Montpelier, OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Montpelier, OH

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Had the experience of driving by the NS yard at Montpelier, OH yesterday. This is on the old Wabash mainline in NW Ohio. NS bases at least one local job here, and this is also where the Indiana Northeastern does their interchange with the NS, coming a short mile east from their junction at Pergo. The yard is crossed by a high road bridge and otherwise is generally inaccessible for viewing. There are several rows of stored autoracks, which don't help matters.

My question is about the string of 8-10 old boxcars and troop cars on the south side of the yard at the west end, at the end of Maplehurst Street. Does anyone have any photos of these steam era cars? I think at least one or two are being used as a makeshift yard office, but maybe the others are used by C&S or the track dept? Anyone know the heritage of these car, or how long they've been here? Thanks!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Montpelier, OH

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I've got some pics of the cars before they got painted in the gray. I think my photos are slides (it was right about the time I transitioned to digital) Let me do some digging and see if I can find them.

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

The boxcars about which you ask in Montpelier were painted grey last spring during a massive Spruce-up campaign prior to a visit by the President of the NS on this line. None of the cars are former troop cars but a few of them are MW gang camp cars that were converted from old 40' boxcars. The unconverted boxcars are, indeed, used for storage of track materiels.

The letters that are cast in the sideframes of the trucks under said cars may belie their heritage. Several of them are lettered "WAB." Several others are lettered "N&W." I don't recall any of them bearing 'NKP" marks.

Sincerely,
Choad
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing your photos. When I drove by, it was hard to see them well, and of course you can't get up close to them. In my head, I was thinking camp cars, but troop cars came out of the keyboard. Anyhow, I'd be interested to see any photos whenever you find and post them :)

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I have lived in the area my whole life and in 29 years I cannot remember a time those cars weren't there.