Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Diamonds come and go on the MAW/ND&W... I'm still waiting on the interchange track to be built between the ND&W & I&O....

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

True, it's been talked about off and on since the Indiana Hi-Rail first took over. Not sure what current traffic would be the "driver" to ever get it done though.
Notch 8 wrote:Diamonds come and go on the MAW/ND&W... I'm still waiting on the interchange track to be built between the ND&W & I&O....

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Build a connection so the I&O could service Liberty Center and the diamond could be removed along with the crossing at US 24.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

G&W would be interested if the state or county buys that section and rebuilds/maintains it and they are off the hook for anything but servicing whatever traffic whenever they feel like it.....

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

JoJames wrote:Build a connection so the I&O could service Liberty Center and the diamond could be removed along with the crossing at US 24.
Diamond pulled a year ago...

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Is it an actual possibility to have an interchange with the I&O at LC? Has I&O sought interest?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Diamond has been put back in place in the last week. There was a locomotive and 4 gons in LC over the weekend.

Notch 8 wrote:
JoJames wrote:Build a connection so the I&O could service Liberty Center and the diamond could be removed along with the crossing at US 24.
Diamond pulled a year ago...

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Someone please post photos of any Liberty Center activity if possible.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

MSchwiebert wrote:Diamond has been put back in place in the last week. There was a locomotive and 4 gons in LC over the weekend.
Were they tie gondolas? I would guess the track needs some more work before any traffic resumes. Hearing the diamond is back in place makes me wonder if they turned the old DT&I/WAB signals back on, or if they just put a stop gate in place. In any case, glad to see some activity on that portion of the line, hopefully it pays off for Pioneer.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Interlocking is back on, and gons were for the customer as there was an excavator parked next to them to be used for loading or unloading. It didn't have a tie grapple on it - just a regular bucket.

heartlandguy wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Diamond has been put back in place in the last week. There was a locomotive and 4 gons in LC over the weekend.
Were they tie gondolas? I would guess the track needs some more work before any traffic resumes. Hearing the diamond is back in place makes me wonder if they turned the old DT&I/WAB signals back on, or if they just put a stop gate in place. In any case, glad to see some activity on that portion of the line, hopefully it pays off for Pioneer.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

MSchwiebert wrote:Interlocking is back on, and gons were for the customer as there was an excavator parked next to them to be used for loading or unloading. It didn't have a tie grapple on it - just a regular bucket.
Wow, great to hear. Thanks for the info!

G
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

MSchwiebert Any new cross bucks or lights installed at 109 since the first shipment of stone?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Not as of yesterday.
bluestreak81 wrote:MSchwiebert Any new cross bucks or lights installed at 109 since the first shipment of stone?

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Who pays to re-install the diamond ? There is not enough traffic in LC to justify such a cost UNLESS the taxpayers are on the Hook... However it's funny see how diamond come and go on this track, Now where they going to store cars ?

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Notch 8 wrote:Who pays to re-install the diamond ? There is not enough traffic in LC to justify such a cost UNLESS the taxpayers are on the Hook... However it's funny see how diamond come and go on this track, Now where they going to store cars ?
Good question Notch 8. I hope someone post pictures soon. Ken

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

I&O would pay for it as they removed it and it's there maintainance.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MSchwiebert wrote:Interlocking is back on, and gons were for the customer as there was an excavator parked next to them to be used for loading or unloading. It didn't have a tie grapple on it - just a regular bucket.
Is this actually a return of a customer served around 2006? See Google Earth image from 2/2006 showing the exact same thing you describe- gons and a yellow tractor, with blue truck/trailers transloading something.

CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

That's my thought as well. If I recall correctly that was used firebrick from the steel mill up in Delta.
TC Man wrote:
Is this actually a return of a customer served around 2006? See Google Earth image from 2/2006 showing the exact same thing you describe- gons and a yellow tractor, with blue truck/trailers transloading something.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Funny how some of these things work if it's really old firebrick out of the Delta. You would think they would just load the cars on the mill property and either move by NS or the I&O to CSX.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Gerald Grain's website boasts about its proximity of being located along a short line railroad and the line's connection to CSX at their Liberty Center location. This portion of their website was just updated a month ago. They must not be officially ruling out the possibility of rail options at Liberty Center altogether yet.

http://www.geraldgrain.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=3