CSX Toledo Branch detectors

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

CSX Toledo Branch detectors

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

I was making my normal Wednesday night railfan rounds this past Wednesday and I was passing through North Baltimore and I heard something I haven't heard in a while. The detector north of Galatea actually said "Conrail North Trombley, OH..." It was up until recently a woman's voice. Was I hearing things or is it back to the way it was?
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: CSX Toledo Branch detectors

Unread post by redside20 »

I have heard the North Trombley detector in the past and had no idea they had changed it. The Arlington detector announced Conrail until only recently.
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Arlington has been changed to a newer detector and gives out a mile post location. N. Trombley was an annoying woman's voice up until recently. When she gave out defects, you couldn't understand what she said as far as axle count and side. Because of that Q219 one night had defects, couldn't understand where 'she' said they were, and had to temple stick (check for hot bearings using a temperature sensitive crayon) the entire train with an incredible delay to the train. 2 days later it was changed back to the old Conrail voice.

On the branch, Lime City (8) is still the old style detector, as is N. Trombley now. All the other detectors have either been retired, or replaced with new ones. Kenton's detector was retired, and two detectors installed on either side of town, one at 65, the other at 75.

Practice Safe CSX

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I think on the Lime City one they just truncated the message to omit the "Conrail" and left the rest of the message as is.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

There was an OCS trip a few years ago that 'did in' the detectors that still said "Conrail" before giving their message. Most, if not all, were immediately changed to omit the "Conrail" portion of the message. One except was a high car detector at "North Hunt", Indiana (just outside of Avon on the former PRR Crawfordsville Branch) which still proudly announced "CONRAIL" up until it was replaced this past year. I'd heard it was too old to be modified.

Practice Safe CSX