NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby midland sub » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am

The wind has been slowly working the bags off all the signals. The ones down at Valley off Red Bank came off several months ago. Same with the ones over off Highland on the wye at Oakley. I assume the wind finally got to the one at Newtown on the CCET- though I can think of a foamer or two that would have intentionally removed it for their photo needs...

NS hasn't changed their minds for a minute about the east end of the Peavine. There's some in Atlanta that would love for the CCET to give up so the line can be fully abandoned. What NS is doing again is a complete study of the entire system segment by segment on what possibly can be sold or abandoned. Started in the south and are slowly going north. So is the east end going to be abandoned anytime soon..., probably not but just the same it's not going to reopen for any reason either. There's a few things cooking that if and when they come together should be good for the CCET, but that mostly lays on the feet of NS on what happens.

The Mt Orab rumored customer decided to go to Columbus area for the distribution center they plan on building.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby northstar16 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Heypal and I were worried that you were hit by a I&O train in Loveland. Good to see your back posting and giving us formers a hard time. Heypal has a buddy who works for NS in Atlanta gets some inside scoop every now and then. The Peavine is not on NS sites as they have given up on the rail and the CCET is keeping it alive for the most part. I have been reading NS is really working on their customers to improve service, cutting down on wait times, helping customers track their goods better. These are all positive signs NS has showed in the last year. Yet Bellevue Ohio yard still has long wait times getting traffic off the main and there just isn't a solution to move traffic as the yard is so busy and there is no place to go. So they sit on the main.

I agree for a change with you Midland the CCET does well with the Ag and a few of their other customers including storage which has been their bread and butter for a few years. Even seen then hold some hoppers in recent weeks but NS took them back last week. The CCET has been fixing up parts of the line that needs some work and for the most part the rails are in good shape. I talk to the engineers down at Clare three times a week. They eat lunch over at McDonalds or I see them when I walk the dog. NS keeps a engine down at Clare most of the time now and has put up some more lighting in the yard as they have had some issues with kids in the fall.

The pot farm in Mt. Orab is not going to use the Peavine. That has been established already. The NS guys said they have heard that a developer is looking at property on the Peavine and made build there. The company that is thinking about building up there may use the line one or two times a week yet this project if it happens won't be build until 2019. They are currently working with the country and the owner of the property.

That is all I know for now!
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby kwh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:58 am

I swear there is no more room up here in Columbus for Distribution centers! The Rickenbacher area is packed every possible open plot of land has been or is being built up with new DC's absolutely incredible! NS is going to be adding more track capacity at their intermodel terminal.


midland sub wrote:The wind has been slowly working the bags off all the signals. The ones down at Valley off Red Bank came off several months ago. Same with the ones over off Highland on the wye at Oakley. I assume the wind finally got to the one at Newtown on the CCET- though I can think of a foamer or two that would have intentionally removed it for their photo needs...

NS hasn't changed their minds for a minute about the east end of the Peavine. There's some in Atlanta that would love for the CCET to give up so the line can be fully abandoned. What NS is doing again is a complete study of the entire system segment by segment on what possibly can be sold or abandoned. Started in the south and are slowly going north. So is the east end going to be abandoned anytime soon..., probably not but just the same it's not going to reopen for any reason either. There's a few things cooking that if and when they come together should be good for the CCET, but that mostly lays on the feet of NS on what happens.

The Mt Orab rumored customer decided to go to Columbus area for the distribution center they plan on building.
kwh
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby jallenp7 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:21 am

Perhaps that is why the keep their part of Buckeye, always convert it into a intermodal yard, BTW UPS is doing a huge expansion on the West Side of Columbus.

also Keeps CSX from expanding their facility at Buckeye
jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby TC Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am

northstar16 wrote:Heypal and I were worried that you were hit by a I&O train in Loveland. Good to see your back posting and giving us formers a hard time. Heypal has a buddy who works for NS in Atlanta gets some inside scoop every now and then. The Peavine is not on NS sites as they have given up on the rail and the CCET is keeping it alive for the most part. I have been reading NS is really working on their customers to improve service, cutting down on wait times, helping customers track their goods better. These are all positive signs NS has showed in the last year. Yet Bellevue Ohio yard still has long wait times getting traffic off the main and there just isn't a solution to move traffic as the yard is so busy and there is no place to go. So they sit on the main.

