Lima Ohio Trains Per Day....

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Lima Ohio Trains Per Day....

Unread post by David Lang »

Going to Lima next Month. How many Trains per day? Where is a good place to go to watch? What I know at least 2 railroads run through there. Which ones and what are the frequencies? Thanks a lot!

Dave Lang

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: Lima Ohio Trains Per Day....

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

CSX I want to say about 30 or so a day, that is just off the top of my head Channel 08 & 12 . I&O, around 3 or 4 Channel 74. CF&E 3 or 4 Channel 64. WLE one a week uses CF&E radio. NS one a day Channel 76. RJ Corman 1 a day? maybe one every other or every third day, channel 23 & 85. If you search radio channels by using the search button there is a thread on channels in Michigan, that at the bottem Zack listed all 100 channels and what they convert to .
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

30 CSX trains per day!? :shock: :o :P Maybe years ago! I'd like to emphasize the "or so" :lol: 10-15 sounds better. :wink:

Scheduled trains are:
Q231
Q272
Q339
Q342
Q375
Q500
Q501
Q506
Q507
Q558
Q559

Also may see a Q200, grain train, K185 or other ore train.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Dont forget about yard jobs and two locals, plus grain has been running strong still. I still stand by my 20 at least.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

the I&O and CF&E numbers are high as well, I don't think the CF&E runs a train every day and the I&O runs what is essentially a local south and back and north and back.

Toledo Sub numbers are closer to 20 trains as opposed to 30.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Holy crap people. I am counting one direction as one back as another and also yard jobs, ect.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I am talking about what you could see in any one spot Matt.

The Toledo Sub is your only sure bet in that regard with about 20 trains including locals and yard jobs.

Anyone expecting the numbers you quoted will be SORELY dissapointed

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Ok maybe movement fits it better then trains.

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

matt
you said the WLE in lima???
explain please, i didn't know WLE came close to lima, is this a new thing,

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

WLE runs to Lima by trackage rights from Crestline across the Pennsy on an as needed basis. :D
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

WLE runs to Lima by trackage rights from Crestline across the Pennsy on an as needed basis.
I've read it's three turns per week but it sounds like from what other people have noted it's less than that.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

If you're bent on sitting in one location then the site of the former NS tower downtown will be the busiest. There one would see CSX, NS, CF&E, and Wheeling. There are a number of great photo spots around town and a properly equipped and educated railfan, that is, one with a scanner and employee timetables, should have no trouble finding something moving in or near town all day.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

If you know, let me know where you can get a I&O and CF&E TT.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

There are a number of great photo spots around town and a properly equipped and educated railfan, that is, one with a scanner and employee timetables, should have no trouble finding something moving in or near town all day.
Got the scanner. Where do I get the Timetables?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I got mine from former CF&E and Wheeling employees, however your mileage may vary. Don't forget that very little on this line has changed in twenty years; a Conrail or CSX timetable showing the CF&E would also work. The I&O is a little bit more tricky but between old, easy-to-obtain Grand Trunk Western timetables and the latest SPV railroad atlas enough information can be found to piece together the most important bits.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

If you're looking to catch CFE trains, CFE has two daily jobs on duty in Lima in the morning.

LIYD is on duty at 7am doing various yard work around LIMA.
LIPG is on duty at 9am and does switching east of town, mainly to P&G.
FWLI/LIFW whichever is the night road freight between Lima and Fort Wayne, usually called around 9pm at one of the terminals. It's not a definate which place the train originates out of, some nights they use a Lima crew some nights they use a fort wayne crew.
When things are busy, you may see a LICL during afternoon hours go towarsd Colsan, or a LIDL to go to Delphos to switch Bunge (or LIYD or LIPG will do it).

However, the CF&E uses these symbols to go where their operations people deem necessary. Today LIPG went all the way to Colsan (Bucyrus) to work transco, and when they got back to Lima they pulled a grain train out of town.

As for the wheeling trains, they were twice a week, over on Tuesday and back on Wednesday, over on Friday and back on Saturday. However, I haven't seen the trains run in the past two weeks, if not more. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just nothing sitting around to indicate they are. Last I knew, the train was making only a Friday to Lima trip, and back on Saturday.
The dispatcher is cool.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Trains per day versus movements per day are different of course...

You have the potential of seeing 15 to 20 movements of CSX trains per day. This is far lower then the 30 quoted, plus, this is within DAYLIGHT hours, as most of us do not stay 24 hours (that is per day if you will) at one location. Depending on what time you arrive, you'll have this set up, which is based on this past weeks "flow" if you will:

0600-0900 am
Q500 (NB)
Q339 (SB)
Q200 (SB as needed)
Q512 (NB as needed)

0900-1200 pm
D743 (NB Toledo Sub Local)
D744 (SB Toledo Sub Local)

1200-200 pm
Q507 (SB)
Q231 (SB)
Q558 (NB)
Q501 (SB)

200- 400 pm
Q375 (SB)
D743 (SB)
D744 (NB)
Q342 (NB)
K185 (NB or SB, as needed)

The other trains (Q506, 272, et.al.) are normally nocturnal as of late.

CSX yard jobs you have Y101/102/103 which go various places, including down to the yard at South Lima and to the CF&E over at Cole Street.

I would also say that while grain is moving, it's not a daily occurrence...

CF&E runs daily, and normally crosses the diamond at NS tower several times per day with traffic to the P&G plant ...GTWTD3 summarized that better then I could!

I&O traffic is down to around two/three trains per day in and out of Lima. Listen in for their movements.

W&LE has, if at best one train per WEEK now...they leave the CF&E (PRR) at Sugar Street to go to the I&O Ford Park Yard. I've seen them mid week, end of week, you name it. Hard to predict.

NS has a local per day, so count that in as well...times vary but recently he's been in mid morning.

A part of where you go depends on what you want to see. Lima is not that photogenic, though there are some great places if you do not mind waiting on things to unfold. You'll not have any issues if you park in the parking lot on the south side of NS Tower, this is public parking area...

Cole Street on the CF&E is accessible, but do not drive back into the yard.

South Lima has a bad rap as always, but you'll be fine, Erie Jct. is right off Market Street and can be photographed easily.

I&O Ford Park is right next to Sugar Street.

Lima PD will normally just wave as they drive by. They have a pretty good relationship with train watchers. BUT, do not trespass, this is a one way ticket of demise to those of us who have worked hard in Lima to give railfans a good name.

Radio Waves:

160.23- CSX RD
160.29- CSX "LA" Dispatcher
161.25- NS Lima District
161.22- I&O Dispatcher
160.80- CF&E

Listening is one of the best ways of getting ahead of the train traffic. All CSX trains communicate with the Lima YM and also frequently talk to LA dispatcher. CF&E has to call CSX to get the signal at NS Tower as does the NS Lima District Local.

I like railfanning Lima. Here is a collection of photos for your consideration:

http://cgtower.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... x?id=35394

CG Tower (who works in Lima every day)
Last edited by CG Tower on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Incorrect, you can not see the W&LE at NS Tower, it leaves the CF&E at Sugar Street to go to the I&O yard at Ford Park. Everything else is spot on.

CG Tower

railohio wrote:If you're bent on sitting in one location then the site of the former NS tower downtown will be the busiest. There one would see CSX, NS, CF&E, and Wheeling. There are a number of great photo spots around town and a properly equipped and educated railfan, that is, one with a scanner and employee timetables, should have no trouble finding something moving in or near town all day.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

Yeah, yeah im really late I hope Lima was good but 30 trains isnt realistic on the Toledo sub youd be lucky to get 25 there are about 15-20 trains a day (including the stone/coal/ore trains that run Tue-Sat and locals/yard jobs) you could possibly touch 22 trains if they run a couple as needed trains (grain, ore, or work) I have gotten lucky on the Toledo Sub and seen a handful of trains in a few hours but dont expect trains left and right 15-20 trains daily you can touch 25 but very unlikely

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Train counts might be a little different now compared to 2009.

Its nothing compared to the glory days of Lima. It was very busy with freight and passenger service.