The Deshler Caboose

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

The Deshler Caboose

Unread post by MDH »

So after all the big drama over "we're gonna sell it" followed by the town rejecting the winning bid in favor of having it "rescued", moved and restored locally - when is anything actually going to happen? I was just through there recently and it still sits forlornly rotting away where it long has been. It's been more than half a year now since all the uproar but is it back to "same old, same old" of neglecting the caboose or are they actually going to do something with it?

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: The Deshler Caboose

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

When did Deshler have/get a caboose and where is it?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The one they have now, they got in 1987 or so. It's located in the town park on the east side of town where the pool & tennis courts are. They also have the stuffed and mounted Air Force fighter (its a F84 or F86) there too. This caboose is the third one that was given to the community. The first was a B&O wood caboose, for years it was parked on a disconnected spur up on the north end of town by the town water works. Time took its toll and it was deemed too far gone to do anything with. Around 1986 or so, CSX donated a Chessie painted B&O style wagon top bay window caboose, but before the display site could be made ready (the caboose was parked on one of the Toledo sub yard tracks) some kids (having gone to the same school - i wouldn't have put it past the rumored participants) set a fire on the inside and ruined it. The current caboose arrived in Deshler, with B&O paint on one side and a CSX scheme (first gen - just blue and gray) on the other. The CSX side was quickly repainted to the proper B&O livery.
TrainWatcher wrote:When did Deshler have/get a caboose and where is it?

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Wow, I didn't know they had such a long history of "good stewardship" of donated cabooses! :twisted: :lol: :roll:
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Restoring a caboose is not for the faint of heart or the weary. We are on year two of a project to restore a wooden B&O Caboose in Wash CH. Lucky for us the city was kind enough to help with the project with funding and more importantly trusting us to tackle the project. We're just a little over halfway done with it, but wow did it ever take some serious work to get this far. A steel caboose has to be easier...... Next up for us is tackling the caboose's roommate..... C&O K4 #2776.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

The wood caboose was gone before I was out of grade school - not sure what the full story behind it was, the wagon top was teenaged vandalism (the railroad should have never parked it in a secluded spot like that - it was too inviting of a target) as for the current one, I believe the Lions Club was originally involved in getting it and placing it where it is. I'm relatively neutral on what should be done with it. If it came down to the town getting the depot or the tower - I'd let the caboose go, but i don't live there and it is the town's decision to make.
MDH wrote:Wow, I didn't know they had such a long history of "good stewardship" of donated cabooses! :twisted: :lol: :roll:

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

The town is to busy with downtown revitalazation project on main street of new curbs and landscaping for all the boarded up buildings.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Hopefully they get the bar going again soon...
Bottom text.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Y@ wrote:Hopefully they get the bar going again soon...

Last I heard the Bar was done.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Bar had its last call the night before fire.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Can't imagine a Bar is not a money making proposition.

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

The Deshler bar is gone?!?! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Beal99 wrote:The Deshler bar is gone?!?! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Yes, it had a fire last year. The building is nothing but a shell. Word is The Corn City Bar is to never reopen. The local pizza shop in the red building next to the 10K convenience store has a small bar. When I was inside to pick up a pizza there was nobody eating at any of the booths (granted there aren't that many) and probably 7 or so at the bar. And when I said I was there to pick up a pizza both the bar patrons and the employees seemed surprised.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Word is the bar will be torn down this summer.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

I list the Deshler caboose as steel, bay window, B&O C3784 to B&O 903784, Class C-26, City Park, N. Oak St.

Roger
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

I am hoping before the Corn City bar is demolished someone makes an effort to preserve the sign out front. I'm not from Deshler, but I would think it would be a part of the town and its history. I think it's a neat old sign. Would be a shame not to keep it.

telus6429
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by telus6429 »

anyone know how much damage was done to the bar from the fire... Is it salvageable or not...
Telus6429
Ian
Windsor, Ontario
http://www.trainweb.org/swontariotrain/

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Not salvageable.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

That's awful.

Meanwhile Leipsic continues to attract business while Henry County dies.

Odd they are installing new sidewalks in front of the bar when they will most likely be damaged during the demolition.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

If the county seat wasn't in Napoleon - things may be a bit different for the southern end of the county. Rumor has it though that something is going in the old Sherwin Williams plant in Deshler - related to activites in North Baltimore - time will tell though. Wonder who holds the liquor license for the Corn City - One would think (if they're interested) they could re-open elsewhere in town, if they can find a location that's worth sticking money into.
MagnumForce wrote:That's awful.

Meanwhile Leipsic continues to attract business while Henry County dies.

Odd they are installing new sidewalks in front of the bar when they will most likely be damaged during the demolition.