IORY North End

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY North End

Unread post by CG Tower »

Yes, that's The Sheriff. Don't take it personally...he won simply on the fact that our old Sheriff's former wife got into some legal issues, this new guy won simply on that fact...more to that story of course.

Knock on wood, never had an issue with our local folks...most of the time they are approachable and pretty cool...with the closeness to 9/11 and this whole mess in the Mid East...my guess is they are hyperactive to begin with.

CG

alittlevanwerty wrote:
CG Tower wrote:Where exactly were you? If you were near the jail then that's an issue (kinda like the tank plant in Lima). Did you get his name and badge number?

CG Tower
I was standing on the east side of the crossing at Road M where the Ottawa loop parallels the T Sub. I didn't get a badge or name and he wasn't wearing one either. He was wearing a sweater/vest that identified him as Putnam County. I am 95% certain he is THE Sheriff, the elected official. At least his picture looks a lot like the guy on their FB page. Heavy set, mid to late 40s, salt and pepper with more pepper. Stinks like ciggs. Drives a jet black suburban that is about 5-7 years old. Even when I got talked to by the MPs at the tank plant (filming Rj Corman) they were respectful and courteous. This guy talked to me like I was dirt.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

VW, I dont want to start a big "bad experience with cops" thread, but I am curious. Maybe you could give a little more info, if thats OK with you? If you'd just prefer to drop the subject thats fine too. For the most part, if you are legally in a place, you can film/photograph anything you can see. There are only a couple exceptions I can think of, and none are railroad related. Now, obviously, we don't know each other personally, but at least from your posts here you seem like a decent, well-mannered young guy who is an enthusiastic railfan, probably not the type who would start off an encounter with the police by acting rude or disrespectful. And assuming you did not set the tone in a negative way, there is no reason for an officer to be rude or inappropriate with you. Did the Sheriff give any reasoning for telling you not to film? Was there something sensitive in the area of your shots, like a government building? Did he threaten to arrest you, and, if so, for what crime? Did you record any of the encounter? Did you pack up and leave?
My usual advice is to make a complaint to the agency involved if you feel you were mistreated. Actually, most agencies take citizen complaints pretty seriously. In this case, since this is THE Sheriff, it may not get you very far, but you might at least get a better explanation. If you feel strongly about it, you might try making the complaint to the county board of commisioners (or what ever they are called in Ohio) or even the local news media.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

bctrainfan wrote:VW, I dont want to start a big "bad experience with cops" thread, but I am curious. Maybe you could give a little more info, if thats OK with you? If you'd just prefer to drop the subject thats fine too. For the most part, if you are legally in a place, you can film/photograph anything you can see. There are only a couple exceptions I can think of, and none are railroad related. Now, obviously, we don't know each other personally, but at least from your posts here you seem like a decent, well-mannered young guy who is an enthusiastic railfan, probably not the type who would start off an encounter with the police by acting rude or disrespectful. And assuming you did not set the tone in a negative way, there is no reason for an officer to be rude or inappropriate with you. Did the Sheriff give any reasoning for telling you not to film? Was there something sensitive in the area of your shots, like a government building? Did he threaten to arrest you, and, if so, for what crime? Did you record any of the encounter? Did you pack up and leave?
My usual advice is to make a complaint to the agency involved if you feel you were mistreated. Actually, most agencies take citizen complaints pretty seriously. In this case, since this is THE Sheriff, it may not get you very far, but you might at least get a better explanation. If you feel strongly about it, you might try making the complaint to the county board of commisioners (or what ever they are called in Ohio) or even the local news media.
I'm pretty sure I started out the conversation in a mannerly way. I thought I was speaking to a private citizen at first. He questioned what I was doing to which I replied "taping a train" . He stated no your not. Thinking I was speaking to someone who was joking with me I stated yes I am. At no point before he got out of his truck did he state he was law enforcement or anybody else. Had he said at the beginning " hi I'm officer a&&hole and I need to ask you what your doing" I would have first turned on the camera and then replied. I've recorded all my other encounters with cops and never had a reason to publish it as they treated me like I should have been. Suppose that's why their professionals and not an elected official. When he got out his truck was the only time I was informed he was a sheriff and only by the logo on his sweater. Also when he stated I was trespassing on RR property I looked down and pointed out that I was standing on the road plus 2 legs of my tripod were on the chip and 1 on the berm, well away from the gates.