I agree for a change with you Midland the CCET does well with the Ag and a few of their other customers including storage which has been their bread and butter for a few years. Even seen then hold some hoppers in recent weeks but NS took them back last week. The CCET has been fixing up parts of the line that needs some work and for the most part the rails are in good shape. I talk to the engineers down at Clare three times a week. They eat lunch over at McDonalds or I see them when I walk the dog. NS keeps a engine down at Clare most of the time now and has put up some more lighting in the yard as they have had some issues with kids in the fall.

The pot farm in Mt. Orab is not going to use the Peavine. That has been established already. The NS guys said they have heard that a developer is looking at property on the Peavine and made build there. The company that is thinking about building up there may use the line one or two times a week yet this project if it happens won't be build until 2019. They are currently working with the country and the owner of the property.

That is all I know for now!


What is "the Ag"? Is this the proper name of a company "The Ag"? or do you mean to use "ag" as an abbreviation for "agricultural" as in an "agricultural company" (no capital "A" on the "ag"?)? Just trying to understand your posts as far as what "the Ag" refers to. Thanks!
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 am

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby heypal6878 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am

Northstar is talking about the Ag Services in Winchester Oho grain and bean company. You can look it up. They use the CCET to transport grain to Cincinnati.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby TC Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:37 am

heypal6878 wrote:Northstar is talking about the Ag Services in Winchester Oho grain and bean company. You can look it up. They use the CCET to transport grain to Cincinnati.


Ah, so it's official name is "Ag Services", gotcha! I did Google "the Ag", and Ag, but you can imagine how many thousand things came up. I was confused by the word "the" in front of "Ag", but then I'm big on grammar. So that's their only shipper on the entire line? I understand there is car storage as well, I just don't count that as shipping/receiving anything. Thanks for the clarification!
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 am

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby northstar16 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 pm

That is correct Ag is a company out in Winchester a grain and bean company that ships on the Peavine. Keeps them pretty busy in the summer months. There is a paper plant in Batavia that is suppose to expand here in 2019 that gets the CCET some business and they just picked up another company that gives them a few cars of scrap out east. Then there is a gravel pit that may give them some business as well. At one time NS has several customers on the line but NS wanted to ditch the line so they didn't service their customers very well. Some companies moved, others went out of business, while others started to used trucking. The CCET has done a pretty darn good job of keeping the customers that have happy and trying to get some business that hasn't dried up back on line. It would be nice if they can land one big company out east if one can develop out that way.

Tankers storage is a major part of their revenue.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby northstar16 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Midland Sub is always talking about the Peavine and the formers. Granted the guys here who like the Peavine and don't want to see it die anytime soon would like to see more traffic but don't think that will ever happened anytime here soon.

So this is for Midland as he so much enjoys using the word "formers"

https://youtu.be/9cLZ_JEfB14

So enjoy the link
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby Paw95 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:53 pm

I helped a man take down an old peavine signal in Peebles the other day. It was the one that was at the Peebles depot. Really old one. Was in a mans yard and I took the top off.
Paw95
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby heypal6878 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 am

Northstar now that is a former! I'm sure Mark is going to say something about this in regards to the Peavine. I thought I saw a guy the other day waving at a I&O doing the same thing, a dance and flip, singing it may have been Midland Sub?
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby h2466 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm

heypal6878 wrote:Northstar now that is a former! I'm sure Mark is going to say something about this in regards to the Peavine. I thought I saw a guy the other day waving at a I&O doing the same thing, a dance and flip, singing it may have been Midland Sub?

Former?? Can't wait to hear the definition of this.
h2466
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:57 pm
Location: Willshire Oh.

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby TC Man » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am

h2466 wrote:
heypal6878 wrote:Northstar now that is a former! I'm sure Mark is going to say something about this in regards to the Peavine. I thought I saw a guy the other day waving at a I&O doing the same thing, a dance and flip, singing it may have been Midland Sub?

Former?? Can't wait to hear the definition of this.


Do you guys mean "foamer"? Commonly use to describe over-excited railfans foaming at the mouth when a choo-choo goes by?

"Former" means "past", which would not make sense.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 am

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby midland sub » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 am

Former is a hybrid of foamer. Former just won't let go of the past and still sees some sort of hopeless dream that their favorite rail line will return to a glory it never had. The Peavine and the former B&O Ohio Division are both prime examples of both. You try and explain 15 to 20 times why things happened and what currently is going on from the people that actually know yet the formers like to tell you differently. It's whatever to the rest of us other than funny when what we said 4 years ago finally sinks in for the formers as they start repeating what we told them 4 years ago.



h2466 wrote:
heypal6878 wrote:Northstar now that is a former! I'm sure Mark is going to say something about this in regards to the Peavine. I thought I saw a guy the other day waving at a I&O doing the same thing, a dance and flip, singing it may have been Midland Sub?

