McCord road under pass- sylvania Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

McCord road under pass- sylvania Ohio

Unread post by Ypsi »

My uncle just told me that the underpass that was approved for construction starting in 2016 has been bumped up to start construction as early as next year. He said that there has been around 4 or 5 high school students killed because they crossed infont of trains and were struck. The price he gave was in the billions :shock: hopefully this would help prevent kids from running in front of trains, and save lives. Approximate number of trains per day is between 40 to 70 I believe.

On a side not the crossing west of McCord road went silent last year, with new pylons in the road. I am going to check out ODOT to see if I can find the exact info.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi

Re: McCord road under pass- sylvania Ohio

Unread post by Ypsi »

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, OH (Toledo news Now) - The Ohio Department of Transportation has announced that funding for construction of the McCord Road underpass has been moved forward from the previous 2023 construction date to 2014.

Through exploring all possible funding options, ODOT determined that the remaining financing for the high priority project could be secured for construction. The project approval was made final Thursday at the working session of the Transportation Advisory Review Council held in Columbus.

"Today TRAC recognized the efforts of all involved in this project," said District Two Deputy Director Todd Audet. "The project is priority number one in northwest Ohio, so much so, after support by all involved, it's moving forward."

Various state and federal agencies, including the Lucas County engineer's office, the village of Holland, the Springfield Township trustees, Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments, the Federal Highway Administration, TRAC and ODOT have partnered to advance the funding of the project.

"It's a great day for all who've fought so hard to accelerate the schedule. We appreciate the support of the local community in getting this major safety improvement closer to construction," said Lucas County Engineer Keith Early.

"TMACOG has long partnered with area stakeholders to help move this project forward. Today's announcement demonstrates how regional collaboration can benefit the people in the communities we serve," said Warren Henry, vice president of TMACOG's transportation.

On average, 75 trains cross McCord Road daily. The project was part of ODOT's Railroad Grade Separation program, intended to reduce congestion caused by train traffic and improve safety.

McCord Road underpass timeline:

Right of Way Acquisition - Now through summer 2013
Final Plans Submitted to ODOT – February 2013
Estimated Construction Start – summer 2014
Estimated Construction Cost: $17 million
Read more on the project:

ODOT moves up McCord Road underpass project
Fate of McCord Road underpass project unclear
County Engineer aims to restore McCord Road underpass
McCord Road underpass project may receive new state funding
From ODOT and Toledo news now, just a few minor differences from what my uncle told me... Other then price, $17 million is not a lot but it is not exactly close to billions :lol: and also the project is slated to actually start construction in 2014

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I was always surprised that the overpass in Swanton got done before this. Granted overpasses are cheaper and quicker than underpasses, but the visibility that the McCord road crossing got after the tragedy a few years back where a Springfield HS student got killed and another was injured after getting hit by a westbound Amtrak train should have moved things up a bit (to say nothing about how much more vehicle traffic McCord sees than the road on the east edge of Swanton).

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

It's Holland and/or Springfield Township; Sylvania is further north.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

One issue I see with the area is the business driveways directly adjacent to the crossing. in order to do the underpass, the y may also need to relocate/ add a service drive.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

They get hit because they turn out of the highschool there and drive fast like most teens.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

DT&I wrote:They get hit because they turn out of the highschool there and drive fast like most teens.
most of the accidents I have heard of were kids walking across the tracks, not driving... but im sure they have that happen too

becauseisaidso15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by becauseisaidso15 »

I hate this idea. The village of Holland spending $17 mil because kids are too stupid to wait for the gates to go up/ wanting to beat the train. They should just teach the kids in school that, or there PARENTS. This should be common sense, and this money will com form tax dollars because people are STUPID :x

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

They are spending 17 million because it is a ridiculously busy road that has traffic backed up on it 80 times a day.

As for the rest of your statement, teenagers are stupid, their brains are not yet developed and they are prone to making stupid decisions no matter what they are taught and sometimes in spite of it.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

MagnumForce wrote:They are spending 17 million because it is a ridiculously busy road that has traffic backed up on it 80 times a day.

As for the rest of your statement, teenagers are stupid, their brains are not yet developed and they are prone to making stupid decisions no matter what they are taught and sometimes in spite of it.

+1
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

This underpass will do little to none to prevent kids from being hit. The issue seems to be kids crossing at any location. Other than the actual crossing. If kids don't walk to the existing crossing. What makes anyone think they will walk to the underpass. The last accident involved kids that were running late and were rushing. Tried to beat the Amtrak, but unfortunately they weren't able to. The only thing this underpass will do is free up the flow of traffic.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The underpass is the road there is no other place to cross, the school is fenced in, all the accidents have been at the grade crossing.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

MagnumForce wrote:The underpass is the road there is no other place to cross, the school is fenced in, all the accidents have been at the grade crossing.
Right. The kids are walking on the sidewalk currently, so if that sidewalk takes them under the tracks rather than crossing at grade - problem solved. The ROW is mostly fenced there to try to channel kids onto the sidewalk (which largely works) and once the underpass is in I bet they have a continuous fence on both sides of the tracks through the area to discourage illegal crossing. Any remaining idiots who try to breach that and then get hurt I have no remaining sympathy for.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Was by today, and the Chicago line now has a kink in it. The shoo fly track is in and actually pretty impressive. Itseems to be good for a decent speed (as supposed to an obvious slow shoo fly), in addition the crossing and temporary McCord road is in place too. All of the construction makes a very confusing drive with one ways and entrances eliminated, but should help with congestion and safety on McCord road.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Yea, try living around here and negotiating a simple trip to Walmart or Kroger. Now, they also have Angola Rd closed for 3 months at US23. Really sucks getting around the area.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

StupidFlee​t wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:They are spending 17 million because it is a ridiculously busy road that has traffic backed up on it 80 times a day.

+1
Politicians always want to grab some headlines when tragedy strikes. ( EVEL Railroads KILLS local kids ! ON THEIR WAY TO CHURCH AND DELIVER FOOD TO THE HOMELESS blah blah blah. ) They throw big numbers around $$$$$ without checking to make sure their info is correct and if their wrong "it's OK their politicians" seems to smooth things over ( until the next disaster that distracts us sheep :D ) No matter what you spend or do to keep people away they will always find or make a way. Build a over or under pass, they will tear a hole in the fence and cross the tracks anyways. Complaining that they now have to walk up or down hill and It's just too hard! It's good that they addressing the issue of separating railroad and people. Let's hope this project ends the loss of like.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

To be honest, this overpass probably is worth it in the long run. My uncle has told me numerous times that he has been stopped for long periods of time on the way to work here. Yes it is a mess right now but you do what you have to.
As far as the kids are concerned, having a not at grade crossing here is enough of a deterrent to keep accidents down (hopefully). It's just one less point where under regular circumstances the kids don't have to enter the gauge to cross. That being said there is still holland road (?) just to the west.
Lastly, politics not withstanding, sometimes I wonder why people drag the cost into it. It's not like the politicians just go out and whimsically spend money (and yes I know I'm opening myself up for attack with that ^^^ comment). I'm sure the surrounding and affected areas voted on and approved this...
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I do agree that it is the right choice. The crossing is very busy, and is only going to get busier. It is a pain to negotiate right now. But, when it is done and over, it will be a greatly needed way to get from one side to the other. Hoping they do keep the new crossing in place, but doubt they will. Would be a nice back way into Spring Meadows. But, highly doubt they will keep it. The shoo fly is ver nice also, don't seem to notice any slowing of trains passing through the area.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

AC60CW wrote:The shoo fly is ver nice also, don't seem to notice any slowing of trains passing through the area.
50 MPH restriction affect vans and amtrak