Road M is outside of town, the crossing is right next to the intersection with Rt65. Farms to the east, west and south. Town to the north. I don't know of anything in the area that would be considered sensitive. I did pack up and leave after I decided it was not best to continue arguing with him. I did drive around the block 20 times waiting for the I&O to finish switching but missed them come off the loop because I filmed the Q042 further south of town. I figured I had time to get back before they came out of the loop but they were already clearing Rd M when I made it there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Here is the alleged video taken after the alleged encounter.
I like the view with the elevator in the background
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Nice job. Shake off the experience and just keep doing what you're doing. Looked like a half to third of he cars were for south of Lima. Saw a good cut of NOKL hoppers with I presume wheat for the Logan Sub. Not often the I&O gets up to 50 mph south of Lima.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

OC 4028 has been working in Springfield past couple of days. OC 4030 needs speedometer repaired so it can lead. Both might end up making a trip to Lima soon. Helm has two six axles heading to Cincy. Will be for grain season.

More gons were added to the pig iron fleet. Mostly former SP with a few C&NW thrown in. I&O also leased 70 DJJX cov hoppers for grain service. Mostly former C&NW cars.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

IORY 4072/ OC 4030 tied down without crew in Hamler. IORY 9400 got track warrant from mp 77 to mp 94. Looks to be a fun day in Hamler :D

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

The southbound LNL, which had sat in the Ottawa Loop for two days, went south this morning. Into Lima at around 6:20am with OHCR 4030 and IORY 4072 for power and a monster train. Both engines, running LHF, were giving absolutely everything they had getting the train, which was probably 70+ cars, into town. Train consisted of mainly a mix of covered hoppers and coiled steel, with some boxcars and loaded center beams mixed in and mty pig iron gons on the rear.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I posted this in the G&W power thread but it belongs here too! Conductor on the north end not freindly.
FYI don't do a rolling stop in Henry County the ticket is 160 bucks!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:I posted this in the G&W power thread but it belongs here too! Conductor on the north end not friendly.
Where are the locations of this video? Why do you say the conductor is not friendly?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

G&W is a lot more strict on safety violations then RA by a long stretch. Couple of crews got time off for violations. A TM and a crew member were let go recently in the Lima area. Sort of gets to the point where the guys just want to do their jobs without being photographed or recorded. It's nothing personal against you. Most of us aren't in a working environment that just anyone can watch our every move, so please understand it gets old real quick for some guys when they are just trying to make a living like the rest of us.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Sort of gets to the point where the guys just want to do their jobs without being photographed or recorded.
That's understandable. I wouldn't want to be followed around having my picture taken either. But I do enjoy the video's vanwerty is getting by irritating the train crews :wink:

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I do try to keep crews out of the video unless I know they do not mind. I'm just saying staring without waving is infreindly.

The locations I used were Hamler on rt 18 and then just north of town, Malinta and last overpass before crossing the NS in Delta.

How long has Malinta been. A car graveyard and what were yard operations here in the past?

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

alittlevanwerty wrote:I do try to keep crews out of the video unless I know they do not mind. I'm just saying staring without waving is infreindly.

The locations I used were Hamler on rt 18 and then just north of town, Malinta and last overpass before crossing the NS in Delta.

How long has Malinta been. A car graveyard and what were yard operations here in the past?

Ever since the I&O days Malinta has been a car graveyard. During the orange era of the DT&I Malinta yard was a very busy place with just about all the road trains stopping there except for the Detroit Cincinnati trains.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I&O coming north at XN right now with the 4070 leading a daylight LNL. Not sure what will lead south once they get done at Delta.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

4070/4083/4072 is the power. 4072 will lead south. Correct engine right there.
Bottom text.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Keep the turds north....

Y@ wrote:4070/4083/4072 is the power. 4072 will lead south. Correct engine right there.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Not everyone is friendly (or is paid to be friendly) so just ignore them.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Two of the shots from the evening chase south.

Over the Maumee by Wang Halen, on Flickr

Smokey EMD Sunset by Wang Halen, on Flickr
Bottom text.