AARR Lease of Two Segments of NS Track in Toledo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

AARR Lease of Two Segments of NS Track in Toledo

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: AARR Lease of Two Segments of NS Track in Toledo

Unread post by railohio »

So if I read it right, this is the two industrial lines northeast of downtown Toledo, roughly parallel to Summit Street and Champlain Street.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Both of these lines are at the south end of AA's Toledo track and connect approximately at Manhattan Blvd Jct.

The Cherry St branch services a glass plant. Ironically Cherry St was the old AA mp 0 but was abandoned years ago. AA's Cherry St mainline paralleled Hocking Valley or W&LE's (?) to the same location.

The Galena branch is already switched by AA servicing the alphalpha mill. But at the end of the line is the Toledo Blade that AA will now be servicing.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

AARR (the poster) is correct as to the location of these two newly leased AARR (the railroad) lines. Here is a link to a more extensive version of the STB post, which includes an aerial view of the two lines, with milepost locations noted:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 234473.pdf

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

AARR still keep continuing a railroad lines of business. Does STB rejected WATCO Co buy them yet? I am a little confuses. :?:
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

railohio

Ann Arbor is still the operating entity under Watco ownership.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

And in a nod to the AA's long history,like the Wisconsin Southern,is not going to repaint their locomotives from the classic DT&I/AA orange to Watco Black & Yellow.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:And in a nod to the AA's long history,like the Wisconsin Southern,is not going to repaint their locomotives from the classic DT&I/AA orange to Watco Black & Yellow.
4 of their loco's are painted in UP colors...think I'd rather see the Watco bumble bee scheme
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

AARR wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:And in a nod to the AA's long history,like the Wisconsin Southern,is not going to repaint their locomotives from the classic DT&I/AA orange to Watco Black & Yellow.
4 of their loco's are painted in UP colors...think I'd rather see the Watco bumble bee scheme
At this point, I honestly could agree. Just make 7802 an official heritage unit and call it a day.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

iKJames wrote:
AARR wrote:
At this point, I honestly could agree. Just make 7802 an official heritage unit and call it a day.
I'm half surprised they haven't dumped off that last one yet. Regardless, it'd be cool to see the whole fleet in a retro Annie Orange scheme but I'd settle for a Watco dip job. In the current pseudo UP scheme I just don't bother these days and unfortunately I doubt that'll change anytime soon. Plus I've been there, done that and wrote the article. ;)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MDH wrote:Plus I've been there, done that and wrote the article. ;)
Very good article! But someone mistakenly labeled the GP38's as 38-2's :wink:

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

AARR wrote:
What article?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

59caddy wrote:
AARR wrote:
What article?
Michael Harding, aka MDH, had an article about Ann Arbor Railway published in Rail Fan / Rail News (did I get the name right?) magazine a few months ago.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Railfan & Railroad, since you asked.

railohio

And the decision is an interesting read:

https://www.federalregister.gov/article ... ay-company

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

railohio wrote:And the decision is an interesting read:

I think the petition was declined because there is concern that AARR will not interchange traffic with other railroads other than NS. Can someone who understands legalize confirm.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

AARR wrote:I think the petition was declined because there is concern that AARR will not interchange traffic with other railroads other than NS.
That's because you don't like CSX. :lol:

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

AARR wrote:
railohio wrote:And the decision is an interesting read:

I think the petition was declined because there is concern that AARR will not interchange traffic with other railroads other than NS. Can someone who understands legalize confirm.
Seems to me they granted the exemption which means that the petition wasn't declined but approved. Commisioner Mulvey dissents but the board grants the exemption anyway. Sounds like the deal goes through.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Per an article in RR Illustrated the lease of the two lines will result in additional traffic of 925 cars per year for the AARR. On the Galena track this means paper for the Blade, as well as alfalfa from the mill. On the Cherry Street track this means raw material (soda? sand? something else) for Libbey Glass. Going forward I would not be surprised to someday see CSX lease or sell to AARR, what remains of the TT. AARR already owns Temperance Yard, the terminus of the TT. CSX switches OmniSource on the TT, with AARR serving GM (assuming they still get service, and I'm not sure they do), Smucker's, as well as the "fluff" that is transloaded in Temperance Yard. The team track by which Smucker's gets service also sees an occsasional oddball load, ie I saw a transformer sitting on a flatcar there a few months ago. Those are the only customers I am aware of on the TT, as the lumberyard that used to get loads has been closed for several years. OmniSource does generate considerable business for CSX, so perhaps that alone makes it worth their while to hold on to the TT.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jimnorthwood wrote:Per an article in RR Illustrated the lease of the two lines will result in additional traffic of 925 cars per year for the AARR. On the Galena track this means paper for the Blade, as well as alfalfa from the mill. On the Cherry Street track this means raw material (soda? sand? something else) for Libbey Glass. Going forward I would not be surprised to someday see CSX lease or sell to AARR, what remains of the TT. AARR already owns Temperance Yard, the terminus of the TT. CSX switches OmniSource on the TT, with AARR serving GM (assuming they still get service, and I'm not sure they do), Smucker's, as well as the "fluff" that is transloaded in Temperance Yard. The team track by which Smucker's gets service also sees an occsasional oddball load, ie I saw a transformer sitting on a flatcar there a few months ago. Those are the only customers I am aware of on the TT, as the lumberyard that used to get loads has been closed for several years. OmniSource does generate considerable business for CSX, so perhaps that alone makes it worth their while to hold on to the TT.
AA already switches the alfalfa mill. Toledo Blade will be a new customer as will Libby Glass. Unfortunately GM in Temperance Yard has not shipped by rail in a long time from what I hear. Smuckers for some reason gets their tank cars delivered to the team track instead of the spur into their plant. Maybe that has changed but when I last went by there early this year that's where the tank cars were being unloaded.