North Baltimore yard.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
ISWBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: North Baltimore yard.

Unread post by ISWBrad »

Has anyone read the TO NW ohio winter storm talk about the yard, all I can say is wow they are all over the place. So lets shed some light on the place. I work in the yard operating cranes, straddles, hostler and grounds and the yard is out of this world in terms of future growth in technology and investment. The cranes are controlled by an operator not just there to supervise computers. The cameras help guide the operator in trollying, gantrying and hoisting. The only automated part is eventually some container tracking where it will get you above the container your looking for at a hit of a button but not hoist, land and lock for you. The toilets are coming but for now we use porter johns at the base of the cranes, try the old carpet bomb trick and they will have a john madden highlight reel of you doing it. the cranes will work up to 50mph and we were able to work non stop last night through the storm, the cranes are heated so its not bad when your up there but unlocking and locking throwing in ibcs is still done the old fashion way lol so it was a litle cold last night but once you get going you kinda forget about the weather.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

I see one of the straddles had a problem. Looks like it went where it should not have.

willardgarrett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by willardgarrett »

That was fast.
The B&O mainline through Ohio- the "diamond route"

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

Q164 looks like the old Q112. has anyone else noticed any other differences with the trains that work/originate/terminate at north baltimore?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Q157 no longer appears to be the monster it used to be...I've seen it twice since NB opened and both times it was right around 4,000 feet.
Bottom text.

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Q112 is now running again. The 162 no longer runs from the windy city.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Showing 10 trains a day thru facility. Will go to 16 April 1 and up from there.

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

Heard there having flooding issue any truth to that?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Bentrail wrote:Heard there having flooding issue any truth to that?
I dont know if you mean just the yard, or on the main also? The main has no flooding issues as far as my last trip. Cant really see the yard having much issues due to flooding by the fact that they put in drains all across the yard, abut every 1000 to 200 feet. Flooding always effects the Toledo Branch and Toledo Sub, in Findaly and Ottawa.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Toledo Branch was underwater at Findlay for a few days last week, everything had to go to Marion. Heard the Pemberville sub was underwater at Pemberville at least once week. The B&O is high enough that it doesn't have to worry that much about flooding.

Practice Safe CSX

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

CSX_CO wrote:
Toledo Branch was underwater at Findlay for a few days last week, everything had to go to Marion. Heard the Pemberville sub was underwater at Pemberville at least once week. The B&O is high enough that it doesn't have to worry that much about flooding.

Practice Safe CSX
If the water ever covers the former B&O in the North Baltimore area it will be time to build a ark.

mrreet2001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrreet2001 »

CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
For the EX C&O to be underwater the entire town would have to be under. It is as high as the highest part of Pemberville.