IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by midland sub »

New GM and Asst GM took over on Monday. GM prior UP and I believe a southern California Railamerica line the asst. came from CSX. Huge mess to clean up. Grain traffic is really heavy on the Midland and Springfield lines. Empty Valero train waiting at Parsons too.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Does the IORY Mechanicsburg job run through the diamond at Lagonda (Springfield)?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yep. They come off of the DT&I and use connection on the southwest side of the diamond to access the Mechanicsburg line.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Train is heading north on the DT&I about to cross the old NYC. Connection is in the foreground to the right.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/9 ... 814915.jpg

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well I ran out of time but if anybody is near Springfield 5011 will running to Mechanicsburg sometime soon.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Well I ran out of time but if anybody is near Springfield 5011 will running to Mechanicsburg sometime soon.
IIRC the only customer on the line is the huge elevator that ships around 1700 cars a year and might receive some fertilizer.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Too bad I ran out of time, still haven't caught 5011 yet. Also the WCH-B came in late so I would have gotten 3 IORY trains in Springfield had I had another half an hour. Maybe sometime I'll get a northbound through here but for now here is a southbound
IORY 5013 HLCX 8161 at Lagonda diamond Springfield Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Had the spot by the river not been overgrown at this time of the year I'd have not seeked out this location. I didn't know these old semaphores were down here!

Also tomorrow we will be doing the second trip on the Hocking Valley and I am hoping to catch the IORY operation down that way. If they are tied down and not working where would I find their power? Also where does the Hocking Valley keep their power and cars?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice catch. I assume you found the two old approach semaphores on the DT&I @ Lagonda. The southbound is behind you and the northbound just around the curve next to that building. Both are in the fixed position and aren't lit. Never actually seen the tilt signal there used.

I assume they took the 5011 up to Mechanicsburg to get a loaded grain train that probably had CSX power with it.

Konrad will probably have a few locos on your way east tomorrow.

Logan Sub has 5007 and 3884. Both were in Lancaster at Collins Rd crew office tonight. One crew will be definitely working tomorrow doing the morning and afternoon Anchor Shuttle.

Everything for the Hocking Scenic is in Nelsonville.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Chased the LSL today with 8045/5678 leading 108 cars. Traffic was approx 25 P&G tanks with 3 empty covered hoppers with the rest of the trains being empty gons. Heard on the scanner they could only bring Cincy cars since there was no room in Springfield. I would have gotten a shot of them crossing Lagonda but they stopped north of the 41 overpass for over an hour. Never heard a word on the scanner from any IORY crew by Springfield to know why they stopped. Better luck tomorrow or next week...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Prob had to wait for the WCH-B to get to Springfield to swap trains. South of Lima the railroad is a giant mess.

Loaded stone train for Logan went to Haynes today.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

Anyone know is the IORY local worked Mason yesterday?
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Tracks were pretty rusty on Sunday when we were in Mason.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Too bad I ran out of time, still haven't caught 5011 yet. Also the WCH-B came in late so I would have gotten 3 IORY trains in Springfield had I had another half an hour. Maybe sometime I'll get a northbound through here but for now here is a southbound
IORY 5013 HLCX 8161 at Lagonda diamond Springfield Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Had the spot by the river not been overgrown at this time of the year I'd have not seeked out this location. I didn't know these old semaphores were down here!

Also tomorrow we will be doing the second trip on the Hocking Valley and I am hoping to catch the IORY operation down that way. If they are tied down and not working where would I find their power? Also where does the Hocking Valley keep their power and cars?
You weren't the only one at that spot that day Scott, talked to Steve Neff of Neff video the following day and he caught that train at Lagonda as well, but obviously in a different spot than you were because he never saw you either.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Set of BNSF Gevos at South Chuck. Loco derailed on old PRR shoving loaded fert train to Trupointe. Loco has something damaged and can't be moved.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

conrailman75 wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote:Too bad I ran out of time, still haven't caught 5011 yet. Also the WCH-B came in late so I would have gotten 3 IORY trains in Springfield had I had another half an hour. Maybe sometime I'll get a northbound through here but for now here is a southbound

You weren't the only one at that spot that day Scott, talked to Steve Neff of Neff video the following day and he caught that train at Lagonda as well, but obviously in a different spot than you were because he never saw you either.
Wonder where he was set up? I was set up at Chamion rd on the edge of the pavement facing the diamond. Wonder if he filmed them departing for Lima and filmed from the same spot?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Wednesday on my way home from work I spotted the southbound train from Lima coming up to Maitland. The power was JFDX 8045 and IORY 4084(?) - not positive on that second unit. This is the first time I have seen one of the turns come into Springfield since I moved down here in 2012.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

As the rusty wheel turns and derails..... the confusion continues to boil over on the south end.

Depending on who's in charge for the day or you're talking to the new operating plan for south of Lima is everything is routed via the Dayton District again. On top of the expected pig iron and P&G, Midland traffic is now included. Plan is for crew out of McCullough to make a Mon-Sat trip to Springfield and back over Dayton Dist as 400/401. They meet LSL at either Tremont or Junction in Springfield. DT&I traffic is swapped and Midland traffic left for either a Springfield crew or Wash CH to take to Konrad. No one can figure out how it's supposed to work. Junction was supposedly cleaned out to handle the Midland traffic. Problem is the Midland traffic doesn't seem to make it on the 400/401...... No clear reason other than new GM thinks its better to pay to run over someone else's tracks......

Loaded fert train derailed in South Chuck last Thursday with BNSF power. One loco ended up with truck damage and had to sit for repairs. I&O had 10 empty grain trains for Haynes en route as of Monday....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Depending on who's in charge for the day or you're talking to the new operating plan for south of Lima is everything is routed via the Dayton District again.
So if the customer is between Cinncy and WCH on Midland Sub that car has to back track west from WCH toward Cinncy? I must not understand something :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

AARR if they stick to the new plan nothing will move over the Midland from Oakley (Cincy) to Blanchester. Everything will head north to Springfield on via NS trackage rights. Get set out in Springfield and then go 30 miles back south on the DT&I to Wash CH. Midland traffic can be anywhere from 40 to 100 plus cars a day depending on how much ddg and ethanol Valero is shipping and what Melvin Stone is loading. Avoiding Wash CH at the moment with DT&I traffic makes sense with grain season in full swing, Valero shipping a unit train of ethanol a week and Melvin Stone trying to beat the winter shut down.

Question was asked to the new management why not to split the DT&I and Midland traffic into two separate trains a day and run them via the Midland-DT&I South or the DT&I traffic via the Dayton Dist just when needed. Deer in headlights response............. :shock: