Ohio rail business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Ohio rail business news

Unread post by redside20 »

Sauder Woodworking in Archbold is hiring more workers..Is Sauder served by NS and if so will this translate to more car shipments?
http://www.furnituretoday.com/article/4 ... a-contract..

BTW, another IKEA is coming to Ohio...to Columbus..
Exit stage left

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Not sure if they are going to use Rail or not but here it is, Maybe somebody would know were they are going build in Wilmington:

California company to bring 100 jobs to Wilmington (Exclusive)
Tristan NaveraStaff Reporter- Dayton Business JournalEmail | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google+
A California food packaging company is looking to set up shop in Wilmington, creating 100 jobs.

Anaheim, California-based L&L Foods Inc. would invest $3.1 million to build a new 103,000-square-foot facility in Wilmington, said an official with the Dayton Development Coalition. The company manufactures food packaging for croutons, nuts, parfaits and other food products. The new space will be for packaging and distribution.

Pending incentives, the company plans to get started on the facility in coming months

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Nope they are going to use one of the buildings over by the air park that's sat empty since DHL left.

Sounds like the I&o might be picking up a new customer. Pallet company in Wash CH sounds like they are going to give rail a good hard look receiving Canadian wood for a specific customer of theirs. Wood will come in via boxcars and be unloaded at Domtar dock.

redside20

Eric D are you out there? I was reading The May edition of Railroads Illustrated and an article on the Lima Ford Engine Plant caught my eye. Back in March several newspapers reported that the Lima Plant was getting a 500 million investment to produce new engines for the Ford F150 for the 2015 model year. Now I didn't put that March article in here because the Lima Plant no longer uses rail access. But in this article, it states "Although located on the former Indiana & Ohio's former DT&I trackage, NS enjoys access to this facility. Does this mean, the Lima facility is getting rail service again? Mark can you chime in too?

Also from this same Ford Article, the magazine hinted for a continuation of rail service of the new line of medium duty trucks at the Avon Lake Ford Plant that were transferred here from Mexico. Even though most of the E series van production will terminate, some production of the E-series cutaway vans and chassis will continue. I have no idea what cutaway vans are.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:Eric D are you out there? I was reading The May edition of Railroads Illustrated and an article on the Lima Ford Engine Plant caught my eye. Back in March several newspapers reported that the Lima Plant was getting a 500 million investment to produce new engines for the Ford F150 for the 2015 model year. Now I didn't put that March article in here because the Lima Plant no longer uses rail access. But in this article, it states "Although located on the former Indiana & Ohio's former DT&I trackage, NS enjoys access to this facility. Does this mean, the Lima facility is getting rail service again? Mark can you chime in too?
CN just scrapped the dark green 60' hi-cube box cars that had been in storage in Flat Rock that were used in Lima Ford engine service until they discontinued service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

No on outbound use of rail for the new engine produced at Lima. At worst Rouge is two hours from Lima truck wise?

Cutaway and chassis you see at the time. Cutaway is either a U Haul for example or ambulance, basically built like a normal E Series van but just with the driver cab built. Chassis is frame, motor, transmission and steering wheel. Go check out Horton on McDowell Rd in Grove City to see both.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/08/201 ... -versions/

These will eventually replace the e-series van cut away versions. Like all the other ones, they'll be built in Kansas City as well, leaving Avon Lake for the medium duty truck production only.

redside20 wrote:Eric D are you out there? I was reading The May edition of Railroads Illustrated and an article on the Lima Ford Engine Plant caught my eye. Back in March several newspapers reported that the Lima Plant was getting a 500 million investment to produce new engines for the Ford F150 for the 2015 model year. Now I didn't put that March article in here because the Lima Plant no longer uses rail access. But in this article, it states "Although located on the former Indiana & Ohio's former DT&I trackage, NS enjoys access to this facility. Does this mean, the Lima facility is getting rail service again? Mark can you chime in too?

Also from this same Ford Article, the magazine hinted for a continuation of rail service of the new line of medium duty trucks at the Avon Lake Ford Plant that were transferred here from Mexico. Even though most of the E series van production will terminate, some production of the E-series cutaway vans and chassis will continue. I have no idea what cutaway vans are.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Sorry for the late reply...

As stated by others, the Ford Engine Plant in Lima does not have rail access, does not plan on rail access, and ripped out all rail into the plant facility. Not sure where the article got the information, but it is sadly incorrect. Perhaps they are getting things confused with the fact that I&O does, on occasion, interchange Ford auto traffic to NS at Morris. This is about the only connection back to Ford.

As a side note, the new engine line at Ford is pretty sweet...and the new engine itself is a work of art (if you appreciate such things).

EricD (aka CG Tower)
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CG Tower wrote:Perhaps they are getting things confused with the fact that I&O does, on occasion, interchange Ford auto traffic to NS at Morris. This is about the only connection back to Ford.
Would you happen to know where the Ford business I&O is handling comes from?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

I think, but am not 100% sure, small cuts of auto-racks to NS for movement to the Mixing Center near Fostoria...however, with that said, its been a few months since I've seen one of these cuts...so, I am not sure now...

CG
AARR wrote:
CG Tower wrote:Perhaps they are getting things confused with the fact that I&O does, on occasion, interchange Ford auto traffic to NS at Morris. This is about the only connection back to Ford.
Would you happen to know where the Ford business I&O is handling comes from?
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

CG Tower wrote:Sorry for the late reply...

As stated by others, the Ford Engine Plant in Lima does not have rail access, does not plan on rail access, and ripped out all rail into the plant facility. Not sure where the article got the information, but it is sadly incorrect. Perhaps they are getting things confused with the fact that I&O does, on occasion, interchange Ford auto traffic to NS at Morris. This is about the only connection back to Ford.

As a side note, the new engine line at Ford is pretty sweet...and the new engine itself is a work of art (if you appreciate such things).

EricD (aka CG Tower)
Same sad state of affairs killed off the CN Romeo Sub in SE Michigan - Ford Romeo Engine didn't want nor need rail (intermodal container by truck chassis or TL trailer to the dock instead) so out came the old GTW, nee Michigan Air Line between Pontiac and Richmond, MI. :(

I'm assuming Ford Lima handles their transportation the same way - rubber tire.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I'm under the impression that the I&O-NS movement of auto-racks for Fostoria via Lima was coming to an end this year. The I&O's cut wasn't much and thus G&W has no interest or urgency in the move. Whether this is why the auto-rack traffic in Lima CG used to see, as limited as it was, is gone or the current shortage of auto-racks is the cause I can't confirm at this moment. The limited amount of new Mustangs and Fusions moving this way were supposed to start being trucked to Fostoria instead. Using rail via Lima logistically makes no sense for anyone involved. CN crew has to pull it from the plant and then spot them in the yard for the I&O with the rest of their interchange. Then it sits for one of the days the I&O heads to Flat Rock. Sits at Delta for the LNL to take south. Then gets spotted on the NS interchange. Goes to Fostoria to be spotted then unloaded and mixed for it's final destination..... Trucking it to Fostoria just makes better sense. Most days by the time CN is getting around to pulling the ramp the vehicles could have already been to Fostoria and loaded there.....

Thanks CG for confirming they pulled the rails up at the Lima plant. I had heard they were planning on removing them.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

dmitzel wrote:Same sad state of affairs killed off the CN Romeo Sub in SE Michigan - Ford Romeo Engine didn't want nor need rail (intermodal container by truck chassis or TL trailer to the dock instead) so out came the old GTW, nee Michigan Air Line between Pontiac and Richmond, MI. :(
GTW and later CN kept the Romeo Line expecting to get traffic from Romeo Ford Engine (it was a Ford Tractor plant prior and a good source of traffic with four spurs). For whatever reasons after its conversion to an engine plant in the early 1990's it never shipped by rail again.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

redside20

railohio wrote:This been covered yet?

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 235949.pdf
It is now...thanks RO
Exit stage left

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

More business news.
Unnamed grocery store chain is building a distribution center at Findlay. One of the reasons listed for choosing Findlay is CSX North Baltimore hub. Facility will employee between 400 and 500 workers when fully operational in 2016.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

redside20 wrote:
railohio wrote:This been covered yet?

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 235949.pdf
It is now...thanks RO
Does this mean the entire Wapak industrial track will be leased to this operator?

redside20

If a business uses rail once a year, are they considered a rail customer? National Machinery in Tiffin is adding more work and a rail spur that was once part of the PRR Carrothers Secondary runs right behind it. Last year or so, they hauled a piece of machinery out by rail
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Natio ... 34890d0691
http://www.advertiser-tribune.com/page/ ... l?nav=5005

oh yes and the new grocery distribution center coming to Findlay is McLanes
http://thecourier.com/breaking-news/201 ... on-center/
Exit stage left

redside20

Took a drive out to Old Fort and back to Bellevue, I noticed the petroleum gas depot right across the Arm & Hammer Plant on the Fostoria District has a new name. The sign at the entrance read "Plains LPG Services" This is located between Old Fort and Green Springs
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Old+F ... 7d1f8a7b38

In all my years of going by this place, I've never seen the gas depot this active and with that many tankers at the facility.
Exit stage left

redside20

I read in the Norwalk paper that a milling facility might be coming to Willard adjacent to CSX and the Pepperidge Farms cookie plant there on Route 103. The business in question is Star of the West Milling out of Kent Ohio.

This is the area in question in Willard..the field between the current PF plant and the CSX line out back
Exit stage left