Carey, OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Carey, OH

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

When did the diamond allowing the Wheeling and Lake Erie to cross the C&O get torn out?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Carey, OH

Unread post by redside20 »

TrainWatcher wrote:When did the diamond allowing the Wheeling and Lake Erie to cross the C&O get torn out?

The diamond was tore out in the mid 80's, so the Wheeling never crossed the diamond.
Exit stage left

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Thanks Lukas. Who operated it before WLE?

redside20

TrainWatcher wrote:Thanks Lukas. Who operated it before WLE?
It was original "main" line of the Akron Canton and Youngstown which ran from Delphos to Akron..After being bought out in 1964 by Norfolk and Western, who then operated it until 1982 when the new operator embargoed and eventually abandoned the line west of Carey. Norfolk Southern did not need the trackage because there was no online business west of Carey, and the NS already connected with major roads at Lima which made the west end redundant..
Exit stage left

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Good post Lukas. The Cloverleaf route was chosen in favor over the AC&Y to Delphos. It didn't make sense for N&W to own both routes, and the line was removed west of Carey like Lukas said, in 1982. The tower at Columbus Grove came down shortly after.
Brett

redside20

bdconrail29 wrote:Good post Lukas. The Cloverleaf route was chosen in favor over the AC&Y to Delphos. It didn't make sense for N&W to own both routes, and the line was removed west of Carey like Lukas said, in 1982. The tower at Columbus Grove came down shortly after.

Oops, how can I forget about the Cloverleaf, thanks Brett...The Cloverleaf then met it's demise about the same time the ACY west end was abandoned..
Exit stage left

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:Good post Lukas. The Cloverleaf route was chosen in favor over the AC&Y to Delphos. It didn't make sense for N&W to own both routes, and the line was removed west of Carey like Lukas said, in 1982. The tower at Columbus Grove came down shortly after.

Oops, how can I forget about the Cloverleaf, thanks Brett...The Cloverleaf then met it's demise about the same time the ACY west end was abandoned..

Exactly! Why have the Cloverleaf when you now have to Wabash? :wink:
Brett

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I have never really checked out the old AC&Y and it now looks like I have a reason to.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I 'think' the Cloverleaf (at least from Continental on to Toledo) was stricken from the N&W before the AC&Y was. The Blue Bird senic train was operating out of Grand Rapids by the late 1970's (I remember riding the train - behind the steamer as part of a school field trip in grade school), and the derailment that took out the bridge over the Little Auglaize River near DuPont occurred about that time too. In most respects the west end of the AC&Y should have never been built in the first place, it lasted far longer than it should have.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

No, you're right. The Wabash route I'm sure was far more influential. I thought it lasted into the 80's from Continental to Delphos?
Brett

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bdconrail29 wrote:No, you're right. The Wabash route I'm sure was far more influential. I thought it lasted into the 80's from Continental to Delphos?
I've seen Dave Oroszi shots of an early NS local he chased from Ohio City to Delphos and shots of the local in the derelict yard. I think it was around '83 or so.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Cloverleaf_Division_1

1975 is pretty accurate for the Delphos (Douglas) to Waterville portion.
cbehr91 wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:No, you're right. The Wabash route I'm sure was far more influential. I thought it lasted into the 80's from Continental to Delphos?
I've seen Dave Oroszi shots of an early NS local he chased from Ohio City to Delphos and shots of the local in the derelict yard. I think it was around '83 or so.

redside20

The rails west of Carey were pulled up in 1984 after seeing it's last train two years prior in 1982..It was that redundant
http://www.abandonedrails.com/Delphos_to_Carey
Exit stage left

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

MSchwiebert wrote:http://www.abandonedrails.com/Cloverleaf_Division_1

1975 is pretty accurate for the Delphos (Douglas) to Waterville portion.
cbehr91 wrote:
You know what I was thinking of?? The LE&W from Sandusky to Fremont. I always get those N&W lines over there confused. Yes yes yes, the Cloverleaf was the mid-70's one. Duh.
Brett

JohnnyO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JohnnyO »

MSchwiebert wrote:I 'think' the Cloverleaf (at least from Continental on to Toledo) was stricken from the N&W before the AC&Y was. The Blue Bird senic train was operating out of Grand Rapids by the late 1970's (I remember riding the train - behind the steamer as part of a school field trip in grade school), and the derailment that took out the bridge over the Little Auglaize River near DuPont occurred about that time too. In most respects the west end of the AC&Y should have never been built in the first place, it lasted far longer than it should have.
The bridge at Dupont, OH, was damaged in September, 1968. That ended the Cloverleaf as a through route to Toledo. The bridge stood for several years after that, there was structural damage. I walked through that bridge, actually, 40 years ago today, July 4, 1972.

I believe it was a load of auto frames that struck the bridge. The N&W had placed derails on both sides of the bridge after it was taken out of service. There were rumors that a hot car for Toledo had once been kicked through the bridge from a crew on one side to a crew waiting on the other side but I've no verification of that railroad urban legend.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the background on the DuPont bridge! I didn't realize that there was that much time between the derailment and the abandonment of the portion from Continental on into Toledo. Once the line was severed, how was the Continental - Toledo portion served? I'd guess that there was a local that ran out of Toledo and back?
JohnnyO wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:I 'think' the Cloverleaf (at least from Continental on to Toledo) was stricken from the N&W before the AC&Y was. The Blue Bird senic train was operating out of Grand Rapids by the late 1970's (I remember riding the train - behind the steamer as part of a school field trip in grade school), and the derailment that took out the bridge over the Little Auglaize River near DuPont occurred about that time too. In most respects the west end of the AC&Y should have never been built in the first place, it lasted far longer than it should have.
The bridge at Dupont, OH, was damaged in September, 1968. That ended the Cloverleaf as a through route to Toledo. The bridge stood for several years after that, there was structural damage. I walked through that bridge, actually, 40 years ago today, July 4, 1972.

I believe it was a load of auto frames that struck the bridge. The N&W had placed derails on both sides of the bridge after it was taken out of service. There were rumors that a hot car for Toledo had once been kicked through the bridge from a crew on one side to a crew waiting on the other side but I've no verification of that railroad urban legend.

JohnnyO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JohnnyO »

By 1972 and I believe earlier, perhaps as early as 1969, based on what others told me, the diamond at Continental had been removed. There were connections that tied into both sides off of the Fostoria District. There was a local based at Continental, throughout the early to mid-1970's, there was always a engine and caboose on the remaining main track stub north of the former diamond. What I don't know is how this local operated, whether they went to Toledo and back or worked as needed or what.

For a long time, there were auto racks stored as far as the eye could see south of Continental, I think they stretched nearly to Dupont. There was a local that ran from Frankfort to Delphos one day and returned the next.

I believe the railroad mileage from Continental to Dupont is around three miles. The auto racks were all removed sometime in the summer of 1973, as best as I remember. That's not to say that it couldn't have been 1974.

I didn't have a camera with me the day I walked the bridge. Yeah, there's a small regret.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

And there answered my other question in regards to the old ROW grade near Bluffton, that's part of the old AC&Y. Thanks for all the info guys

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

TrainWatcher wrote:And there answered my other question in regards to the old ROW grade near Bluffton, that's part of the old AC&Y. Thanks for all the info guys
These help with that immensely:

http://www.karensbooks.com/store/produc ... uctID=7266
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Spring of 1972 diamonds were removed at Holgate where the cloverleaf crossed the B&O. Something else that is very strange the NS still owns some of the right away in Henry county that has been farmed over for years.