IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by Pie39 »

midland sub wrote:I&O 4030 went to the Brookville rebuild place on the B&P. No one knows its fate there.
It just went there recently?
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Left several months ago.

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by logansub »

Drove by on 33 and saw the 4030 and another unit hooked up with it. I could not catch the number but it look pretty rough and I have never seen it down here before. Wonder why they have the big units working the grain and sand cars?

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

Yeah, 4030's on the Logan Sub last I checked. Sure it wasn't 4028 that went away?

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63930868@ ... otostream/

Alright, the date is way off. This was a month ago. :lol:

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

The logan stone train was unloading today. It had a new unit with it that I have never seen before 6227 and it had HLCX wrote on it. It was gray and pretty rough looking. Anybody know where it came from? 4030 was also along.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I&O picked up a couple more HLCX units recently. 8140 is another one in full BN paint.
Bottom text.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

anyone know when the I&O comes up to Mason these days? It was Wed for the longest time but now it seems to shift between Wed, Fri and Mon. Last week I saw a loco tied down on the ex CL&N main just north of the 5th ave crossing over the weekend with about 5 cars sitting next to it on the siding. G&W made some improvements along the life from Traders Worlds down to the end of the line at Western Row Rd.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

logansub wrote: It had a new unit with it that I have never seen before 6227 and it had HLCX wrote on it. It was gray and pretty rough looking. Anybody know where it came from?
6227 is a former Quebec, North Shore & Labrador unit. It was recently leased by the BRC for service around Chicago for a year or two. 8140 was also on the BRC.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think they are running Mason job when they are able to spare a crew and power to do it.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Just heard on scanner that IORY will be making a run Springfield to Urbanna. I don't what power, just found out because the LSL with HLCX 8161 had to get their track warrant adjusted to accommodate the Springfield move.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

8/22/14. NB LSL returning to Lima at 7:38PM. Leading were HLCX 8161/I&O 4084/HLCX 8140 with 9 cars. Had 7 covered hoppers upfront: BNGX, EQUX and others and 2 MTY centerbeams: TTZX and IC heading for the yard.

PW

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Seems like they have finally figured out how to get quick turnarounds on the stone train they have been coming in every other week.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They certainly have gotten better at the turn around on those trains. Probably won't last once the grain traffic kicks in very, very soon and CSX and I&O start butting heads at Haynes trying to handle it.

Speaking of grain traffic, amazed how many farmers are getting in the fields already on the corn crop.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Does anyone have any information or latest information in regards to the LM&M Railroad near Mason, Ohio? Apparently the tourist railroad is at risk of closing at the end of the year and there are signs in the city of Lebanon that say, "Save the Train".

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

City of Lebanon owns the line from Hagemen into Lebanon and there's some push back by those on city council on ending the funding on track inspections and maintenance on the section they own. City spends a couple hundred thousand on that per year and there's a couple people that feel its subsidizing the LM&M directly. Any question of how they help the local economy should squarely be pointed out over the next couple of weeks. Thomas excursions were this weekend and next.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you midland for the info. I just watched the entire video of the city council meeting in regards to the LM&M Railroad. It appears the city is researching the idea of opening the line up to freight traffic. This would allow them to have more options to fund the maintenance of the line by having more grants to apply for. Apparently there are little to no grants available to Ohio tourist railroads at this time, and freight would give them more grant options. I think that would be very helpful as long as it helps shrink the amount of money the city is currently spending on the track maintenance which, as you mentioned, is the reason they are considering closing the line. There is another tourist railroad in Ohio that opened up to a freight operator and they were taken advantage of. I just hope they think and act cautiously with that in mind. I hope everything works out for the LM&M. They have done a great job with their passenger trains.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Without going into specifics I can say you should see something soon on a new deal between LM&M and Lebanon as the study that was done to see how much business $ the tourist train brought in came out highly in favor of LM&M......

IORY_fan

[quote="bluestreak81"]Thank you midland for the info. I just watched the entire video of the city council meeting in regards to the LM&M Railroad. It appears the city is researching the idea of opening the line up to freight traffic. This would allow them to have more options to fund the maintenance of the line by having more grants to apply for. Apparently there are little to no grants available to Ohio tourist railroads at this time, and freight would give them more grant options. I think that would be very helpful as long as it helps shrink the amount of money the city is currently spending on the track maintenance which, as you mentioned, is the reason they are considering closing the line. There is another tourist railroad in Ohio that opened up to a freight operator and they were taken advantage of. I just hope they think and act cautiously with that in mind. I hope everything works out for the LM&M. They have done a great job with their passenger trains.[/quote]
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It did have some occasional freight traffic until several years ago. Trupointe would get an occasional cov hopper of fertilizer. Once they opened their large fert warehouse on the DT&I South they shut down all the smaller ones like the one just outside Lebanon. There's another spur on the line that they store equipment on that used to be some sort of warehouse/factory.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Who operated the freight on the LM&M portion during that time? Was it NS, IORY or LM&M? It appears a bridge on the far western portion of the LM&M needs minimal repairs or at least rated again for freight usage according to the city council meeting before freight can pass over the bridge. Right now the bridge is only rated for passenger use. Since this bridge is on the far western end of the LM&M portion of the line it would be essential for this bridge to be repaired for any freight to reach potential customers.

http://thelebanonchannel.pegcentral.com ... a090a51dfc