Former?? Can't wait to hear the definition of this.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby midland sub » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 am

Winchester only ships corn. NS has zero interest in giving them unit train prices for anything so the corn goes out in per car rates a few cars at a time using the DJJX grain cars that are stored on the line. Soybeans are sold and shipped out in containers. Winchester wanted to ship soybeans in a few unit trains but NS said no.

Your Mt Orab development wasn't the medical marijuana company. It was a retail lumber company company that wanted to eventually grow it from a distribution center to an additional truss plant. Mt Orab too far from their their retail markets so it's dead in the water. Should be announcement soon about them building it on the westside of Columbus. The real potential traffic won't be Mt Orab or Plum Run if and when it happens.



northstar16 wrote:That is correct Ag is a company out in Winchester a grain and bean company that ships on the Peavine. Keeps them pretty busy in the summer months. There is a paper plant in Batavia that is suppose to expand here in 2019 that gets the CCET some business and they just picked up another company that gives them a few cars of scrap out east. Then there is a gravel pit that may give them some business as well. At one time NS has several customers on the line but NS wanted to ditch the line so they didn't service their customers very well. Some companies moved, others went out of business, while others started to used trucking. The CCET has done a pretty darn good job of keeping the customers that have happy and trying to get some business that hasn't dried up back on line. It would be nice if they can land one big company out east if one can develop out that way.

Tankers storage is a major part of their revenue.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby h2466 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks for the explanation Midland Sub. I've been a railfan for 50 years now and find these new term's kinda amusing. I did get a chuckle out of the marijuana company shipping by rail also, lol. That would have been a 1st!!
h2466
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:57 pm
Location: Willshire Oh.

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby kwh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm

HAHA!

midland sub wrote:Former is a hybrid of foamer. Former just won't let go of the past and still sees some sort of hopeless dream that their favorite rail line will return to a glory it never had. The Peavine and the former B&O Ohio Division are both prime examples of both. You try and explain 15 to 20 times why things happened and what currently is going on from the people that actually know yet the formers like to tell you differently. It's whatever to the rest of us other than funny when what we said 4 years ago finally sinks in for the formers as they start repeating what we told them 4 years ago.



h2466 wrote:
heypal6878 wrote:Northstar now that is a former! I'm sure Mark is going to say something about this in regards to the Peavine. I thought I saw a guy the other day waving at a I&O doing the same thing, a dance and flip, singing it may have been Midland Sub?

Former?? Can't wait to hear the definition of this.
kwh
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby redcrumbox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 am

midland sub wrote:Former is a hybrid of foamer. Former just won't let go of the past and still sees some sort of hopeless dream that their favorite rail line will return to a glory it never had. The Peavine and the former B&O Ohio Division are both prime examples of both. You try and explain 15 to 20 times why things happened and what currently is going on from the people that actually know yet the formers like to tell you differently. It's whatever to the rest of us other than funny when what we said 4 years ago finally sinks in for the formers as they start repeating what we told them 4 years ago.


Priceless.
redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby Muleskinner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Come on people. All Rail lines will have "formers" on them eventually. Look at what has happened in the past 40 to 50 years. Thousands of rail lines abandoned and its only going to get worse.
Tax's, trucking, interstate highways, and airlines are killing the railroads slowly. Another ten to twenty years we will see even more rail lines abandoned. Some that you would never think would be.
User avatar
Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread postby northstar16 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm glad you guys got a jolly out of the misspell yet Heypal might be right about Midland Sub. I don't know the guy only the stuff that he writes about the Peavine and how he loves to put the rail down over the years. The I&O former B&O was a lively rail line years ago. When the B&O went out of business the I&O took over the rail a few years later. For them it has been a successful business venture as they have added more business on the line that last few years. Anytime a rail company adds business us Railfans should be happy and not knock each other as I think we are ALL on the same page to support railroads, small or large.

The Peavine is a small operation mostly surviving on storage with a little grain operation to help out. Not much business on that line to support a railroad. Thankfully they did contract with a company to store cars and tankers. This keeps the rail active and NS continues to transload for the CCET.

The I&O is a much larger operation than the CCET and will always be a big operation. Let's try to support each other instead of putting down railroad operations.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

x