Heading to Columbus looking for some good photo spots

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Heading to Columbus looking for some good photo spots

Unread post by pfs »

First off thanks to anyone in advance.

Have some business in CHM, I may have some daylight Monday or Tuesday to shoot.

I am not looking for the typical engine shots. I am looking for opportunity to shoot rolling stock, slow or sitting preferred.

Any help appreciated.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

MI to Columbus, OH? Well, I just made a round trip from Toledo on business with several stops along the way. I'll pass on the "mainline" spots since you indicated roster shots of freight equipment. One you may not have considered is Carey, OH (just North of 23). You can get fairly close to the National Lime & Stone Co. yards and W&LE yards there where you could get some different shots. (mostly hoppers & covered hoppers) NS sometimes parks (storage?) cars parallel to 23 North of Marion on a spur there. There's a couple spots in Toledo with some potential depending how far afield you are willing to venture. Walbridge and Stanley yards (Wales Rd exit & East) are the obvious ones.

Just a few thoughts - I can elaborate on any of this if you'd like...

Regards,
Michael

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

Michael

Thanks....Carey was on my radar after looking at online maps, but I will now stop on the way back. I planned on looking around Marion as well.

In toledo I was thinking of poking around the industral trackage around here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl= ... 76904&z=14

I will try my luck tonight at some yards in columbus proper, depends on how much daylight I get after working.

Any info you think I need/missing is greatly appreicated.

Thanks again!

-paul

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

pfs wrote:Michael

Thanks....Carey was on my radar after looking at online maps, but I will now stop on the way back. I planned on looking around Marion as well.

In toledo I was thinking of poking around the industral trackage around here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl= ... 76904&z=14

-paul
For Carey,

This last week, construction had the main rt 103 exit worthless due to road closure and work downtown. However, the next exit East (CR 97 becoming Patterson St.) takes you right up into town and past the construction. Going straight up N Patterson takes you over the C&O Fostoria-Columbus main and along one side of the quarry where I caught a critter moving some cars. Back down to rt. 103 heading East you can find a road a little past the C&O crossing that veers off to the Left (NE) and then another left (you can see the quarry/yards on the Left) up to the W&LE yard office which is where I got this shot:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=252650

From there, reverse route back to 103 and then take 199 South to the small town of Crawford where you make a right turn on township hwy 103 and a short distance (crossing the C&O again) back to 23 South.

What you were looking at in Toledo is the Ampoint facility which you'll find to be a complete waste of time. Nothing in there is rail served any more with the old connections to the terminal completely severed. Some profitable time would be getting off at Wales Rd to drive by the yards, but note that E. Broadway is currently closed at the Toledo Terminal (CSX) crossing so you can't take it down to Stanley and Walbridge yards. You'd have to either go right on Tracy and left on Walbridge road (likely to get stuck by a robot working the North end of Stanley) or go over towards Vickers and then down to the yards, but from either yard you could drop down to 795 to get back onto 75 South. (check a map)

As a general note, I usually use maps.live.com for my road/imagery searching needs since the maps/imagery tends to be more current although you always have to be careful relying on that stuff. Also, if so inclined, flip your scanner on as you pass BG knowing that it's really quick & easy to hop off at Galatea for CSX Chicago line action at the diamond there (like this shot) if you hear something coming:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=252623

Likewise, you can get the NS Ft. Wayne line a little further South.

(I just realized I described what I did on the way down and you'd be going the opposite direction for all this if you hit it on the way back)

Good luck,
Michael

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

hello i can chime in on a few spots. the area in downtown columbus where the tracks go under nationwide plaza and across the bridge over Long/Spring Sts, North Bank Park and the Scioto River. Phillipi Road in West Columbus, Hague Avenue and Fisher Road over Buckeye Yard
Exit stage left

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

I wanted to hit Fisher Road/Buckeye Yard last night but was at a client site untill almost 9pm. Hopefully the weather will hold out here I should have a few hours after the customer event to poke around town.

Thanks for all the info, as I will be back here in a month or so and will plan the attack in advance.

thanks

-paul