Ohio rail business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ohio rail business news

Unread post by arty flowers »

Looks like CSX will serve a glass plant that is now in the process of being construction on Walbridges far south side going towards Luckey and Pemberville on the Columbus Sub.

https://www.toledoblade.com/business/de ... 0190417132

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

http://indianaeasternrailroad.com/2018/ ... sio-foods/

Guess this was last year. I hadn't been through Jackson in atleast 2 years. Went through tonight wondering through town a bit and happened to notice the crossing was put back in and the track had been cleaned up along with dumped ballast. So I dug around a little bit and found this.

Also noticed the Rt93 crossing south of town was back "in service" (no exempt signs) and the track looked decent (and brush was gone). Anyone know anything about that?

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

This is being proposed on the opposite side of the Ohio River across from Gallipolis in Point Pleasant West Virginia. If it comes to fruition, the CSX line that runs through here could be seeing outbound shipments.

https://www.mydailyregister.com/top-sto ... son-county

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

A Brenntag chemical distribution depot will be coming to Toledo and NS will serve it. It will located there on the north side of the tracks just to the east of the interchange of Airline Junction. And Amware in Brook Park will be revamping the spur that goes to the CSX iNDY sUB so that CSX will serve the facility.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unit trains of corn off the CP are being handed over to the CFE in Chicago and brought to the IORY in Lima for the ethanol plant. Also unit sand trains are also finding their way to liMA and they are being handed over to the WLE

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I wonder if this replaced the sand that was coming from Yuma MI. After being closed for several years the Yuma plant reopened, shipped a bunch of frac sand for several months, then stopped shipping by rail suddenly.
arty flowers wrote:Also unit sand trains are also finding their way to liMA and they are being handed over to the WLE
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Avon Lake ford plant getting a new makeover as well

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/05/for ... ntal-dead/

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

The Church and Dwight has been a good customer for NS for years on the Fostoria District. The plant is going through another expansion

https://senecasuccess.wordpress.com/202 ... AfOc81BqCE

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Its the attack of the stone and ballast trains. Right now stone traffic shipped by rail is rising to meteoric rates in Ohio. It started with the Wheeling and Lake Erie in Carey, NS and CSX in northwest ohio, and now the Cincinnati area near the Indiana border along with a quarry in Melvin are experiencing boom times. Looks for a mess of stone trains to invade the Springfield Ohio by the IORY. The genesis of this traffic is a construction company near the Indiana border completed and asphalt plant is the reason for this growth.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Mercer Landmark bought the Moorman Grain Elevator in Latty not to long ago and the word from a source is that NS will start operating 85 car unit trains out of the elevator. This is on the NS Fostoria District.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Did you know arty flowers that CSX has started transloading autos at the old intermodal yard on the east side of Marion Ohio that used to be where the KCS intermodal trains originated and terminated i spent three nights in Marion Ohio over the Labor Day Weekend with a side trip to Harding Yard in Mansfield Oh, I counted i think 30 racks there or around that much on the east side of town i left the motel early Monday morning and went to the station to find a loaded auto rack train getting his air test to depart out of the old EL yard with unit number 3173 the only locomotive and 85 loaded auto racks i remember Joe Slanser telling me over 25 years ago that there is a grade for eastbounds and oh yea he did some struggling to depart and on top of this a severe thunderstorm approaching in the distance very nice. The local railfans told me about the transload so im going off there info.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railfan_Modeler »

There is definitely not as much traffic as there used to be at Marion Industrial Center. I think Schneider backed out so no more Schneider intermodal trains. Bucyrus Railcar repair now occupies a good portion of the facility as their second location besides bucyrus I believe. There are a few trains that switch out the former EL yard each day, one of those being Q216 I believe.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

penn central and railfan modeler....whats still there is a healthy business of boxcars full of corona beer from mexico, lumber reload, steel and an other odd assortment of things.

bus12
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bus12 »

Looks like a company specializing in plastics to fuel integration is looking to locate a facility into existing infrustructure here and add a spur as well. Located on Columbus's se side in Obetz next to a NS line.

http://www.themountvernongrapevine.com/ ... -in-obetz/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

New traffic out of Flat Rock for the I&O and ADBF. Not sure what customer on the ADBF is getting it, but loads of carbon dioxide started coming out of CN earlier this week for interchange via the I&O.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I would have guessed the ethanol plant in Blissfield would be involved but if that were the case the loads would be going north and not south :?
Y@ wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 pm
New traffic out of Flat Rock for the I&O and ADBF. Not sure what customer on the ADBF is getting it, but loads of carbon dioxide started coming out of CN earlier this week for interchange via the I&O.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The ethanol place at Riga has been used only for storage for a couple years now. And I’m not sure what an ethanol plant would want with carbon dioxide anyway...
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought that carbon dioxide is a byproduct of the ethanol production process. Or am I confusing it for another carbon product?
Y@ wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 am
The ethanol place at Riga has been used only for storage for a couple years now. And I’m not sure what an ethanol plant would want with carbon dioxide anyway...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Or maybe this https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... -catalyst/
AARR wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:21 am
I thought that carbon dioxide is a byproduct of the ethanol production process. Or am I confusing it for another carbon product?
Y@ wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 am

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

There is an air gas facility at the the ethanol plant. Maybe they are getting it in by railcar since the plant is shut down.