IORY North End

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: IORY North End

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:IORY crew at Uniopolis picking up a grain train to take to Hamler. CSX 870 leader. Big year for Uniopolis, they got a mountain of grain stored outside on the ground!
midland or anyone else, would you happen to know why grain is taken to Hamler rather than a southern connection like Cinncy or where ever else they interchange with CSX?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Corn from the Ohio region for the most part is going south to the Carolinas and moves south via the C&O. CSX tries their best to keep grain traffic out of the congestion of Cincy and Queensgate.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

alittlevanwerty wrote:IORY crew at Uniopolis picking up a grain train to take to Hamler. CSX 870 leader. Big year for Uniopolis, they got a mountain of grain stored outside on the ground!
Usually the CSX power equipped trains have been transferred to CSX at Cairo.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

JoJames wrote:
They ran light to Uniopolis to pick up the train and got their track warrant to take it with CSX 870 north to mp 97.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

Northbound I&O LNLX (Z869) about to meet a southbound at Ottawa @ 11:50am. IORY 4084 on point with 2696ft of train and 158 axles.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:
JoJames wrote:
They ran light to Uniopolis to pick up the train and got their track warrant to take it with CSX 870 north to mp 97.
I had to wait on this train Saturday afternoon as I was driving back thru Lima on my way home. Saw the power over at Ford Park in the morning but couldn't see the numbers. My friend who works for the IORY says that all the grain trains out of Uniopolis are to get CSX power.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

So here's one for you guys...

I was in Deshler tonight and heard the I&O talking to RM at Hamler about going south, so I headed over to investigate. Turns out they had the CSX 8547 and CSX 8053, so my initial thought was it was a 90 car loaded train heading back to be handed off at Cairo. That wasn't the case. It was a 65 car train that they were going to shove into the east siding at Hamler. CSX power is only supposed to stay with the 90 car trains, so I dunno what's up here. Have they stolen these units for the time being?
Bottom text.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Yeah, CSX has plenty of engines, they won't miss a couple for a day or 2, right? :mrgreen:

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Y@ the deal with CSX is the I&O has free use for the first 24 hours with the power on 90 car grain trains. Was supposed to be just 90 car trains but now it's on smaller ones and unit fert trains down on the south end. If there's a set sitting around Wash CH and they are 100% sure they can get to Cincy and back on time they like to use them on the Wash CH Turn. They used a set of CP beavers that came down on a grain train to run to Cincy and back a couple of weeks age. Tore up a BNSF GEVO last month when it derailed on a fert train in October. Never know what you'll get sometimes. Same goes with the CIND on the Honda trains, though it's usually NS power for them. The

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

After about 4 days of no movement on the north end (at least between Delta and Lima) because of the massive snowstorm that arrived on Sunday, IORY 4071 is leading a southbound Z869-08 into the Ottawa Loop at Kleman. This train is finally moving south after being dead north of XN in Leipsic since the Sunday morning of the snowstorm. The 4071 and one of the 4080s ran north earlier this afternoon to retrieve it, and do some other work around Leipsic.

Edit: Consist is IORY 4071, IORY 4082, CSXT 111, CSXT 222, and what looked like a 90 car grain train.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Here's one for the IORY guys. I&O running south again today, this time as a Z831, about to meet two northbounds (Q512 and Q042) at Ottawa. I know the RR is still probably a little thrown off from the storm, but I've never heard this symbol before.
Last edited by heartlandguy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Z are usually "guest" railroads

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Z831-09 by DT&I Junction at around 1:50pm. IORY 5014 (G&W paint) and 4082 with around 30 cars of mixed freight (loaded centerbeams, CN boxcars, lots of covered hoppers, a 10-15 car block of pig iron mtys, and some coil cars on the rear). Not sure why the different symbol, might've just been a fluke thing, who knows...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

jallenp7 wrote:Z are usually "guest" railroads
He knows that, he's talking about the 831 being used as opposed to the normal "Z86x" symbol.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Raising this thread from the dead . I&O ran two northbounds today: an extra LNL and an empty grain train. Didn't see the LNLX, but the empty grainer had a solo CSX GE.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The grain had two CSX C40-8W's. I saw them pull into the loop around 05:30 and the I&O crew took it north around 09:30.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:The grain had two CSX C40-8W's. I saw them pull into the loop around 05:30 and the I&O crew took it north around 09:30.
The one I saw was northbound through CG around noon. Looked like it was a shorter, 60 car train though. The former DT&I was hoppin yesterday!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

That was the train that loaded at Uniopolis then.