IORY North End

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

IORY North End

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

Northbound I&O at Metamora this morning at 9:45. Mixed consist, single engine running long hood forward. I have never fanned the I&O but only have sporatically caught them. What kind of frequency do they have north of Lima?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: IORY North End

Unread post by AARR »

They keep an engine at Delta which works north to Flat Rock several days per week.

I thought the same Delta crew works south to Lima on the days they don't run to Flat Rock but I've read that a Lima based crew will run to Delta as needed.

So perhaps one train a day operates somewhere north of Lima.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

As has been mentioned here several other times in several threads because several people continue to ask and ask without looking for themselves...

The Delta Switcher crew goes on duty at 6 or 7 a.m. Monday-Friday and usually Saturday. They go north to Flat Rock 3-4 times a week and return south in the afternoon/evening. On days where they don't go to Flat Rock, they work around Delta and go south to Leipsic or Ottawa if needed. They also pull grain trains from CSX in Hamler from time to time. The LNL runs north from Lima in the middle of the night to drop and pick up cars in Delta and can sometimes be seen shortly after sunrise on their return trip south. Andersons Metamora loads both 65 and 90 car grain trains, and 90 car trains come from CSX in Lima and run thru with CSX power. All the 65 car trains are interchanged at Hamler.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

First time I've seen it all put together in one post. I think I can remember it now :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

I'm almost sorry I asked......

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Very good chance they will be busier in a year or so......

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jwilliam33 wrote:I'm almost sorry I asked......
Don't be sorry you asked. I was wondering the same thing as you. Y@ did a very nice job detailing it. All is good :D

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

midland sub wrote:Very good chance they will be busier in a year or so......
Why do you say that?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:
midland sub wrote:Very good chance they will be busier in a year or so......
Why do you say that?
The Ford traffic is coming back. Supposed to be two trains per day, one finished and the other parts. Going to use the Dayton Sub to Cinncy. Also, picked up the coke traffic that used to go on CN or CSX by W&LE. Supposed to deliver it to Lima every three days. IORY will deliver it to Flat Rock, CN will take it the rest of the way to Severstal in Rouge.

:wink:

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Just something new is coming down on the south end. Once the ground is broken on the project we will discuss it more.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

What's this about ford traffic coming back and running the Dayton District? Is it really true? That would sure make it easier to shoot some of the new G&W orange repaints in the future if it was :)
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'd be highly skeptical of that. The days of auto parts moving by rail are mostly over.
conrailman75 wrote:What's this about ford traffic coming back and running the Dayton District? Is it really true? That would sure make it easier to shoot some of the new G&W orange repaints in the future if it was :)

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Almost all automotive in just in time delivery now, no warehouses, no transloading facilities, etc. You build it, it goes on a truck that day, it gets to where it is going the next day and immediately comes out of the truck and goes onto the next process. It does not lend itself well to rail shipment at all unless it's TOFC, COFC or a Road Railer. Most automotive component plants are not even on rail lines anymore.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

He didn't realize AARR made up that rumor.

As for the new traffic source, once they break ground I'll be the first to share the info.
conrailman75 wrote:What's this about ford traffic coming back and running the Dayton District? Is it really true? That would sure make it easier to shoot some of the new G&W orange repaints in the future if it was :)

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

AARR if you're going to use the wayback machine, you have to remember what you're going back for. Going back to the DT&I/GT days the coke never came from Cincy. It came north from south of Springfield on the DT&I. It came from the N&W first at Ironton and then later at Waverly and then north via Wash CH and Springfield. Up until the GT quit running to Waverly and Glen Jean in 1987, most of the traffic was coke and autoracks. So close, but still irrelevant! :lol:

AARR wrote:The Ford traffic is coming back. Supposed to be two trains per day, one finished and the other parts. Going to use the Dayton Sub to Cinncy. Also, picked up the coke traffic that used to go on CN or CSX by W&LE. Supposed to deliver it to Lima every three days. IORY will deliver it to Flat Rock, CN will take it the rest of the way to Severstal in Rouge.

:wink:

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ didn't you say that the switch was put in @ Leipsic to the track to the ethanol plant and the steel place?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Yep, the switch was put in several months back.
Bottom text.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I caught the LNL this morning, got ahead of them in Cairo. Left the yard about 9:30am. Also CFE 3884 has made it to Lima again.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

So they went up in daylight? Must have been the LSL crew on the LNL job.
Bottom text.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Can't say for sure. Didn't recognise the conductor. Someone was warming up 9400 while I was filming this so I believe there was 3 crews working out of Sugar St. 3884 was off working somewhere when I passed though this morning. In the afternoon the 4071 was back and off line but 9400 had gone south.