Ohio rail business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ohio rail business news

Unread post by CG Tower »

Nelson packaging is WEST of the P&G facility. There is plenty of room to build a spur into their location off of the CF&E as Nelson is expanding into the open area to the east of their facility...this is where the spur will go. The Ohio Rail Development Commission has assisted with this project and all the surveying/engineering work is completed.

This was a nice "win" for our local economic development office.

CG Tower

AARR wrote:
redside20 wrote:A Packaging firm out of Lima is expanding and adding rail infrustructure to their plant. Nelson Packaging located on Reservoir Road
http://www.limaohio.com/news/business-h ... d-140-jobs

There plant is next to I75 and the CFE runs right behind their Plant
http://binged.it/1bBjDs9
With the reservoir between the plant and CF&E ROW I wonder how they'll layout the spur to the plant :? Looks to be a little east of the P&G plant.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

The City of Columbus owns 47.50 Acers of land SW of the Wilson Road Bridge over the Camp Chase RR per the Auditor Web Site, which will have a bike trail along the rail line, they just did some work on the Broad Street Bridge to make room:

The maker of Vagabond Pale Ale no longer will wander the wilderness.

Scottish craft-brewer BrewDog is putting down roots in central Ohio. The company on Wednesday confirmed plans to create more than 100 jobs with a 100,000-square-foot production brewery and canning line, creating a complex that also will include a restaurant, taproom and offices for its U.S. headquarters.

Although the site for the brewery was not released, the company said it will be accessible by rail and a cycling path. BrewDog looked at a number of other cities to host its U.S. presence, but settled on Columbus for more than economic reasons.

“We considered so many potential locations in the U.S., but eventually it was how much we loved the people of Columbus and how welcome they made us feel on our visits that put Columbus firmly at the top of our list,” according to an announcement on the company’s website.

Columbus 2020 and JobsOhio courted BrewDog for six months, said Kenny McDonald, Columbus 2020 chief executive.

“They are a great company. It’s just a really solid business,” McDonald said. “It’s obviously an industry that is doing very well and expanding across the globe.”

BrewDog is based in Ellon, near Aberdeen, Scotland, and has craft-beer bars across Europe.

McDonald and BrewDog declined to say more about the central Ohio site or incentives that have been offered. BrewDog said incentives have not been completed, though the company has agreed to buy 42 acres of land. The next meeting of the Ohio Tax Credit Authority is on June 29.

BrewDog plans to begin with a 100-barrel brewing system, larger than the 85-barrel system at its home brewery in Scotland, which is being expanded fivefold. Details about expected U.S. production were not provided.

The brewer made about 100,000 barrels of beer in the past 12 months, according to the company, which is slightly less than what Great Lakes of Cleveland makes in a year.

It might seem odd for a foreign craft brewer to expand to a land swimming in craft breweries, but there is room for more, according to analysts.

“The beer market does seem saturated, but amazingly it is not,” said Tim Powell of Think Marketing, a Dublin restaurant- and beverage-consulting firm. “All the major breweries are losing their shirt to the craft brands.”

Craft beer grabbed 11 percent of the beer market last year by volume and 19 percent of the market by dollars spent, according to the Brewers Association, a national trade group. The Brewers Association believes craft beer can command 20 percent of the market by 2020.

Coming to the U.S. is a logical step for a foreign beer-maker, for the same reasons foreign carmakers and other manufacturers locate here: America is big and dynamic.

“Certainly, they think they bring something unique and distinctive, but it probably goes beyond that,” said Bart Watson, chief economist for the Brewers Association. “The U.S. is arguably the most exciting beer market in the world right now.”

No figures were released about the amount of money BrewDog will spend on the project, but it likely eclipses the $4.6 million the company pinned to the project as part of its ongoing Equity for Punks crowdfunding effort. BrewDog hopes to bring the same sort of crowdfunding approach stateside (Americans currently are barred from buying shares) to help finance the brewery and bars, according to the company.

Crowdfunding isn’t new for breweries. Several in Columbus have used such campaigns to get off the ground. It is a smart move for a newcomer, Watson said.

“It makes a lot of sense,” he said. “It builds in a ready clientele who are committed to your success.”

BrewDog investors get discounts at bars and invitations to special events, among other perks. They also can buy and sell shares via a company-run trading program.

Building near Columbus has advantages beyond tax credits and other incentives.

“The interesting thing with Columbus is that it is a major test market,” Powell said. “We have a pretty diversified consumer base of people. The craft-beer markets are really both coasts, but here there isn’t as much competition.”

jmalone@dispatch.com

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

http://thebellevuegazette.com/top-stori ... ng-to-town

Tower Automotive to add new lines at the Bellevue plant. Wonder if they'll start shipping by rail again.

redside20

A roofing manufacturer that NS serves on spur from the Dayton District is adding infrustructure and employees at their Franklin Ohio Plant.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/ ... -jobs.html
Exit stage left

redside20

Ethane Cracker Plant coming closer to reality in Belmont Co Ohio....on the site of an old power plant...
http://marcellusdrilling.com/2016/12/oh ... red-ready/
Exit stage left

redside20

Some more tidbits about the I&O...I don't know if Midland Sub has told you guys but the I&O has been shipping about four or five car blocks of petcoke from Husky in Lima down to the Riverbarges in Cincinnati. And another development that has been in the works for what seems like an eternity...Norfolk Southern, GM, and the I&O are coming together to ship automotive products to the Navistar Plant in Springfield...The truck frames for this vehicle will come off the CN at Flat Rock from Lansing? And there will be cabs shipped in boxcars coming from an assembly plant near St Louis that could be to Springfield in two ways..A st louis-Louisville-Cincy routing to connect with IORY at Sharonville or up the Wabash to Fort Wayne and have the CFE forward them to Lima...Interesting developments, who knows but this is said to be going down sometime in 2017...The Navistar Plant also has a Volkswagon contract and another coming from Mexico..

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/ ... OnfigHu2H/
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm not aware of a frame plant in Lansing. Loaded frame flat cars come from Canada so maybe that's where they're coming from.
redside20 wrote:The truck frames for this vehicle will come off the CN at Flat Rock from Lansing?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Someone mentioned this. I think they said it's a monthly movement.
redside20 wrote:I don't know if Midland Sub has told you guys but the I&O has been shipping about four or five car blocks of petcoke from Husky in Lima down to the Riverbarges in Cincinnati.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

Ohio or Indiana is in the running for a proposed Bunge Soybean Processing Plant and the I&O line could quite possibly be the recipient All up and down the I&o line from Michigan border down to Cincy is being looked at...Other lines in Ohio and Indiana are under consideration too...Speculation is that Delta Yard is in the running but I would say that the plant could be down in the southern part of the state..here or in Indiana.

http://www.agriculture.com/markets/news ... na-or-ohio
Exit stage left

redside20

Nucor expanding their Nucor rebar mill in Marion Ohio...It has been a big traffic source for NS and CSX who both share switching duties at the plant.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/2017/ ... ohio-mill/
Exit stage left

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

redside20 wrote:Nucor expanding their Nucor rebar mill in Marion Ohio...It has been a big traffic source for NS and CSX who both share switching duties at the plant.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/2017/ ... ohio-mill/

Cool, maybe give the L38/L39 something more to do.

redside20

And this will give the local out of Portsmouth something more to do as well..In South Point Ohio.

http://www.areadevelopment.com/newsItem ... ohio.shtml
Exit stage left

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

redside20 wrote:And this will give the local out of Portsmouth something more to do as well..In South Point Ohio.

http://www.areadevelopment.com/newsItem ... ohio.shtml

Kenova most likely if the plant gets rail service.

redside20

Yes on the west side of South Point in an area known as the Point Industrial Park. There are already rail spurs here and materials like silica, alumina, carbon black, and limestone will be shipped in. Not sure what will be shipped out and how it will be shipped.
Exit stage left

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

redside20 wrote:Yes on the west side of South Point in an area known as the Point Industrial Park. There are already rail spurs here and materials like silica, alumina, carbon black, and limestone will be shipped in. Not sure what will be shipped out and how it will be shipped.

I know where its at, been by it many many times working the PW pool on that side. I mean't most likely it'll be a Kenova job that services the plant.

redside20

OSRR wrote:
redside20 wrote:Yes on the west side of South Point in an area known as the Point Industrial Park. There are already rail spurs here and materials like silica, alumina, carbon black, and limestone will be shipped in. Not sure what will be shipped out and how it will be shipped.

I know where its at, been by it many many times working the PW pool on that side. I mean't most likely it'll be a Kenova job that services the plant.
Had no idea NS kept locals at Kenova. Knew they interchanged with CSX and a terminal railroad off a bridge ramp there. Thanks for clarifying.
Exit stage left

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

redside20 wrote:
OSRR wrote:

Had no idea NS kept locals at Kenova. Knew they interchanged with CSX and a terminal railroad off a bridge ramp there. Thanks for clarifying.
Still a couple based out of there. Couple industries and KRT (coal transload) that we deliver coal to.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what jobs are left down there. I never trained on that side (except when I kicked to the short pool (PW)) and I've been on the Lake side for the last 2 years or so.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Does anybody know if the Topre Plant in Springfield at the old Lagonda IH site is going to have rail service for inbound steel or outbound scrap?

The site sites at the crossing of the IORY DT&I line and Mechanicsburg Line

redside20

jallenp7 wrote:Does anybody know if the Topre Plant in Springfield at the old Lagonda IH site is going to have rail service for inbound steel or outbound scrap?

The site sites at the crossing of the IORY DT&I line and Mechanicsburg Line

Hmmm..just found out about it. Never thought anything would actually go in here, but they pulled it off.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/busin ... kCdQ8vw9L/
Exit stage left

redside20

In other news an I&O customer in Leipsic Ohio, Patrick Products...is now Pretium Plastics.

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... k-products
Exit stage left