapped in a few years. The newer ones will sit until they can be depreciated enough that their value is low enough to lease or sell.

Last I heard the section from Glen Echo to just south of Maitland is out of service for storage use only now. They can run into Springfield to the "back door" at CP 182 to access the DT&I and Junction yard when they run a Saturday 400/401 out of Cincy.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

midland sub wrote:...they used to receive anhydrous but were part of the STB filing against RA a couple of years ago when RA added a $10,000 tariff special move to it and other inhalation chemicals. G&W dropped the tariff, but I have yet to see or hear if they or Trupointe have started receiving it again.
What was the outcome of this? Was the special tariff considered 'legal'? I have a feeling a lot of short lines will be using such a tactic to try and 'dry up' the PIH/TIH traffic to avoid having to install PTC.

Practice Safe CSX

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

CSX_CO wrote:What was the outcome of this? Was the special tariff considered 'legal'? I have a feeling a lot of short lines will be using such a tactic to try and 'dry up' the PIH/TIH traffic to avoid having to install PTC.
The STB struck down a UP TIH tariff earlier this year.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

RA changed the TIH/PIH tariff back in 2011 to that it was now considered a special move by itself with a maximum of three cars and I&O surcharge of around $10,000 for the first car and prorated down a hair for the next two. Trupointe and Uniopolis both filed complainants with the STB that year. G&W changed the tariff in February with dropping the special move and maximum car limitation requirements. G&W also dropped the rate to $3802 per car. It was explained to me that G&W realized they had no leg to stand on with the rate since it wasn't being charged to all of the TIH/PIH shipments on the I&O. There's chlorine that comes/goes from Cincy that I know of that didn't get charged.

To my knowledge Trupointe hasn't used rail for anhydrous inbounds since the tariff change. But they did just build a new liquid fert plant on the DT&I South @ South Chuck and possibly consolidated everything to there.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The never ending struggle of the I&O......

G&W CEO and Chairman of the Board took the OCS over the OC from Newark to Columbus on Monday. I&O GM and their only TM spent Tuesday making a ultra rare move over NS and CSX to access the OC to return the CNRY cars. CSX pilot crew went along for the joy ride..... Instead of running a Wash CH Turn Tuesday night they decided to just take the two pass cars to Cincy... Walking tour of Norwood yard and Cincy trackage shut the I&O down for the most part all day Wednesday....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland, is this special movement affecting the freight operations/schedule of IORY?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yea they basically shut the south end of the railroad down from Tuesday evening to Wednesday evening.....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Two public excursions coming up on the old DT&I.....

Sunday August 25 is the annual St Paris trips. Three trips scheduled using Cincinnati Railway's pass cars and hopefully NPK 901 and former Great Miami (ex NKP 902). Trips are in open window former Montreal commuter cars.

The really rare trip in Sunday Sept 22 out of Lima to Jackson Center and return. Again three trips using the same CNRY locos and pass cars.

http://allencountymuseum.org/ACM2/Ridin_the_Rails.html