Ohio rail business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Ohio rail business news

Unread post by redside20 »

more news from the Toledo rail scene...
http://www.toledoblade.com/business/201 ... house.html

rail service mentioned
Exit stage left

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 937TrainFan »

Another feasibility study is underway in bringing the old Delphi Spur back into the Dayton International Airport. Still have no idea what they want to do if they get it there, but the city keeps spending the money to do studies on it.

redside20

937TrainFan wrote:Another feasibility study is underway in bringing the old Delphi Spur back into the Dayton International Airport. Still have no idea what they want to do if they get it there, but the city keeps spending the money to do studies on it.
There was an article in the Dayton paper about that expansion awhile back...our tax dollars at work.. :roll:
Exit stage left

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah, this is the 3rd study in the last 4 years.

redside20

Cargill is planning to expand a railyard for its Circleville grain elevator...This will probably end the tricky switch maneuvering through Circleville when NS switches the plant.
http://www.circlevilletoday.com/news/ca ... c0979.html

Mark does NS still serve the Georgia Pacific and PPG plants on Circlevilles far south end?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Yes they do. L55 switches both on their way back to Portsmouth. No idea the volume though. They also still switch Circleville Ag on the old PRR. Inbound potash and liquid feet.

Thank God Cargill is doing this. I was wondering why the old Stone property was getting cleaned up. It's a pain in the ass for Cargill, NS and everyone in round town when they are loading a unit train. Cargill was full yesterday and not taking grain.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

anyone have info on the increase in traffic through Medina?....from 2 a day to over 8?...
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

redside20

Gov. Crappo wrote:anyone have info on the increase in traffic through Medina?....from 2 a day to over 8?...

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the surge in fracking sand and oil from the Minerva/Carrollton/Bowerston region could be the reason for the spike in traffic...However this is the first time I'm hearing about this WLE traffic surge. WLE has been very dependent on chemicals, steel, plastic granules, and aggregates over the years, but are there new traffic sources springing up in the Medina, and Akron Canton areas? Oh yes one thing I can think of is that Republic Steel hired a lot of people last year and maybe there could be an uptick in traffic from there along with the Marathon Refinery nearby..
Last edited by redside20 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exit stage left

redside20

I was just reading some ctc reports on NS and a company called RSL Railroad LLC filed a notice of exemption with the STB to lease and operate 1.4 mile stretch of NS trackage called the South Massillon Industrial Track. I have no idea who RSL is and don't know where this is stretch of trackage is either. Says the companys interchange point with NS is at MP MT 0.0
Exit stage left

redside20

Former P&LE Gateway Yard is coming back to life thanks to a company called Green Harvest Rail. This company purchased the property a year or so ago and plans include a proposed Oil Storage facility and rail loading terminal.
Exit stage left

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Former Delphi spur by Dayton International is getting more hype. A full article was in the Dayton Daily on the local front page and local radio has covered it. It seems the big push is to get the spur to reach the new Union, OH land that has been developed for a massive distribution facility.

The land was former Butler Township land, that was bought by the city of Union a few years ago. The city has quietly stepped up it's presence in the Dayton business community, becoming the first city in the area to "de-landlock" itself by buying property over the Stillwater River, in previously thought Vandalia controlled area. Word has it that the mayor of Union has had connections with a large partner in the distribution world, and it is no secret that Western Ohio cities have sought to capitalize on the distribution boom.

What was once thought of as a brash and redundant idea to renew the rail spur, is now turning in to something massive for the area. Recently announced, an unnamed company has bought 1000 acres of Union and Butler Township property, and plans to build a $90 million dollar distribution facility, similar to one in Indianapolis. The center would supposedly create 1000 jobs, and attract more business to the area.

What's surprising is the willingness of the City of Dayton to go through with the building of the rail spur, as it looks like it will cost them somewhere in the $20 million range in total work to reconstruct the spur. Their justification is that it will make the airport more attractive for distribution company's, but the evidence is not exactly there. DHL successfully destroyed the niche jet freight market, and UPS and FedEx already have established jet centers in the region.

The big winner here is definitely the city of Union, as it seems they will collect tax money from the site and the employees, whilst paying minimal fees for rail and road service. If the tracks indeed are laid on city of Union limits, it will be the first rails in the city since the CH&D in 1922.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

I am familiar with this project and will keep the company private until a more public announcement is made..location makes sense and is a good move. I'm a bit unsure that the job creation number is correct, unless they are factoring EVERY possible job that COULD develop...just be aware that prognosticators can sometimes get a little excited.

CG Tower

937TrainFan wrote:Former Delphi spur by Dayton International is getting more hype. A full article was in the Dayton Daily on the local front page and local radio has covered it. It seems the big push is to get the spur to reach the new Union, OH land that has been developed for a massive distribution facility.

