IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by midland sub »

Indeed it is a small word.

Most of the Domtar problems are due to CSX and the I&O. Either CSX can't get it to Cincy very quickly or the typical I&O problems. Cincy crews usually don't have time to block traffic from CSX so if pig iron and P&G are moving via the Midland it just makes things slower. Crews have to work it Konrad switch in it out so it sits there until a crew can spot it. Seems to be better now since pig iron and other stuff is running via the Dayton Dist.

Possibly some huge changes coming to both the I&O and OC in how they interchange with CSX and NS that could really make stuff move better.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

Just a quick update from the Lebanon / Mason area. Major work is being done between Monroe and the end of the line just south of Western Row Rd. I'm not the best on all RR lingo but extensive tie replacement has taken place between Traders World and Bunnel Rd. The work is continuing from Bunnel Rd to Western Row Rd. I've heard that maybe 2 new customers will be using the rail line. Not substantiated but judging by the massive work being done, it wouldn't be a far fetch. Also, this next year will be year two of a 2 year deal between LMM Railroad and Lebanon. If they had to vote the approve another deal beyond 2014 today, it'd likely fail. The future of the RR in Lebanon seems somewhat uncertain.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I heard several months ago there was company looking into loading scrap using the Traders World siding, but I haven't heard anything more about it. G&W is really pushing ahead on catching up on the years of neglect from RA ownership. If they weren't getting a ORDC grant the work wasn't going to happen. Haven't heard anything about any other new customers.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

A few notes:

Melvin Stone loaded another train for Melvin. Sixty cars with two I&O 4080s went to Haynes Monday night followed by a empty 80 car fert train from South Chuck. South Chuck loading a 90 car with an empty 65 car waiting to be loaded. Mechanicsburg loading a ninety car train.

Cargill also loading a 90 car train. Valero has a loaded ethanol train to pull plus two empties on the way.

Sabina Farmers/Premier @ Melvin loaded their first unit grain train for the year. Most of their soybeans end up at Bunge at Decatur on the CFE. They have a very large pile of corn this year so unit trains are back this year for them.

Blan Job dragged 51 cars out of Konrad on Monday with 3887. Not sure how they made the grade west of Wash CH.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Blan Job dragged 51 cars out of Konrad on Monday with 3887. Not sure how they made the grade west of Wash CH.
As always I enjoy your updates on operations. Is it possible they doubled their train to make the grade west of WCH?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I would assume they just turned on the sanders and crossed their fingers and toes hoping to make it like usual. They've dragged empty sixty five car grain trains to Melvin before with just a single GP38. I presume a good deal of the cars were for Melvin yesterday. Either empty stone cars or covered hoppers for Premier.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

What is the status of the Cold Springs-Maitland section? I've been told conflicting things. A.) The storage cars are gone and it's being used again. B.) It's still currently not in use.

Additionally, how often is the train from Cincinnati running?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I can confirm the storage cars are definitely gone on the Maitland to Cold Springs section.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 937TrainFan »

Ok so this is severely off topic... but I was looking at aerial photos of modern day Cold Springs junction on Google earth, and does anyone else notice what looks like to be an Urban Warfare/SWAT training facility just southwest of the junction? It is directly south of the east end of the NS Erie Siding on the west end of Springfield for those unfamiliar with the area. I know this is random yet I thought it was just peculiar in its location. If anyone has any idea on what this is please share with me.
Last edited by 937TrainFan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

937TrainFan wrote:Ok so this is severely off topic... but I was looking at aerial photos of modern day Cold Springs junction on Google earth, and does anyone else notice what looks like to be an Urban Warfare/SWAT training facility just southwest of the junction? It is directly south of the east end of the NS Erie Siding on the west end Springfield or those unfamiliar with the area. I know this is random yet I thought it was just peculiar in its location. If anyone has any idea on what this is please share with me.
Well What makes you think it's a possible SWAT/MOUT training facility?
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 937TrainFan »

At first I thought it was a paintball course, but what made me think it was a training facility is the tower building in the upper left corner. I would assume this would be so the training officers could view how things were going? The layout of all the different buildings are also interesting. They have everything from full home layouts to apartment/hotel rooms.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

