IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by midland sub »

Hey logansub the Hocking Valley has something coming for them in the near future. Don't kniw what or when but crews cleared the trees and brush at Smead Rd for the I&O to interchange it with them.

Logan Stone train should be 80 cars for the rest of the year.

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by logansub »

I know they are refurbishing a old steam locomotive wonder if that is what is coming?! I saw they had cleared out that section of track I thought maybe they were needing more track space to hold cars. Let me know if you here when the shipment is coming for hocking valley rr.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Some this and that.....

CFE 3889 Blan Job power at the moment. Decent amount of cars sitting in Midland City for the Greenfield Sub. Supposedly making Greenfield making some head way on getting a needed federal grant for track work. Line is mostly 25 between Midland City and Leesburg with a few 10 slow orders here and there. East of Leesburg to Greenfield mostly 10 with need for some serious work. Traffic up from where it was last couple of years.

Loaded Logan Stone train sitting at Melvin. Might eventually get pulled this week and sent over to Logan. Logan stone trains should be around for several years. New road project in southern Ohio should help keep the Logan stone yard busy. Logan Sub track project should start up this week. Contractor spreading ties last couple of weeks from Canal Winchester to Lancaster. Just ties at this point. Surfacing to be next spring.

Another new unit train for Midland-DT&I South. Trupointe got a 55 car loaded liquid fert train last week. Train unloaded in South Chuck at Trupointe's fertilizer warehouse.

Old PRR main in South Chuck is owned by Trupointe and Garick. Finally saw Garick's Paygro division use rail after hearing over a year ago someone new was. Paygro buys granite from a source on CSX. It's processed, bagged and sold in Lowes and Home Depot as decorative garden rock.

Wash CH A crew ended up running to Cincy today as Wash CH Turn. 4084-4070-6227-5007 and 50 cars today from Cincy.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

What times are crews typically running the trains down south these days? What I mean is how has the call/run times up north affected the the other jobs. Are they still running a 400/401 on the Dayton District?

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice update midland

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nine times out of ten crew times are the same. Basically they get as much down as they can and whatever doesn't get done waits until the next day or the extra board re crew. Basically CSX drags everything for I&O and CIND out of Queensgate and leaves it west of town on the old B&O main to St Louis. Gets switched out and tacked together with pig iron and off to Norwood to be mixed with P&G and other NS traffic from Sharonville. So whatever gets moved, gets moved. Management at top still doesn't have a clue. Class 1 managers that got ran off from their last job or seem to be coasting to retirement now. Pretty sad. It's honestly a lot worst then what I share.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Logansub you have a couple trains coming in the next day or so. L2 crew will be heading to Logan tonight to spot a couple "hot" cars for GE. Then loaded stone train coming soon. Went to Columbus tonight after CSX dropped an empty train at Haynes, 4084-6227 and maybe 80 cars.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like they got another leaser. HLCX 7843 parked at Sugar St coupled to 4072/4028

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Should be four more they just got from Helm. 7843-7860 in BNSF H1 patched and 7180 in the HLCX blue-white scheme. There is supposed to be another ex BN green white, just haven't seen it yet to get the number. 8140 was with 5014 on the CIND Saturday with an empty rack train for Honda at CP Oklahoma. 7860 was with 4082 on short loaded train. CIND 2002 was sitting in the yard at Valley.

6227-4084-5007-4071 were the Midland power @ Konrad. Pulled a loaded ethanol train out of Valero on Sunday night. If you ever see I&O track inspector north of Valero on the main it's a sign there's a loaded ethanol train getting pulled for CSX.
alittlevanwerty wrote:Looks like they got another leaser. HLCX 7843 parked at Sugar St coupled to 4072/4028

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

I haven't seen Keynes mill take any grain cars for about a month wonder what is going on? Seems like they usually get cars in weekly. Whats going on up at Anchor hocking?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Not sure what to tell you on that. Keynes gets cars from both NS and then up north on the DT&I on the I&O. Might be just trucking in wheat while the I&O uses those cars to move grain somewhere else at the moment.

Anchor is booming right along. The tie project between Lancaster and Groveport sort of throwing stuff out of whack. Back down to just two crews working. L1 Mon-Fri 0600 and L2 1400. L2 makes run to Parson three nights a week and two to Logan. Extra crew called on Saturday to work Anchor Shuttles and work around town. Should have one last stone train coming. Empty was at Melvin Saturday morning.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Saw a movement at Scioto Tower involving I&O Locomotives powering east. Leader was a gray or primer HLCX unit with a black primered tunnel motor 9400? with IORY initials stenciled underneath the cab in the trail. The train was traveling east overhead as I was passing south on SR 315 and the train consisted of some sort of black or gray gons...more stone for the Logan Sub perhaps...
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Stone train for Logan pics of it in Canal Winchester today. I believe its 6227-9400 and 78 cars.

