IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Me and the wife plan to chase both trips this year! I saw the ad posted on the yahoo western ohio rails group.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Just a FYI GMRY 30 is OOS right now, NKP 901 has taken over Dinner Train duties til 30 is back up and running. Hopefully 30 will be fixed for these trips

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

midland sub wrote:Sunday August 25 is the annual St Paris trips. Three trips scheduled using Cincinnati Railway's pass cars and hopefully NPK 901 and former Great Miami (ex NKP 902). Trips are in open window former Montreal commuter cars.
Is there any more details on this trip? Since I can't find anything mentioning August 25th. Times and location of departure/arrival would be nice.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Cargill in Bloomingburg will be getting a new loco sometime next week. It's a former Santa Fe GP7r still in the blue yellow scheme. Last report at CincyRails Facebook had it sitting at the engine pit at Queensgate. Haven't heard if it's replacing the former Essex Terminal SW9 or there to supplement it. Also possible that Valero realized trackmobiles aren't the answer for the ethanol plant and relying on Cargill or the I&O to help isn't the best backup option. With the I&O's current struggles it might be anywhere from Monday to sometime before Christmas before they are able to: one get the loco out of Cincy and two actually deliver it to Cargill......

The Russian roulette of customer service failures continues.......

WCH-A spent Monday recrewing the exta Wash CH Turn ran Sunday. That put off the planned run to Grove City to switch Nexio which was almost at shutdown status waiting for inbounds. Wash CH Turn crew was used Monday night to run to Grove City to spot their cars preventing a shut down... WCH-A crew on Tuesday was used to run Wash CH Turn....... Endless cycle of playing catch up from last week.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I was just coming down Sugar street in Lima as the Saturday LSL was coming back into the yard. Had 4071/4083/4072 with about 40 cars, grain, prllets and P&G cars mostly. No pig iron today. The yard is full! Maybe 40 loaded coil cars been sitting here since before Wednesday. Not the usuall IHB stuff that goes to the CF&E.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I forgot to mention that last weekend I was up by Urbana and seen where they have more of the salt cars stored on a siding south of town. Besides there and the line to Cold Springs, where else do they have stored cars on the Urbana Sub?
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

They have about 5 miles of track North of West Liberty

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

North of West Liberty to Bellefontaine is where most of the cars are stored usually.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

First unit stone train out of Melvin for the Logan Sub is supposed to be heading to Haynes for CSX to pick up tonight.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I&O 9400 and 60 loads of stone from Melvin will be taken by CSX to Columbus for a Logan Sub crew to pick up @ Parsons sometime in the next day or so. Interesting question is when or if ever the Logan Sub saw a six axle in the C&O years before the I&O...?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:I&O 9400 and 60 loads of stone from Melvin will be taken by CSX to Columbus for a Logan Sub crew to pick up @ Parsons sometime in the next day or so. Interesting question is when or if ever the Logan Sub saw a six axle in the C&O years before the I&O...?
7200+ tons for a single unit...that seems pretty impressive. There's a line or two around Saginaw MI that a single 4 axle unit can haul 60+ grain loads at slow speeds because its down grade into Saginaw.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

9400 and 5014 dragged it to Wash CH last night and then off to Haynes about 4 am. 5014 went back to Blanchester for the Blan Job today supposedly.

Part of the stone is for trackwork and the rest for the transload in Logan.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Should be a brighter future for the I&O beginning today. New direction in management.....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CSX picked up the stone train for Logan this morning at Haynes. K793 (thanks powell wye) is the symbol.

Balfour Beatty and Atlas were both working in Logan this week on replacing ties. 24 cars of stone will be spread around Logan.

New GM for the I&O started. Was part of G&W mech dept. Should make for a marked improvement from last GM. Hopefully they will be able to acquire more power they need for the upcoming grain season.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Sunday saw the first stone train finally move over the Logan Sub. At some point the I&O added 5007 to the train. A crew out of Wash CH drove up to Parsons and headed south. Conductor followed south all the way to Logan in the company Ford Explorer. Train was left for I presume the L2 crew to unload today, which I heard they did.

Made a trip to Cincy on Sunday. At Konrad was 5014-9500-5011-4070-5678. Yard full of cars along with Cargill's new GP7r. Midland main at Potter was also full of inbounds... Balfour Beatty track equipment from Logan Sub was trucked in for a project on the Midland.

At Norwood was able to see I believe CIND 2002, 2342 and CSCD 6637. One of the I&O SD40s was up by the engine house. Yard looked to be full along with the yard at Oakley on the Midland.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I&O is to get four more locos is the next couple of weeks. Two will be coming from the Ohio Central and two leased. Not sure of what type of locos they will be or who the two will be leased from. Locos out of service will also be repaired and if need be two more locos acquired from other G&W operations.

lbable
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lbable »

midland sub wrote:I&O is to get four more locos is the next couple of weeks. Two will be coming from the Ohio Central and two leased. Not sure of what type of locos they will be or who the two will be leased from. Locos out of service will also be repaired and if need be two more locos acquired from other G&W operations.
It is good to see the new GM is tackling problems already with GW support. It seemed from my perspective the railroad was on collapse in BK's leadership, seems early on it may be on the road to recovery.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

midland sub wrote:I&O is to get four more locos is the next couple of weeks. Two will be coming from the Ohio Central and two leased. Not sure of what type of locos they will be or who the two will be leased from. Locos out of service will also be repaired and if need be two more locos acquired from other G&W operations.
LTEX 210(SD38-2) went west to Willard today on Q353, could take Q365 to Lima? Just speculating.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DT&I wrote:LTEX 210(SD38-2) went west to Willard today on Q353, could take Q365 to Lima? Just speculating.
I'll have to Google this one. Seems like there was a batch of 8 SD38-2's built in the late 70's for an ore company(?) that have been bouncing around since they left said ore company. Same traction effort as the SD40-2 without the extra expense of turbo's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...