CSX N. Baltimore Hub "Taking Shape"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

CSX N. Baltimore Hub "Taking Shape"

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

From the Bowling Green (OH) "Sentinel Tribune" newspaper website. (5/12/10 edition)

http://www.sent-trib.com/trib/index.php ... Itemid=115

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: CSX N. Baltimore Hub "Taking Shape"

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CSX is still looking for a Terminal Manager of the facility. 3rd time the job has come up for applicants. Quite the impressive list of qualifications needed to be considered, as to be expected with a job such as that.

Practice Safe CSX

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

6/17/10 = "Crane Day" @ the Port of Toledo

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/n ... p?id=23600

I also saw on the local news (Channel 11) that the freighter carrying the cranes arrived in Toledo yesterday. Might have some special hi-wide moves from the Port of Toledo over the next few days. On my last drive by the site, I could also see that the fuel tanks for the engine facility were partially constructed as well.

MDH
rp.net addict

Re: 6/17/10 = "Crane Day" @ the Port of Toledo

Unread post by MDH »

MSchwiebert wrote: I also saw on the local news (Channel 11) that the freighter carrying the cranes arrived in Toledo yesterday. Might have some special hi-wide moves from the Port of Toledo over the next few days.
Based on a move reported on the TO thread it sounds like it's being trucked down to NB rather than any kind of rail hi/wide although who knows, maybe part of it could go that way.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I noticed that too, probably easier to get a specialized rigger/mover that's familliar with truck shipping than rail - who knows...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I'd read (though it might have been an internal posting on the project) that the cranes would be trucked from the "Port of Toledo" to the site. Supposed to be pretty impressive machines. Electrically powered, so very low green house emissions from them. My guess is the Admin building there will be 'green' too. The REDI expansion in Atlanta is that way, and is quite impressive.

Practice Safe CSX

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

CSX_CO wrote: Supposed to be pretty impressive machines.
Practice Safe CSX
These new widespan cranes are impressive indeed
SO much better than one of those little Mi-jack things of the past
Here is a site of more pictures of construction of BNSF's Memphis intermodal terminal, which is probably very similar to the CSX yard.
http://condrenrails.com/Recent-Trains/T ... rminal.htm
Last edited by Shorthaul on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

The new cranes are electric, though that hardly makes them green, what does is their unique abilities...when the raise a container...electricity is used, however, when they lower the container, the motors are turned to generators (much like on locomotives) and the resistance of that process slows the lowering of the container, the electricity generated is fed back into the grid.

While this is not going to generate a lot of electricity, it will, over time, offset some costs. I heard that if all cranes were operating and lowered their containers at the same time...it would actually be enough to take the terminal "off grid", even for just a moment.

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

CSX_CO wrote:I'd read (though it might have been an internal posting on the project) that the cranes would be trucked from the "Port of Toledo" to the site. Supposed to be pretty impressive machines. Electrically powered, so very low green house emissions from them. My guess is the Admin building there will be 'green' too. The REDI expansion in Atlanta is that way, and is quite impressive.

Practice Safe CSX
While the larger crane pieces are getting trucked, a bunch of containers of components/parts are going via a single stack special move X10117 which seems to have a crew on duty right now (per a report I just received from N Toledo at 2PM) . They should go via Walbridge/Fostoria down to N Baltimore this afternoon.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

So I take it these cranes are made in Europe, shipped across the Atlantic, down the St. Lawrence seaway, through Lake Ontario, through the Welland Canal, through Lake Erie and then make a left turn at the Maumee River? If so...cool!

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

MagnumForce wrote:So I take it these cranes are made in Europe, shipped across the Atlantic, down the St. Lawrence seaway, through Lake Ontario, through the Welland Canal, through Lake Erie and then make a left turn at the Maumee River? If so...cool!
This is the company that made the BNSF cranes for Seattle and Memphis, Konecranes of Finland
http://www.konecranes.com/portal/eng/eq ... rt_cranes/
Yes, Brent, that would be correct, and I agree that it's pretty awesome. Too bad there wasn't a train of the components. I guess the distance was too short :(

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

The "beams" and "legs" went via truck - but all the ancillary parts went via container train as mentioned a few posts up.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Further detailed information here:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 16/6180335

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Digging this one up again-Has anyone been through North Baltimore lately, and how much more work has been done? Are the cranes up yet?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's a nice article in Trains Mag about this yard. I don't recall what they said about when it'll open. It's a testimony to the volume of intermodal traffic they're anticipating because intermodal does not generate huge individual car profits so they need volume.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Passed by the facility yesterday, the terminal cranes are being assembled (there's a pair of very large cranes in the assembly area for lifting the big parts) but there's nothing in the "upright position" yet. With most of the ongoing work taking place "behind the berm" (the visual barrier along SR18) it's hard to see how much of the track work inside the yard is done, but the track work outside of the facility itself is largely complete. Driving the county roads along the north side of the facility, I could see that the fuel tanks for the locomotive facility are assembled (but not yet painted). The electrical substation for the yard is largely complete and a few of the power poles necessary for the line to tie into the rest of the AEP system are visible along their route. The portable concrete facility is still there which would lead me to believe that there's some pouring that remains to be done.

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the updates Michael

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

What road can you see this yard from?
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Liberty Hi Road on the east end of the facility and Range Line Rd. on the west end. You can't see hardly anything on Route 18 due to the big berm that runs the length of the facility.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Got a picture today showing that at least part of the crane's superstructure has beeb erected.