Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
lvrr325
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by lvrr325 »

Passed obvious signs of work (ballast dump truck on the main) on July 26th somewhere west of Defiance coming back on US 24.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Any updates on operations or repairs?

Thanks.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Initially there was a lot of work that was done (ties and some rail replacement) I believe work continues in spots but the work has slowed.
I caught a 2 car train "pounding" the diamond yesterday and tank car and a hopper car headed west. I don't catch derailments like I used
to so things have improved...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Evidence of track work forthcoming at the elevator switch in Liberty Center today, and a crew working today at the I&O crossing, possibly reinstalling the diamond.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's 64 pages to this thread so it would take a long time to find this answer. Does the elevator in LC truck to another site for loading into rail cars?
MSchwiebert wrote:Evidence of track work forthcoming at the elevator switch in Liberty Center today, and a crew working today at the I&O crossing, possibly reinstalling the diamond.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, they can do 90 car trains at Hamler and have direct CSX access.
AARR wrote:There's 64 pages to this thread so it would take a long time to find this answer. Does the elevator in LC truck to another site for loading into rail cars?
MSchwiebert wrote:Evidence of track work forthcoming at the elevator switch in Liberty Center today, and a crew working today at the I&O crossing, possibly reinstalling the diamond.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, MSchwiebert. So is it likely that the work at the LC elevator is so they can resume rail service?
MSchwiebert wrote:Yes, they can do 90 car trains at Hamler and have direct CSX access.
AARR wrote:There's 64 pages to this thread so it would take a long time to find this answer. Does the elevator in LC truck to another site for loading into rail cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I am also very interested to hear if they're reactivating the line past the I&O diamond.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

No grain loading at Liberty Center as it would cost them more than trucking it to Hamler. Someone is interested in unloading stone at Liberty Center using the grain elevator siding.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Will the crossing need to be rebuilt at 109? It must be a decent stone unloading for the diamond and track maintenance.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I didn't see any evidence of work east of route 109. With the elevator not using the track at all, I'd think that 10-15 car cuts could easily be accommodated using the two tracks that exist currently west of route 109.

bluestreak81 wrote:Will the crossing need to be rebuilt at 109? It must be a decent stone unloading for the diamond and track maintenance.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Could Diamond Plastics ever come back online? It looks like they were an active customer in the 90s according to Google historical views.
Attachments
Diamond Plastics in Liberty Center - 1995
Diamond Plastics in Liberty Center - 1995

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Not real sure if this company is still in business.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MSchwiebert wrote:I didn't see any evidence of work east of route 109. With the elevator not using the track at all, I'd think that 10-15 car cuts could easily be accommodated using the two tracks that exist currently west of route 109.

bluestreak81 wrote:Will the crossing need to be rebuilt at 109? It must be a decent stone unloading for the diamond and track maintenance.
Not trying to be funny, but is stone traffic going to really strain that marginal track? I know they are upgrading, but seems like it would require much more work on the track to keep those loads on the rails?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

For what it's worth, the plastic plant is still in business and a Pioneer crew was putting new crossbucks up at the first crossing west of the plastics plant (east of the 109 crossing) today.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Where would this inbound be coming from? Cecil quarry?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Any quarry in North America with rail service.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Looking at Google Street View, the 109 crossing looks pretty darn nice- Nice pavement and flangeways anyway. Last updated in 2013- did they pull it since?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man wrote: Looking at Google Street View, the 109 crossing looks pretty darn nice- Nice pavement and flangeways anyway. Last updated in 2013- did they pull it since?
TC Man: This was the response I received last November when I had asked about the 109 crossing in Liberty Center.
Y@ wrote:I'll paint you a picture.

The rails are paved over, the crossing signals are removed, and trains don't go there anymore.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

That's half right. The rails are not paved over - but the flashers are long gone. With the other crossings in town getting new crossbucks (some also with stop signs), I don't know what the intent is. I'm not sure if a crossing that had lights can be "regressed" to just a crossbucks without getting the proper "regulators" (PUCO and their ilk) involved.