More grain on the Miami Cut and a 62A

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

More grain on the Miami Cut and a 62A

Unread post by MDH »

On Tuesday, despite the weather I slipped out for lunch and saw a Homestead to Maumee yard job at Dearborn on the Toledo belt with two BNSF 70MAC's and a NS unit. That night I got a heads up that the 70MAC's were parked in Maumee and the following morning I saw them there on my way to some early morning meetings but it was overcast, etc. Later that day around 5 or so I had some time between work commitments and found them just North of Stanley tower (presumably having taking interchange grain from Maumee over to Walbridge). Due to the "rusty rail" rules it made for an easy chase and I got them at a couple crossings on their way back over the river. There were only small gaps of clear blue sky and I was in & out of rain but the sun came out at just the right time for two of the locations including curving down to the river:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=281132

The following morning (yesterday) my drive to work got hosed by a big accident at the 475/75 split so I got off and detoured. I heard on the scanner a 'file train' was going to be leaving the mega so I decided to go check it out on the way and sure enough it turned out to be a 62A. Figuring it'd be worth being an extra 5-10 min. late when I was already late I stuck around for this shot:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=281088

Editorial: I still have no sense of pattern on grain from Maumee to Walbridge but it seems like it's been happening fairly often recently (once or twice a week just based on ones I've caught). They're not too hard to catch if you know what to look/listen for. Also, these John Deere trains have been running once a week every Thursday through Toledo, generally in the morning (anywhere from 8 to noon) so I couldn't guarantee it but if you spent a Thursday morning around NS in Toledo there's a good chance you'd get to see one. They usually (but not always) tie down in the yard for a while for crew change/paperwork to continue East and often to let mail trains run around, etc.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: More grain on the Miami Cut and a 62A

Unread post by AARR »

Nice pics Michael. In the photo with the tractors is the building on the left with a spur running into it an active customer?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Don Simon wrote:Nice pics Michael. In the photo with the tractors is the building on the left with a spur running into it an active customer?
Looks like it has 2 different types of derails protecting it too...
~ Charles W.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Charles W wrote:
Don Simon wrote:Nice pics Michael. In the photo with the tractors is the building on the left with a spur running into it an active customer?
Looks like it has 2 different types of derails protecting it too...
I'm guessing that it's got the double protection because (despite the perspective) it's a downhill roll to track 2 of the Chicago main and they wouldn't want that. The "line it in the dirt" derail looks to be newer and in good shape so I'm guessing they may get at least periodic service of some sort? I don't know (or get over there enough to know) but I did see a truck use the upper left entrance while I was there...

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Yes Art Iron, or whatever the new name is once in a great while they get a car or two. The track actually goes all the way through the building.

BTW the BNSFs are back at Maumee tonight