IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by midland sub »

WCH Turn and Melvin Stone Rock Runner jobs abolished last week.

Sixty car Melvin Stone train taken to Haynes for CSX Monday night. Train left on main white power went to Russ to pick up hi-wide for AEP in Grove City. NS dropped off at Russ for I&O. Power was 9500-4030.

Set of CSX power on a Mechanicsburg grain train struck a tree in the storms from last Thursday night. Both locos damaged from it.

WCH-B going to Cincy today via the Midland to bring up more Midland cars the 400/401 can't handle.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Today after work I spotted a grain train sitting south of Maitland, with its train stretched back under US 68 and over Upper Valley Pike Road. The train was mostly CSX cars along with a few Conrail cars, the lead engine was the CFE 388X(not sure of the last digit) and it was pointed north.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Yesterday after work on my way home I spotted the Urbana Sub local stopped at Maitland diamond. Train was a mix of boxcars and covered hoppers(just for AARR, I counted I think 14 boxcars and 7 or 8 covered hoppers). Power was one of the red and gray EMD's(couldn't see the number from the highway).
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Another Melvin Stone train should be unloading at Logan. 9500 and OC 4030 power this time.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

The I&O will be operating between Springfield and McCullough Mo-Sat as R-2 over the NS as IORY -01-09 and will connect with LSL and WCH -B at Springfield. If they haven't started doing that already.
Last edited by redside20 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

conrailman75 wrote:Yesterday after work on my way home I spotted the Urbana Sub local stopped at Maitland diamond. Train was a mix of boxcars and covered hoppers(just for AARR, I counted I think 14 boxcars and 7 or 8 covered hoppers). Power was one of the red and gray EMD's(couldn't see the number from the highway).
I don't have my notes in front of me but it seems like a lot of box cars. There's the one that gets 3-4 a month of pulpwood (something like that). Must be something else over there who gets them.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

AARR wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:Yesterday after work on my way home I spotted the Urbana Sub local stopped at Maitland diamond. Train was a mix of boxcars and covered hoppers(just for AARR, I counted I think 14 boxcars and 7 or 8 covered hoppers). Power was one of the red and gray EMD's(couldn't see the number from the highway).
I don't have my notes in front of me but it seems like a lot of box cars. There's the one that gets 3-4 a month of pulpwood (something like that). Must be something else over there who gets them.
Damewood Enterprises in Urbana is the customer that receives the most boxcar traffic..Gets regular boxcars and refridgerated reefer boxcars for a customer in the Springfield Area. Another customer is International Fibers and they might be the ones that get the pulpwood, but they went on strike last year and not sure if the boxcar traffic came back. The plastic hoppers most likely came from Orbis Menasha in Urbana or the plastic transload facility for Tech 2 Plastics by the Navistar Plant near Glen Echo.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:Damewood Enterprises in Urbana is the customer that receives the most boxcar traffic.
Did Damewood go by another name in the past?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Lasted two weeks and the Wash CH Turn was brought back. Extra crew will handle it for the rest of the week. Sunday night will be official return Sun-Fri. Trestle work in Wash CH should be done until spring. DT&I traffic should be back after grain season.

Many interesting things brewing in Ohio with G&W and CSX and NS.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

International Fiber Used to get an occasional boxcar in Urbana. Believe they are shut down. They sometimes will let empties from Damewood sit if they spotted or are pulling a grain train at Urbana.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Today after work I spotted the Urbana Sub local heading up to Urbana with the CFE 3883 and the Ohio Central painted EMD and a very short train(3-5 cars) around 2:40pm.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

conrailman75 wrote:Today after work I spotted the Urbana Sub local heading up to Urbana with the CFE 3883 and the Ohio Central painted EMD and a very short train(3-5 cars) around 2:40pm.
You sure it was 3883? It was in Ft Wayne at 1pm yesterday.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Maybe it was 3887, I did try to get the number as I drove by at 65 MPH on US 68 so perhaps I misread it :?
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Prob was the 3887. It's been around Springfield and Wash CH the past month or so I believe. They should have been heading up to work Urbana and pull a loaded train from either West Liberty or Urbana.

Mechanicsburg loaded a 90 car train on Friday-Saturday. It went back to CSX on Sunday night.

Sad news DT&I caboose #123 that the I&O inherited from GT is headed for the scrapper. Should be gone this week.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

A week ago, there were maybe 7 cars at the business south of Logan. 2 cuts were seperated on the "main line" and a few were at the factory track itself. I believe 3885 was in the actual yard, looked shut down.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think it's 3884- 3885 is up in Michigan somewhere. Good to hear that Smead had so many cars. Should be another stone train for Logan very soon. Thanks for the update.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Heritage was still loading a grain train as of 3:45 sunday afternoon on my way back to PC, CSX power and cars.

One of the units was #5

Forgot the number of the other

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

midland sub wrote:I think it's 3884- 3885 is up in Michigan somewhere. Good to hear that Smead had so many cars. Should be another stone train for Logan very soon. Thanks for the update.
3885 is on the Michigan Shore out of Muskegon.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CSX 5253

jallenp7 wrote:Heritage was still loading a grain train as of 3:45 sunday afternoon on my way back to PC, CSX power and cars.

One of the units was #5

Forgot the number of the other

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hey midland, I met the VP of Domtar's paper operations and had a nice long talk with him about a lot of things. The subject of rail service to the WCH plant came up. He said he noticed they switch from truck to rail more frequently than other plants. Since the WCH plant decides on the mode of transportation he figured they must have time-sensitive production schedules to meet and truck when JIT is a factor and use rail when it isn't.

Small world sometimes, isn't it :) It wouldn't surprise me if you and I accidently meet someday 8)