If the storage cars are gone I would assume that it was put back into service to make it a Tremont meet between the 401/401 crew and the LSL. Makes the trip much quicker for both instead of trying to mess around at Junction.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

937TrainFan wrote:At first I thought it was a paintball course, but what made me think it was a training facility is the tower building in the upper left corner. I would assume this would be so the training officers could view how things were going? The layout of all the different buildings are also interesting. They have everything from full home layouts to apartment/hotel rooms.
Well that sounds about right for a SWAT/MOUT training center but more likely MOUT training with that many different layouts. Doesn't sound military as you didn't mention nearby bases so it could be private security contractors? General Dynamics Defense Systems is HQ in Lima for the tanks but who knows what else they do.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

yes it is used by LE for training purposes. I cannot divulge anything else but I called a friend of mine who is in law enforcement in the area and they confirmed to me that LE both local and federal us that from time to time. Very cool observation!
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Today I saw the Urbana Sub local backing up to Maitland on my way home from work today. Couldn't see the power as it was at the opposite end of the train(it was backing up with no engine on the rear). This was one of the biggest locals I have seen in the almost two years of living here, it had about 20 plus covered hoppers and an undetermined amount of boxcars in its consist.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

conrailman75 wrote:Today I saw the Urbana Sub local backing up to Maitland on my way home from work today. Couldn't see the power as it was at the opposite end of the train(it was backing up with no engine on the rear). This was one of the biggest locals I have seen in the almost two years of living here, it had about 20 plus covered hoppers and an undetermined amount of boxcars in its consist.
IIRC there are a pair of elevators that will combine to ship unit grain periodically. I think there's a paper plant that gets the box cars.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

AARR wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:Today I saw the Urbana Sub local backing up to Maitland on my way home from work today. Couldn't see the power as it was at the opposite end of the train(it was backing up with no engine on the rear). This was one of the biggest locals I have seen in the almost two years of living here, it had about 20 plus covered hoppers and an undetermined amount of boxcars in its consist.
IIRC there are a pair of elevators that will combine to ship unit grain periodically. I think there's a paper plant that gets the box cars.
Wasn't a paper plant, but International Fiber made Synthetic Fibers or something of that nature. The plant was in serious limbo a few years back thanks to a lockout or whatever nasty work stoppage that was going on and hasn't seen a boxcar in the same time frame. Grain hoppers are for elevators West Liberty and Urbana. boxcars go to Damewood Enterprises or whatever the warehouse is called now located on the westside of Urbana. And as for plastic customers, Orbis Menasha sees quite a but of plastic traffic and the plastic transflo at Glen Echo near the Navistar Plant.
Exit stage left

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

The last couple of weeks, I've noticed grain trains for the I&O off the NS at CP Russ with CSX power sitting on the Central Avenue Viaduct in front of the Mound Street Crossing idling. Up until a few weeks ago, I've never seen CSX do this as it looks as if they are changing crews at Mound Street for the time being. Don't know if another CSX crew gets on or if an I&O crew takes over from there. I know I&O crews can only go as far as Grove City but it is an interesting place to park the train because the ROW is elevated and there are no grade crossings between CP Russ and Mound Street.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Indeed I&O crews rarely go past MP 109 in Grove City, but they can go all the way to Russ (MP 114 on the Midland). I&O crews dumped the stone on last fall's track project from MP 109 to Russ. Plus they ran all the way to Russ on the two autorack trains CSX detoured over the Midland back in 2008 for 6 weeks.

I would say that what you're seeing redside is CSX is deciding to do re crews on grain/ethanol/fert trains if need be at Mound St vs Russ because of the weather conditions. Just way to much snow and ice to safely drive up that access road at Russ.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

A couple of I&O sightings from this week so far by me in the Springfield area. First was on Monday afternoon as I was driving home from work, I saw an I&O train on the NS Dayton District going over US 68 as I drove underneath. Power was JFDX 8045, IORY 4070, 4083, what cars I could see before I was out of visual sight were gondolas. And then today when I left at 2:30 from work, I saw the Urbana Sub local coming down as I drove over the line on the State Road 41 bridge. Train was too far away to get a good look at the power, it looked like possibly the orange G&W painted unit was leading it, but couldn't really tell for sure.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH