Columbus Area Railfanning?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Columbus Area Railfanning?

Unread post by bnsfben »

I will be heading to Mechanicsburg OH (West of Columbus) on Saturday. I will be there for about 2-3 hours. Do any of you know any good spots to see trains that is within 15-20 minutes of there? I saw on mapquest that Urbana(?) has some tracks, but I don't know what railroad they are. I also saw that Springfield has some tracks, but again, I don't know what railroad(s) are there. Any help would much be appreciated!

I will be between Galatea and Deshler later in the day... so if anyone is out there, let me know!

Thanks for any help!

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Columbus Area Railfanning?

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bnsfben wrote:I will be heading to Mechanicsburg OH (West of Columbus) on Saturday. I will be there for about 2-3 hours. Do any of you know any good spots to see trains that is within 15-20 minutes of there? I saw on mapquest that Urbana(?) has some tracks, but I don't know what railroad they are. I also saw that Springfield has some tracks, but again, I don't know what railroad(s) are there. Any help would much be appreciated!

I will be between Galatea and Deshler later in the day... so if anyone is out there, let me know!

Thanks for any help!
Urbana doesn't have much as it's on the Indiana & Ohio, which has been reduced to a really long short line. They operate spurs that used to be the PRR main from Columbus to Chicago and the Erie Dayton Branch as well as their own main line. Springfield has the NS Dayton District and the same I&O main line that goes through Urbana. Neither of which see too much action. You could easily sit in downtown Springfield and see nothing even though it is a nice spot to do so.

As for Columbus there isn't very much compared to other big cities in Ohio. The former site of Scioto Tower sees plenty of action but is in a really bad neighborhood and I've been asked many a time by homeless locals for water, money, food, etc so I no longer go there.

Cooke Road is a popular spot among local railfans because you can park and wait and not be hassled even though there are several businesses in the area. It lies on the NS Sandusky District and the CSX Columbus Line. The NS through there is by far the busiest line in Columbus but movements on the Columbus Line are sporadic. And personally I don't think that the photography angles there are all that great, but if you're just going to be there for a little while that probably would be the best spot just to sit and watch for something.

I live in Columbus and seemingly whenever I go railfanning I try to avoid Columbus proper, but that's just me.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Mechanicsburg is a good half hour or more from Springfield- at least the Dayton District (I made that very drive today). The I&O's line to Mechanicsburg will be dead unless Heritage Co-op gets a grain train Friday- I don't think there's any coming. The Urbana Sub will be dead as Redside in an earlier post caught them coming back from there today- unless there's a grain train for Urbana or West Liberty- don't there is either. You can check out of the old B&O Alco S1 switcher Heritage uses at Mechanicsburg.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Thanks for all the info guys. My best bet is to stay in Mechanicsburg. But I will check out that switcher!