New connection near Vermilion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

New connection near Vermilion

Unread postby Bellevue_Guy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Saw a thread on TO about a new connection that's being built by NS between the Chicago Line and the NKP west of the existing connection near Vermilion. However, the OP made things confusing by stating that EB Chicago Line traffic would have access to the WB NKP (suggesting a 180 degree turn), but then also said that WB traffic on the NKP would have access to the Chicago Line......and those two moves are not compatible for one connection. So I'm assuming that he meant to say eastbound traffic on the NKP would have access to the (westbound) Chicago Line

So if it is the 180 degree loop connection, that would give EB traffic on the Chicago Line a third option for getting to Bellevue, and finally one that comes in from the direction the yard is best laid out for.

Anyone know more about this?
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New connection near Vermilion

Unread postby bdconrail29 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:58 pm

The only connection that would make any sense at all to me would be WB NKP to WB Chicago Line. However, I have seen plenty of moves over the years where a train went WB on the NKP west of GC and then went back east up the connection on the Chicago Line back to CP 216. So I don't know.
Brett
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Grumpy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Not real sure what you mean by WB NKP. In the case of the NKP, WB and EB are the
same track. It is, and was a single track railroad.

Now the Chicago Line Main, or ex NYC, we have Trk 1 and Trk 2.

The NKP connection to the Chicago line splits to the north just east of Coen Rd west of Vermilion.
It connects to the the Chicago line Trk 2 or EB NYC.

If a WB Chicago line train is to take the NKP to Bellvue, It must be WB on the Trk 2 Chicago line.

This connection is quite visible on BING Maps. It is just west of Vermilion and east of Coen Rd. The distance
between The NYC and NKP at this point is very close.

If you go to the location on Coen Rd, the turnout on the NKP is but 50 ft or so east of Coen Rd.
Haveing been to the location several times, all I've seen is traffic on the Chicago Line.
No luck catching any traffic on the NKP or the connection.

-AL
Grumpy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby bdconrail29 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:46 am

No I think you misunderstood. We're familiar with the existing layout at Vermilion. When we say WB NKP we mean going westbound on the NKP. To describe a connection you have to also mention direction. So for example WB NKP to WB Chicago Line simply means the connection is oriented such that a westbound on the NKP can go through the connection to go WB on the Chicago Line. Right now it is EB NKP to EB Chicago Line or WB Chicago Line to WB NKP depending on direction.
Brett
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Bellevue_Guy » Fri May 13, 2016 7:35 pm

bdconrail29 wrote:The only connection that would make any sense at all to me would be WB NKP to WB Chicago Line.

After driving by there today and seeing what the construction looks like so far, it looks like this is what they are doing. Dirt has been moved immediately east of the Risden Rd/NYC crossing and there's a line of stakes that angles off from there to the southeast across the field. As for the NKP side, no signs of construction are visible when looking east from from the Risden Rd crossing, while over at the Coen Rd crossing if you look west there's a bunch of little orange survey flags down the north side of the ROW and also big bundle of ties visible a couple hundred yards or so down the line.

So this connection will be a mirror image to the existing one, essentially creating a large pair of crossovers between the two parallel lines.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby justin_gram » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:04 am

According to this video it looks like this new connector track is mostly in place, just not yet connected to the Chicago Line or NKP. You can see that this new crossing signal was moved farther from the tracks, giving room for the connection.

https://youtu.be/oZLPLzfxEDU

So it looks like the connection goes southeast from the Chicago Line at this point: https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2 ... -82.406483

BTW, this thread could probably be merged with this one: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34616
justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread postby bluestreak81 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Does this mean more traffic may be traveling on the NKP through western Cleveland suburbs?
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby bdconrail29 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

bluestreak81 wrote:Does this mean more traffic may be traveling on the NKP through western Cleveland suburbs?

The vans 23/22k and 205/206 will use this connection instead of Cleveland.
Brett
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby chriiis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

Is the Vermillion connection work timed to coincide with the bridge work on the Portageville trestle in western New York State (finally beefing up the D&H to 286k standards)?
chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Bellevue_Guy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Today I drove down Risden Rd and saw something kind of odd.....that new crossing signal shown in the video a few posts up is now laying in the ditch in the southwest corner of the crossing. No idea what happened to it.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby cbehr91 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 pm

bluestreak81 wrote:Does this mean more traffic may be traveling on the NKP through western Cleveland suburbs?

The idea is to bypass running through Rockport Yard and the Cloggsville Line and connection.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread postby bluestreak81 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Any updates as to when the connection will be complete?
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Super Chief » Tue May 30, 2017 5:52 am

Can't give you a date but the NS track foreman who just returned to Michigan said his crews were done with it. A contractor is scheduled to finish it?
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby bdconrail29 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm

I'll be up there Saturday and get an update. I'll be railfanning all day during the Fish Festival.
Brett
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby bdconrail29 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:05 pm

No progress since April on the connection but the CP's are installed. Classic traffic as I had 20 from 11:30 to 4:30. Awesome.
Brett
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby bluestreak81 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Last update on this thread in June was that the EB Chicago onto the EB NKP connector had not yet been connected. Has there been any updates on this connector?
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby bdconrail29 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

bluestreak81 wrote:Last update on this thread in June was that the EB Chicago onto the EB NKP connector had not yet been connected. Has there been any updates on this connector?

I’ll let you know. I’ll be at Vermilion in the next week to railfan.
Brett
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Ohio Talk