Loaded 90 car from Cargill was sitting at Haynes for CSX. Empty ethanol trapped at Haynes in the siding waiting for CSX to get that loaded train. Loaded ethanol @ Valero to swapped with the empty. Another loaded 90 car on the DT&I north of Konrad with CSCD 6637-4083. 4085-4071 sitting at Konrad.

WESTCO supposed to do a track project South Solon to Springfield to get the line back to 25.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

LSL departing ford park with 44x73. 117 cars! IORY 4071 leading HLCX 7843. Good luck with that run IORY

redside20

Took advantage of the the gr8 weather yesterday and decided to railfan the NS and CSX from Obetz to Chilicothe and then head over to Washington Court House. 235 was pulling out of Rickenbacker, caught 194 at Ashville, and saw an unknown westbound at Dorney in Chilicothe. Went over to Court House and checked out the usual haunts. three boxcars at Lowes, three plastic hoppers at WCH molding, nothing at Domtar. a dozen hopppers at Mars Pet Care, one boxcar at Fibertech, 1 lumber flat at Stark Truss..Don't know about the other places on the eastside but that's all I saw. Nothing at the old crew office or around there at Potter, 10 cars outside the city limits on the Handy Track. Out at Konrad on one track 20 verasun hoppers for Sabina and what looked to be a road train preparing for the trip to Springfield. All four GW units and two CSX locos were spotted at the yard office. Lots of traffic keeping Valero busy and a cut of hoppers parked on the main north of Madison Mills and a handful of hoppers at Derby.
Exit stage left

redside20

Midland Sub what is going on over at Blue Grass Farms? Passed by on I71 last sunday and saw a block of covered hoppers sitting there on the spur clear up to the road and there were still some containers there. I thought the containers stopped?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nothing is going on. Those are empty DDG hoppers for Valero that are being stored there for the time being to get them out of the way. BGF is business as usual, still trucking containers to Rickenbacker.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Nothing is going on. Those are empty DDG hoppers for Valero that are being stored there for the time being to get them out of the way. BGF is business as usual, still trucking containers to Rickenbacker.
midland, are you surprised BGF has not worked out? It seemed like a tough market to enter hauling containers that short a distance. Is there something that I&O may develop in the future? Did I&O invest any of their money into the project?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Just depends on whether you are looking at this as a short term or long term project. Short term it was used for a little over a year, but I don't know how many containers were actually moved by rail. The goal was supposed to be 70 to 75 containers a week. Not 100% certain why they suddenly stopped last January or if the Columbus interchange issue is the sticking point.

Long term you really have to look at two things. One is the future of the grain export market. In the last 5 to 10 years the number of smaller regional grain operations that have begun to load corn into 20 and 40 foot containers themselves has really taken off, especially in central and western Ohio. Nothing really special in what they're doing either other than backing up a container to a simple set up of a long pipe that shoots the grain into the container. They seal the container up with an old fashion plywood and cardboard set up similar to what railroads did with 40 ft boxcars until the introduction of covered hoppers. Same thing is going on with ddg from ethanol plants. BGF takes it a step farther by processing and bagging soybeans. Using a set up like the Central Ohio Logistics Center BGF built allows them to max out the containers to their full allowable weight that trucking them to Rickenbacker does not. Take a minute to check out the set up for BGF on Google maps. They spent a lot of money into track set up that goes beyond just simply loading containers. There's a track that runs beside the two 500,000 bushel silos BGF built to load covered hoppers and along with on that same spot numerous spots to unload covered hoppers. The other half of the equation is across from the logistics center and the large super site that sits there ready to be developed for something like the Honda plant that it was in the running for ten years ago. There's plans if needed to extend the tracks into the super site or even the potential to just use the current container set up.

The I&O didn't invest a thing. WESTCO pushed a planned track project for the DT&I South up to go along with the opening of it. The project was funded by the State of Ohio with loans. Now whether there's any truth that BGF was required to use rail for one year to have the loans forgiven by the state I'm not privy to that info. There's enough people convinced that's true and part of the reason why they stopped using rail last year. Counter to that is the visual evidence of all the extra set up rail wise they placed into building the set up. The owners of BGF also own the land for the supersite for what that's worth. I would say at some point in the not so distant future we will see a return to rail by BGF.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, midland. Appreciate the detailed info.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...