Unknown railway

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unknown railway

Unread post by Toppysager »

South of Stanley yard the track continues for about 4 miles. I didn't even know there was even a line still there. The line seemed intact for the whole way until it just disappears into shrubbery about 1/4 north of Stoney Ridge, Oh. I saw a Canadian National start to descend on the line bit it did not go far. what is CSX's reason for having this track south of Stanley? I thought it was for storage purposes but I don't know, thanks!
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Unknown railway

Unread post by Y@ »

Most trains pull down to the south end of Stanley and shove into the yard. That's the reason this track is kept. Once upon a time, this was the T&OC that ran through Fostoria.
Bottom text.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:Most trains pull down to the south end of Stanley and shove into the yard. That's the reason this track is kept. Once upon a time, this was the T&OC that ran through Fostoria.
Was it owned by the same company as the CSX to Walbridge?
. I see they connected right before Fostoria backin the days

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

As I understand it, the Toledo and Ohio Central once had two routes to Columbus from Toledo. The line through Bowling Green was the one that was kept and the other was pulled-up. I think that occurred shortly after the creation of Conrail.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

The T&OC(or Eastern Branch) was owned by the NYC and the other poster was correct, it was abandoned a few years after Conrail's creation in 1976.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:Most trains pull down to the south end of Stanley and shove into the yard. That's the reason this track is kept. Once upon a time, this was the T&OC that ran through Fostoria.
Actually most trains come around the corner at the "which way" switch right into the yard, cut off the power and take it to the house. However the runner does continue down and gives access to the south end and trains do periodically run straight down the runner and shove in from the bottom when it's not convenient to do it the simpler way (i.e. because a humper has that route blocked or something like that).

For example, here's a Z247 coming into the yard after going 'round the corner at the which way:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=341268
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

MDH wrote:
Actually most trains come around the corner at the "which way" switch right into the yard, cut off the power and take it to the house. However the runner does continue down and gives access to the south end and trains do periodically run straight down the runner and shove in from the bottom when it's not convenient to do it the simpler way (i.e. because a humper has that route blocked or something like that).

For example, here's a Z247 coming into the yard after going 'round the corner at the which way:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=341268

That is an awesome picture! Did you take it? I like the BC rail power

JohnnyO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JohnnyO »

The Eastern Branch of the T&OC did not go to Columbus, it went via Bucyrus, the terminal, to Thurston, OH, east of Columbus in Fairfield County. As far as I know, much of the coal traffic once went this way. It was abandoned in stages starting with the New York Central prior to the PRR merger but Conrail dealt it a death blow. I believe the first abandonment was from somewhere around Edison, OH, to Bucyrus.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

CR 751 Stanley 12-95 by Brent Kneebush, on Flickr

Backing up into the yard in 95.

751 was actually an LMS unit in full Conrail Livery, pretty rare catch.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Also was to be part of the proposed but never built connection from the C&O so trains could enter off the C&O from the south.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

The "Eastern" was also the first CTC installation in the United States. The dispatcher was in a tower in Fostoria (still located on Jackson St.) and from what I remember, the CTC board is in the Smithsonian somewhere.
Not that obvious

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Toppysager wrote:That is an awesome picture! Did you take it? I like the BC rail power
Thanks! Yeah, "MDH" (here and on Trainorders) = Michael Harding on railpictures and Flickr - I haven't made any particular effort to disquise my identity online
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO