Bellevue humpyard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bellevue humpyard

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

railohio wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.
Rebuild the Panhandle.
Go for it, then I could watch trains out from my deck!

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

srjason wrote:
railohio wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.
Rebuild the Panhandle.
Too bad Conrail sold most of the land (at least it appears so from Urbana to Bradford), so it can't be rebuilt. At one point W of Piqua, OH there is a house built in the middle of the ROW.
There is one just west of Urbana, on like Behr road or something like that.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Here we go again after CSX wrote a chapter on the Peavine now he wants to open it up or maybe he is just rattling the cage. The Peavine would be the answer as with all the improvements in Bellevue trains are still sitting on the rails today. Nothing moving.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

heypal6878 wrote:Here we go again after CSX wrote a chapter on the Peavine now he wants to open it up or maybe he is just rattling the cage. The Peavine would be the answer as with all the improvements in Bellevue trains are still sitting on the rails today. Nothing moving.
I can't take it any more. Explain how it would fix problems with Bellevue? I must be stupid because I don't get it.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

CSX_CO wrote:
heypal6878 wrote: The Peavine would be the answer as with all the improvements in Bellevue trains are still sitting on the rails today.
Explain how it would fix problems with Bellevue?
Doing my best Flounder imitation: Oh boy, is this gonna be great!
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I thought you could tell me! Your the one that brought up the subject on page three. You keep telling me that the Peavine won't fix the problem but I was wondering if you can tell us what can? I know NS needs more crews but there is no more crews. Bellevue has a new yard, more room, yet yesterday it was all hands on deck to get trains off the main line. So I figure you may have a fix to the problem up there.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

heypal6878 wrote:I thought you could tell me! Your the one that brought up the subject on page three. You keep telling me that the Peavine won't fix the problem but I was wondering if you can tell us what can? I know NS needs more crews but there is no more crews. Bellevue has a new yard, more room, yet yesterday it was all hands on deck to get trains off the main line. So I figure you may have a fix to the problem up there.
It's been said what would go a long way in fixing Bellevues problems, yet some people can't see it. Has nothing to do with crews, or mainlines, or whatever. Would not cost any money to implement and would probabky save NS money. Been stated repeatedly.

So, based upon that admission, I guess I was rattling the cage then?

Still don't know how a line from Cincinnati to Portsmouth and beyond helps congestion in a hump yard at the northern end of the state. Apparently some people do, so by all means, enlighten me.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Couple of things and hopefully some of these start to sink in with you.....

First off I don't need to defend CSX CO by any stretch, but you must not know he works the hump at Avon. Just might know what he's talking about when it comes to how yard operations work. Plus spent several years in T&E service on CSX. Between the two umm he knows what he's talking about....

Please read what I'm about to say several times and hopefully it sinks in and answers your questions. Peavine rumors of reopening the line were just fluff. It came down from ivory towers of Norfolk and Atlanta to look at every possible solution to improve operations. So yes the flipping Peavine discussion came up. Just as quickly it was shot down as there was already work on the CCET lease and discontinue of service filings. There's a reason the filings were split up into two separate sections. Doing that allows CCET if the need arises to extend service east of Williamsburg, which has already came about with service to the grain elevator at Winchester starting up soon. Read the STB filings again. Read them several times. There's a reason the first filling was Willamsburg to Plum Run. Then Plum Run to Vera. Read the details of the required repairs NS put in black in white. NS has no plans on using the Peavine anytime soon. They made sure they went line by line on the required repairs for two reasons. One is if and when NS ever decides to abandon the line its going to happen quickly. Please understand there's still quite a few important people at NS that would pull up Plum Run to Vera tomorrow if they had their way. But there's also a contingent there that want it preserved. The flip side of NS listing the required repairs is to first off help CCET get some grant money from the ORDC if they extend service and if NS ever decides to actually reopen the line themselves they can cry poor and see if the feds or ORDC will help fund the work.

Does the line need all the repairs listed by NS? Probably not 100% but look at this in a business sense. Nothing happens with things like this without the legal dept putting their two cents in. Reopen the line with minimum work and ignore half of those repairs the first derailment or injury from something that was listed as a need repair and NS is liable. NS isn't going to reopen this line to bypass congestion just to run things at 10 mph or less. So lets say they need to dump $20 million into the line to get to 25 mph and all crossing protection activated. That just gets the ball rolling. Now they need to establish a T&E crew base. Next they need to add MOW and signal maintainers to cover the line. Next step what traffic to run on the line next? You're not going to run intermodal trains at 25 mph over the line and you're not going to go backwards to single stack either. So now all we have left are unit trains and mixed freight. If you know anything about the line you know it's a pain in the butt to run anything heavy due to the grades. NS isn't going to assign DPUs just to run over the Peavine. Forget the argument that the power is higher horsepower and can pull heavier trains. Sure but the rules of physics still apply so are you going to double everything like they used to on unit train and coal trains or chance breaking a knuckle or pulling a drawbar out?

Then explain to me once you get to Cincy then what? Cincy is congested enough without adding slow unit trains or whatever. Add more trains to Cincy you have to hire more people there. So lets take the New Castle Dist and bog it down with extra traffic it doesn't need to handle. Start looking at the money NS would have to sink into the Peavine plus other places to make it work. None of that helps with the core issue of Bellevue's issues. I've lived for 3 plus years in Circletucky on the Columbus Dist. It's not maxed out on capacity. Dayton Dist is the same way. So even if you want to run something via Cincy there's more than enough capacity to go north to Columbus and then south via Dayton like they have since the Peavine shutdown. Maybe another ten years it might fit better in the NS operating plan, but now the Peavine isn't the solution because look how quick the switch to the CFE came together.

So you want the answer to fix Bellevue? Stop routing traffic to Bellevue to run over the hump just to justify the expansion. They are trying to make Bellevue a hub like UPS, FedEx and the DHL do with their air freight. Doesn't matter where it's going they fly it into their hub to sort and fly it back. Could be going across the state and it gets flown anyway. So NS is sending stuff hundreds and hundreds of miles out of the way to Bellevue. That load of scrap loaded in Tennesse going to Birmingham doesn't need to be routed 400 extra miles just to prove a point. There's your congestion. Look at both NS and CSX fourth quarter results. Revenue was up but carloads were flat.

It's not a paper or model railroad where we make things up as we go. Just think about what I and CSX CO and others have said.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Wow these Southern Ohio boys sure are delusional. I think they've been drinking out of the Ohio River for way too long. Not that all posters down that way are like this there are some pretty sane ones who keep a level head..ie Landrum..The Rohdenburg brothers etc...It's these two posters who posts mirror each others in a way that you'd think its one poster posing as two different posters.
Exit stage left

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Midland Sub thank you for your explanation in detail. Not being a railroad employee it is rather difficult to see all the details you wrote about but now I understand. Hey I'm just a novice. I do understand that the Peavine has issues, double stacks would never work there, and light rail would be the only thing that would work as MPH would be no more than 10 to 15. A derailment would have major issues.

Rail traffic going east to Cincinnati would also be an issue. So NS needs to find another route and they have several options rather then going in Bellevue. It just doesn't compute that they run so far out of the way to get here. I always thought shorter was better. How about CSX don't they use the Bellevue yard? I thought they had a yard up there maybe I'm wrong. Surely they don't run trains from a far distance to go to Bellevue. Most CSX trains in Ohio run up to Hamilton Ohio and up north of there to London to Columbus Ohio. At least that is what I have seen in the past.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Good lord, this is STILL a discussion?! LET IT DIE!
Bottom text.

redside20

How about CSX don't they use the Bellevue yard? I thought they had a yard up there maybe I'm wrong...

Huh?

Most CSX trains in Ohio run up to Hamilton Ohio and up north of there to London to Columbus Ohio. At least that is what I have seen in the past....

WTF?! maybe in a parallel universe..are you sure there CSX trains?

Come on, this guy has to be trolling...This has to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read.
Exit stage left

cumbres
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cumbres »

Give it a rest Mr. Know it All, by the way aren`t you the guy that started the Peavine thread? I believe the answer to that question is absolutely Yes!

redside20

cumbres wrote:Give it a rest Mr. Know it All, by the way aren`t you the guy that started the Peavine thread? I believe the answer to that question is absolutely Yes!
Yeah it was me and I didn't think that thread would drag on like it has...unlike some other people, I know when to let things go.
Exit stage left

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

If you think "most CSX trains in Ohio run up to Hamilton and north of there to London and Columbus" you are not paying very much attention. I would say 30-40 CSX moves through Hamilton is a decent guess, maybe a little high. There are 60-80 trains on CSX on the Garrett Sub every day. Last time I checked, 70 was more than 35.

Another great example of why this board was better 2 or 3 years ago. All these morons get on here now and spread their "knowledge" to the gullible masses, then everybody is running their mouths about what they "know" because somebody said that someone else told them that they heard a railroader say blah blah blah. This wasn't a problem a few years back, and now here we are, overrun with these special people who know everything and are never wrong.

Sorry guys, that's not how it works. Keep trying though, I enjoy the lolz I get on here.
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

heypal6878 wrote:Not being a railroad employee it is rather difficult to see all the details.
You probably should started, and ended, your first post in this thread with that sentence.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Gee I ask a question or two and I get I'm trolling. Trolling for what just asking a question. Now I'm a moron for asking a question. Next I will be a dumb person for asking a question. I figure most here work for railroads or have been affiliated with railroad operation. I'm just a novice asking a question.

Rumors well not really sure if what I have heard and have read is all rumors. I'm not going to mention the railroad because I can see that most on this board feel that that railroad is shut down 100% and will not open again. So there is no use in beating a dead horse. I will take your word as it appears everyone here is an expert. Just trying to get a question answered is like getting votes to keep Homeland Security to stay open by Congress today.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

heypal6878 wrote:Gee I ask a question or two and I get I'm trolling.
On this thread, the only question you asked was about CSX using the Bellevue yard, when in fact you already know its a NS yard.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry boys I made a mistake. I meant to say not the Bellevue Yard but the Buckeye Yard. I know NS and CSX share that yard and CSX doesn't have anything to do with Bellevue. :D

redside20

K...I see on trainorders that NS has made some schedule revisions to some of their trains that are not detours..So

NS 331 is now a Detroit to Moraine train and 344 is a Toledo to Moraine train...For those that don't know where Moraine is, that is a yard in Dayton Ohio that used to stage autos from the adjacent GM Plant. 16E is now a BRC to Portsmouth train and 18A now runs from Ashland Ave to Portsmouth. I was told by someone on a facebook page that 326 is now originating out of Fort Wayne and hauling that traffic to Bellevue. 306 no longer does any work in the Fort Wayne for the time being.

link here
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,3681209
Exit stage left