Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

My two-cents is that the proposed crossings slated to be closed will not happen.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

So educate us why you feel this way other than some random blanket statement just to make a statement.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Pioneer would be crazy not to take the money. Given the current customer "activity" east of Napoleon (and factor in car storage if you like) most of us would be pushing daises before earning the same amount of money on customer activity. I'm sure that the agreement between Pioneer is written that if a new customer were to materialize, service could be restored if need be (and while we're talking "pie-in the sky" - the right of way for the high speed passenger trains to the DT&I at LC would be preserved).
bluestreak81 wrote:My two-cents is that the proposed crossings slated to be closed will not happen.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

How's the condition, still crap.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Transfer station coming to Napoleon.

http://www.crescent-news.com/business/l ... 39a65.html

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That's a good question. I read they've put a lot of good money into the track and yet hear that derailments are frequent. That doesn't make sense. My hunch is that derailments are down. Keep in mind this railroad can get by just fine on 10mph track conditions. They don't need to go any faster.
Joshua Niederkohr wrote:How's the condition, still crap.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Track conditions are much better. Until they get some clean ballast under the ties for drainage derailments will continue.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

That and more heavy (heavier than 80 lb) rail. I'd guess it makes more sense to get the subgrade stabilized before going all in on say 115 lb rail though.
JoJames wrote:Track conditions are much better. Until they get some clean ballast under the ties for drainage derailments will continue.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

My understanding of the situation. The entire lines needs ballast. Once a good bed of ballast is down, then the new ties and rail can be raised and leveled. I'd say new rail would follow after that.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

OSRR wrote:My understanding of the situation. The entire lines needs ballast. Once a good bed of ballast is down, then the new ties and rail can be raised and leveled. I'd say new rail would follow after that.
This might sound a stupid question, but where did all the ballast go anyway? Sunk in the mud like the rest of the railroad?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some railroads in NW Ohio not use ballast or not very much ballast when originally built? The Cloverleaf, not far away from Napoleon, I believe I heard did not use much ballast when built either. Although I can't find any data to prove this theory.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Huge difference from the weight of railroad cars during the Cloverleaf era to today. Also part of the problem is nothing has been done for years with the drainage ditches along the railroad to remove the water from the property.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Good share of the Cloverleaf was built on cinders.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

JoJames wrote:Huge difference from the weight of railroad cars during the Cloverleaf era to today. Also part of the problem is nothing has been done for years with the drainage ditches along the railroad to remove the water from the property.
Have any of the drainage issues been addressed? Efforts to fix the issues with the grade are futile if you don't combat the water problem.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

From the March 16 2016 ORDC minutes:

Commissioner Greenlese reported on the topic discussed at the joint committee meeting. He explained the committee reviewed an ORDC proposed offer of $2.5 million to Pioneer Railcorp
to close the US 24/US 6 rail crossing, plus 6 other rail crossings to the east into Liberty Center. The exempt status of the US 24 crossing has led to significant collisions in the past and present an estimated $800,000 safety project at that crossing alone. The $2.5 million will be used to remove the rail at the 7 crossings, asphalt the roadways, and improve railroad operations in Defiance and Jewell, Ohio to make up for their 4.5 miles in lost capacity. Commissioner Greenlese announced the committee fully supports this direction of the ORDC and moves the Commissioners support the safety improvements. Commissioner Maphet seconded motion. Nathan Johns from the ND&W from the railroad announced the railroad realizes vacating the eastern portion of the line starting at the US 24/US 6 crossing is in the best interest of the railroad.
Roll Call was taken and the motion was approved as presented with 8 votes in the affirmative.

Also mentions that Pioneer is going to try to re-do a TIGER grant application? Any idea on what that project is?

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks I hope the TIGER grant is approved.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

3 CSX gons parked in Liberty Center yesterday when I passed through. Didn't have time to see if they had been unloaded yet or not, but at least there'll be one more trip east of the 6/24 bypass to get the cars.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Nice. Any chance for one last picture for the road?

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Seems more appropriate here than on the Illinois board. I was a stockholder and sold prior to the company going private.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/s ... ce=prhome1