Finally got a Belle in Toledo...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

Finally got a Belle in Toledo...

Unread post by MDH »

Beautiful weekend and I only got out for 1 hour out of the whole weekend, but it was a lucky hour. Caught NS M1M going through Toledo with a retro-Belle trailing: :D

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=253675

Also, my 3rd most popular picture on rp.net is now officially a gon load of scrap - yes, a gon load of scrap: :roll:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=253455

Since the "spectacularly beautiful" Toledo scenery doesn't generate high view counts and I don't get out of town a lot, I've found that my most popular shots are a yard scene, a broken robot and a load of scrap. Of course I have shots that I find much more appealing, but I just thought it was kind of funny. :wink:

Regards,
Michael

Ft Wayne Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ft Wayne Railfan »

It's neat seeing the exact same train photographed by someone else many miles away and seeing it online later. Here's my version of it passing through Butler, IN about 6:30pm near MP359.

BTW Michael, I've seen many of your posts over on TO. I'll be moving to Wauseon next spring sometime, hopefully I'll run into you sometime when I'm over that direction.

-Greg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Also, my 3rd most popular picture on rp.net is now officially a gon load of scrap - yes, a gon load of scrap:
It is a very nice picture, MDH :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Don Simon wrote:
Also, my 3rd most popular picture on rp.net is now officially a gon load of scrap - yes, a gon load of scrap:
It is a very nice picture, MDH :lol:
Thanks for the compliment. I actually do like the shot - the light was just about right for that angle. :wink: BT11 had a Dash 9W & GP38-2 leading the half dozen loads of scrap - 1 gon of broken rail, 2 with nothing but wheels and then three gons of car parts (this was the first one of those if I'm remembering correctly). I got nice shots of the head end going by with great light on the sides but the nose in shadow (shot killer for rp.net - didn't even bother trying). When I saw what was in the gons I took shots of all of them and found this one to be the best lit/most appealing to 'tell the story'.

When I uploaded Sat. morning I was thinking "if they take it, it might be one of the top shots of the day" due to the "click to see what's in there" aspect. As it turned out, it was the second most viewed shot on Sat. behind a snowbank & top of a tunnel portal and ahead of a shot of a severly rusted rail in Africa - of the three, the only one that even showed part of a train! :lol:

Greg - I'll probably run into you sooner or later around here, but when you get over this way next spring let me know and we can meet up somewhere. Great shot of the M1M also!

Thanks,
Michael

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

That's a pretty cool shot, Michael. I think that was a well photographed train, as Greg's shot is quite similar to my own, and there were at least five other railfans where I shot it at. I'm glad to see someone successfully submitted a shot to railpictures, but it also makes me wonder how many shots of that train were submitted to that site altogether...?
~ Charles W.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Charles W wrote:That's a pretty cool shot, Michael. I think that was a well photographed train, as Greg's shot is quite similar to my own, and there were at least five other railfans where I shot it at. I'm glad to see someone successfully submitted a shot to railpictures, but it also makes me wonder how many shots of that train were submitted to that site altogether...?
Interesting question - I just checked 'what's on there' and I have the only shot of a train ID'd as M1M. For that matter, of the 5 shots with 11M referrenced anywhere three of them are mine (and this was the only one where you could clearly see the power! - the other two were 'going aways'). I think it's typically a morning Westbound which would explain the general lack of pictures. Greg's shot is easily rp.net quality except for the sensor dust spot (which could be photoshopped out) and other similar shots could make it. I uploaded mine fairly quick so I may just be the 'first'. If anyone's uploaded shots with that good of sun & angle and had them rejected it was probably due to correctable processing issues (assuming the original is reasonably good - i.e. not blurry, etc.)

Regards,
Michael

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ft Wayne Railfan wrote:It's neat seeing the exact same train photographed by someone else many miles away and seeing it online later. Here's my version of it passing through Butler, IN about 6:30pm near MP359.
Nice lighting on that shot, Greg. You might want to clean that sensor, though. :wink:

Ft Wayne Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ft Wayne Railfan »

Dang dust :roll:

And when I look at it again I notice the shadow of the telephone poll across the tracks right in front of the engine, that kind of bugs me too.

I've never tried posting to RP.net. I mostly use my photo's for reference photos on my site.

Thanks for the comments guys, and you can bet I'll be cleaning that sensor before I go out again.

-Greg