The land was former Butler Township land, that was bought by the city of Union a few years ago. The city has quietly stepped up it's presence in the Dayton business community, becoming the first city in the area to "de-landlock" itself by buying property over the Stillwater River, in previously thought Vandalia controlled area. Word has it that the mayor of Union has had connections with a large partner in the distribution world, and it is no secret that Western Ohio cities have sought to capitalize on the distribution boom.

What was once thought of as a brash and redundant idea to renew the rail spur, is now turning in to something massive for the area. Recently announced, an unnamed company has bought 1000 acres of Union and Butler Township property, and plans to build a $90 million dollar distribution facility, similar to one in Indianapolis. The center would supposedly create 1000 jobs, and attract more business to the area.

What's surprising is the willingness of the City of Dayton to go through with the building of the rail spur, as it looks like it will cost them somewhere in the $20 million range in total work to reconstruct the spur. Their justification is that it will make the airport more attractive for distribution company's, but the evidence is not exactly there. DHL successfully destroyed the niche jet freight market, and UPS and FedEx already have established jet centers in the region.

The big winner here is definitely the city of Union, as it seems they will collect tax money from the site and the employees, whilst paying minimal fees for rail and road service. If the tracks indeed are laid on city of Union limits, it will be the first rails in the city since the CH&D in 1922.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

CG Tower wrote:I am familiar with this project and will keep the company private until a more public announcement is made..location makes sense and is a good move. I'm a bit unsure that the job creation number is correct, unless they are factoring EVERY possible job that COULD develop...just be aware that prognosticators can sometimes get a little excited.
This story from mid-August suggested Procter & Gamble. Prologis Logistics Services would build the 1.8 million sq. ft. building.

http://www.wdtn.com/news/local/major-di ... -discussed

DPJ
Last edited by bn13814 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

bn13814 wrote: This story from mid-August suggested Procter & Gamble. Prologis Logistics Services would build the 1.8 million sq. ft. building.

http://www.wdtn.com/news/local/major-di ... -discussed

DPJ
Perhaps as part of a strategy to expand and/or update its logistics operations, Procter & Gamble is building a $93 million, 1.7-million sq. ft. distribution center at Shippensburg, PA.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2013-07 ... tland-road

They plan to use nearby intermodal facilities, though. A Union warehouse could use CSXT or NS facilities at Columbus or Cincinnati, though a growing base of large regional distribution centers might give CSXT a reason to establish one on the rebuilt Vandalia Spur.
Last edited by bn13814 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Ok, that would line up with what we've heard then. In the world of Economic Development, we tend to keep tight lipped about projects...that will loose a project very quickly...

This all lines up with P&G's larger view, the distribution facility here in Lima is beyond capacity...the plant in in full production and will likely be seeing additional changes to support growth.

The business of making sure we stay clean has never been better...

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

More word on the Vandalia spur. SB Specialty Metals has recently moved in to the old Emery Air Freight building and has established what they call their "master distribution center". They have stated that they wish to tap in to the new spur when it is built. The city courted SB Metals quite hard, and it is no doubt that a rail spur was part of the decision to move into the old air freight building.

redside20

Lots going on up on the Toledo waterfront with the Port of Toledo building more space for there terminal...Starting here at the Ironville Docks for their warehouse...Adding 15000 feet of linear track
http://www.toledoblade.com/Economy/2013 ... r-way.html
Exit stage left

redside20

More on the ex GM plant property in Moraine...rail access mentioned again..
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/bus ... p-t/nbfH7/
Who knows where this will go.
Exit stage left

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

redside20 wrote:More on the ex GM plant property in Moraine...rail access mentioned again..
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/bus ... p-t/nbfH7/
Who knows where this will go.
Good news for Moraine and the Dayton area!

This excerpt makes me think "Project Southbound" is an automotive parts manufacturer. The description, "advanced materials and manufacturing," fits. This is probably best interpreted as light alloy metals, which could be something like magnesium, which is imported from China for making wheels.

Roughly three million items per year would be produced at the site, with daily logistics and distribution activities. “Product material will be delivered from ports and shipped throughout the United States,” the application said.

Also, the article says Moraine was competing with Michigan (what else does that state have but automotive-related business? :mrgreen: )

I hope more details, including the company behind the project, are announced soon. Norfolk Southern should be getting a major rail user.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Sunrise Farmers Co-Op and Lucky Farmers Co-Op have announced a joint venture to build a grain and fertilizer facility near Bradner on CSX Pemberville sub. Facility will load unit trains of grain and receive unit trains of fertilizer.