Bellevue humpyard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Bellevue humpyard

Unread post by AARR »

bdconrail29 wrote:
AARR wrote:There was a detailed article in Trains Magazine a few months ago about the progress and timeline of completion of the renovated yard.
Thank you. At the risk of sounding rude, I will apologize beforehand and assure you that I am NOT trying to be rude. But, I don't get Trains Magazine (don't let Brian see...).
If I could remember details about the article (how far along they are, timeline for completion, why they are adding, etc.) I'd post but unfortunately I don't but if anyone else does perhaps they can find the edition and share the info with you.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Both my parents houses are right near the yard in Bellevue and I traveled up and down Route 4 several times to and from Sandusky over the weekend. From my own eyes I can tell you that part of yard is very much being expanded. Right now I can tell you that the sub road bed has been finished and crews were working on putting ballast and other equipment in preparation for the opening.
Exit stage left

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Thanks guys.

I should be able to pull up and pay for the Trains article I do believe. Or just break down and get the 3 year subscription at a discounted price.
Brett

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

Here's an NS pdf from their investor conference last month that has a lot of information about the Bellevue expansion

http://www.nscorp.com/content/dam/inves ... 4-book.pdf

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Bellevue_Guy wrote:Here's an NS pdf from their investor conference last month that has a lot of information about the Bellevue expansion

Its been reported that NS is possibly the highest bidder for the D&H i betcha Bellevue sees even more traffic if that happens its going to get even busier.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know what the black areas are near the bottom end of each bowl track?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Probably inert retarders that catch the first couple cars into the track and keep them from rolling when humped into.

Interesting the bowl tracks there curve where they allow cars to couple up. Wonder if they have problems with bypass damage and derailments when cars hit in the curves?

Practice Safe CSX

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

penn central wrote:
Bellevue_Guy wrote:Here's an NS pdf from their investor conference last month that has a lot of information about the Bellevue expansion

Its been reported that NS is possibly the highest bidder for the D&H i betcha Bellevue sees even more traffic if that happens its going to get even busier.
Looks like Bellevue needs to be added to Toledo and Fostoria as part of a railfan "circle-trip" next year :wink:

Will make for a great 'fanning weekend not too far away (for this SE Michigan resident). With hotspots like these this close to home who needs to trek to Rochelle anyway.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

While trying to find something Bellevue related on google I stumbled across this long .pdf that is a nice detailed overview of the whole yard expansion project. Neat read for anyone curious about all the various track alterations and additions that are going on aside from just adding the new bowl.

https://www.arema.org/files/library/201 ... roject.pdf
CSX_CO wrote:Probably inert retarders that catch the first couple cars into the track and keep them from rolling when humped into.
Practice Safe CSX
Thanks, that makes sense. The document above calls them "skate retarders."

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Here's another pdf with a lot of pictures and some interesting overview info about future traffic changes

http://www.nscorp.com/content/dam/inves ... slides.pdf

redside20

With the expansion coming to a conclusion there have been indeed some changes in train scheduling according to what I've read tonight...A new NS train has sprouted up along the NKP from Chicago to Bellevue...NS 326 operates daily from Pullman Junction in the early morning hours and is supposed to be in Bellevue by 10 at night..Where and What is Pullman Junction? It's in Chicago, that's all I know. A 38G also originates from there but that terminates in Elkhart. Train 179 out of Bellevue is now operating daily to Birmingham Ala instead of four days a week. Train 178 out of Detroit has been renumbered to 331..Trains 17D and 199 out of Watkins Yard have been abolished and have its traffic shifted to NS 169 A Conway-Sharonville train. Not Bellevue but 123 was abolished in Indiana in favor of train 143 performing the Indiana Circle Tour. Its trip to Chattanooga begins in Elkhart down the Marion Branch and onto the NS Huntington District at Wabash. Then it performs yard work at Lafayette and goes east on the Frankfort District when is it done. It then the does work at Frankfort and continues east back onto the Marion Branch at Alexandria and then down to Cincinnati and beyond without doing work the rest of the way.
Exit stage left

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

A shadow of its former self, Pullman Jct. is where the Nickel Plate connects with the BRC and crosses the Chicago Rail Link (on a former Rock Island line) on the south side.

Just curious but where did you get this information because it seems a bit dated. I don't ever remember a 17D on the Sandusky District and to my knowledge 199 was simply Watkins to Sharonville. Usually ran in the early evening. It's now gone and they extended 169 to Chattanooga (this was some months ago). 375 originates now at Bellevue instead of Watkins.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.

Practice Safe CSX

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

CSX_CO wrote:Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.
Rebuild the Panhandle.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

srjason
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by srjason »

railohio wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.
Rebuild the Panhandle.
Too bad Conrail sold most of the land (at least it appears so from Urbana to Bradford), so it can't be rebuilt. At one point W of Piqua, OH there is a house built in the middle of the ROW.

cumbres
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cumbres »

Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.

It certainly couldn`t hurt, but it probably won`t happen either.

redside20

Just curious but where did you get this information because it seems a bit dated. I don't ever remember a 17D on the Sandusky District

This months edition of the new and improved Railfan & Railroad magazine in the mainline railnews section. Sayre Kos the editor is picking up where Cynthia and Stephen Priest left off in their railnews section in RI...Yes this info is at least a month or so behind and always was when it was Railroads Illustrated. From what the editor wrote, he noted that 17D was Bellevue-Macon Train..maybe it ran at night.

375 originates now at Bellevue instead of Watkins. The magazine indirectly mentions that Watkins Yard lost two outbound trains and one inbound..The magazine said Elkhart will focus on local Chicago blocks and for Conway yard to handle more energy blocks and adding more tracks to consolidate oil traffic.
Exit stage left

redside20

cumbres wrote:Opening the Peavine would alleviate all Bellevues problems.

It certainly couldn`t hurt, but it probably won`t happen either.
lolz I knew this Peavine crap was gonna go show up here..please keep this garbage to the Peavine thread.
Exit stage left

cumbres
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cumbres »

Why don`t you tell the guy that posted it first there smart guy

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

cumbres wrote:Why don`t you tell the guy that posted it first there smart guy
Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of the thread, one anecdotal observation I have is that I've yet to see both sides of the hump working at the same time in the 15-20ish times I've driven over the route 4 overpass since the new bowl went into operation. It's always been either one or the other or neither when I happen to drive by. Any one seen or heard of them using both at the same time yet?