Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The line is the oldest line across Northwest Ohio. As soon as the line from Montpelier to Fort Wayne was built supplanting the old Eel River line the line was downgraded.

It has been a secondary (or worse) line for basically 100 years now. To think that it is around at all is pretty amazing. It was never a high speed line by any stretch of the imagination.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

That's really incredible.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

To go a step farther what Magnum said about the legacy of the line, if you're into the nuts and bolts details of how the industry really works it's probably a decent case study to use. Plus it's a great study in the changes of manufacturing and the economy as technology changes and the typical ebbs and flow progress and time. It also covers the different types of ownership, Class 1, Class 1 neglect and then the adventures of short line operations. You might want to get a copy of Ernest Baird's Wabash book. I haven't read any reviews on it.

http://www.erstwhilepublications.com/

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

midland sub wrote:You might want to get a copy of VICTOR Baird's Wabash book.
Fixed that for you.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MagnumForce
Angry Man

I have Vic's book. It is alright but it covers the 4th District from Montpelier to the B&OCT, nothing at all about the 5th District which is the Toledo to Fort Wayne line.

I was just looking at some timetables and as early as 1964 there were no through freight trains on the line. The line was essentially a branch that happened to have 2 ends. Local service was from either end. I am not completely sure but I would think Passenger service was stopped by the late 40's.

The more you look at things, the more amazing it is there at all.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Along those lines, Eisenhower traveled on the line once during his time in office to open the Library at Defiance College. My understanding is that the train was interchanged from the B&O at Defiance, and I believe that Ike rode the train to Toledo where he caught a flight back to DC.
MagnumForce wrote:I have Vic's book. It is alright but it covers the 4th District from Montpelier to the B&OCT, nothing at all about the 5th District which is the Toledo to Fort Wayne line.

Little known fact but Abraham Lincoln traveled towards DC on this line when he snuck into Washington for his inauguration. There was no fanfare and no one even knew it as there was such a threat of assassination to him.

You may wonder why he would have went this way when traveling from Springfield to DC but don't forget that it was 1861 and there really was no direct route at that time.

I was just looking at some timetables and as early as 1964 there were no through freight trains on the line. The line was essentially a branch that happened to have 2 ends. Local service was from either end. I am not completely sure but I would think Passenger service was stopped by the late 40's.

The more you look at things, the more amazing it is there at all.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Oh wow. Can I ask what was traffic like before and after 1964 during Class 1 days before the Indiana Hi-Rail fiasco?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

No through freights, locals from Toledo and Fort Wayne since the late fifties.

Traffic levels probably were not much different than they are today, maybe more ag traffic but most definitely not the Campbell's traffic or Lafarge traffic.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

railohio

I have a 1970s timetable that showed a Defiance-based local, so I wouldn't say all the locals were Fort Wayne- or Toledo-based.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

When was Liberty to Maumee pulled?

EDIT: From what I found service was discontinued from Liberty to Maumee in 1969 but the rail wasn't pulled till 86.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MagnumForce wrote:When was Liberty to Maumee pulled?

EDIT: From what I found service was discontinued from Liberty to Maumee in 1969 but the rail wasn't pulled till 86.
What is on the West End? Does that tie in with NS somewhere?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MagnumForce
Angry Man

NS kept the fifth district up to the Tire plant and the interchange with the shortline west of Woodburn.

L91 serves this line 5-6 days a week out of East Wayne yard in New Haven.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for all the info!

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

MagnumForce wrote:NS kept the fifth district up to the Tire plant and the interchange with the shortline west of Woodburn.

L91 serves this line 5-6 days a week out of East Wayne yard in New Haven.
How many cars a week is NS interchanging with the ND&W ? The Elevator in Antwerp cease rail shipments ? On the bright side the derailments are not as frequent as they used to be. Have they ever used limestone from the Hanson Paulding Plant as ballast on this line ? Did Cecil have an interlocker ?

DT&Ifan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DT&Ifan »

MSchwiebert wrote:Along those lines, Eisenhower traveled on the line once during his time in office to open the Library at Defiance College. My understanding is that the train was interchanged from the B&O at Defiance, and I believe that Ike rode the train to Toledo where he caught a flight back to DC.
You made my curiosity itch so I looked around the forums and found this,

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12832

I toured that car at the long defunct Stagecoach Stop USA in the late 1990's and again around 2001. When I went looking for information on it this morning I found conflicting information, the car discussed above in Michigan and another car in Florida both claim to be President Eisenhower's Presidential Rail car. It is a shame the one discussed above has been allowed to just sit out in the weather with no maintenance done on it.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

I lived in Napoleon from 1964-1969, our house was either the second or third one in 1964 on Westmont Ave. From my second story window I could see the Wabash. My recollection is that at that time there were 3-4 trains a day. I can still remember Wabash blue and white F units. I don't recall the amount of cars being that long maybe 40-60 cars. By Bales Road and Glenview (?) there was spur where they dropped coal cars on a trestle so the city municipal power plant truck could get coal, I used to watch them move cars up that. One thing I do remember was there was usually an death or two on the Wabash Bales Creek trestle with kids getting caught crossing the trestle when a train came. The only thing I remember about the DT&I was the overpass (still there) over I believe 224 and the trestle over the river. When my dad went to the State liquor or beer store we used Route 6 and as we crossed the railroad tracks there seemed to be a yard and I can remember how I thought the color of the DT&I cars were really cool and I loved the compass logo. Napoleon at that time was the tomato capital of the world and most farmers grew tomatoes and there was a large number of migrant workers most living on the south side of town. My dad worked at plant controller at the Clevite Harris facility which I now believe is the TRW plant.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Thanks for sharing this, I never knew that the Wabash had the power plant coal business at one time too. I've got documents from the DT&I side of things, by the early to mid 1970's they had the coal business for the power plant, unloading it by the 424 overpass. The coal for the power plant was always in L&N or C&O hoppers, while the coal for Campbell's was in PC (or predecessor roads) cars.
jrgerber wrote:I lived in Napoleon from 1964-1969, our house was either the second or third one in 1964 on Westmont Ave. From my second story window I could see the Wabash. My recollection is that at that time there were 3-4 trains a day. I can still remember Wabash blue and white F units. I don't recall the amount of cars being that long maybe 40-60 cars. By Bales Road and Glenview (?) there was spur where they dropped coal cars on a trestle so the city municipal power plant truck could get coal, I used to watch them move cars up that. One thing I do remember was there was usually an death or two on the Wabash Bales Creek trestle with kids getting caught crossing the trestle when a train came. The only thing I remember about the DT&I was the overpass (still there) over I believe 224 and the trestle over the river. When my dad went to the State liquor or beer store we used Route 6 and as we crossed the railroad tracks there seemed to be a yard and I can remember how I thought the color of the DT&I cars were really cool and I loved the compass logo. Napoleon at that time was the tomato capital of the world and most farmers grew tomatoes and there was a large number of migrant workers most living on the south side of town. My dad worked at plant controller at the Clevite Harris facility which I now believe is the TRW plant.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

The Wabash siding was elevated rather steeply and there was a trestle with an opening. It used to right across from the now closed bowling alley at the corner of Glenview and Bales Road. Where it used to be is now a grassy strip. I can recall slowly but surely by the 1968-1969 the blue and white Wabash units had given way to the N&W black and whites for locomotive power. There are still no trespassing signs with the N&W logo on them.

railohio

Wonder if they asked to use B-rent's photo...