NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

Lee when what that bottom picture of that engine taken? I looking in the back ground and it looks like a old 1970 Dodge Dart sitting there. Could have been my dads. He went fishing down there like three days a week and parked his car at Clare Yard.

warder
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by warder »

CAPTAIN wrote:I'm interested in where the Make America Great factories are going to wind up. Apparently something is happening around Mt. Orab. We'll know in February.
Maybe that's where the new proposed Bunge Soybean Processing facility is going.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Nope wrong again that is where the I&O is going to store their beat up old engines for salvage.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Rencomb tower closed mid 1985 I was told.

Why the dumb comments about the I&O, you can't compare the two. That would be like comparing the Precinct at Columbia and Delta with I don't know maybe White Castle..?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Midland you're correct as usual. If found out today that Rencomb closed in the fall of 1985. Now were did the name come from?

Also we can never compare the I&O to the CET. Two different shortrails but they do the same thing haul products to and from. Both are active rail companies, one is stronger than the other on the financial sheet. One hauls more freight that the other in Ohio. The I&O does well in both states. Frontier does well out west with 300 miles of track in four states. In Ohio they have they Peavine most handle car storage so no comparison never said there was just that the Peavine is not out of business and won't be for awhile. Just to short rails with two different business models.

lee45174
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lee45174 »

northstar16 wrote:Lee when what that bottom picture of that engine taken? I looking in the back ground and it looks like a old 1970 Dodge Dart sitting there. Could have been my dads. He went fishing down there like three days a week and parked his car at Clare Yard.
Those photos were taken in my high school days in 1969 or 70 or even 71 as the passenger trains were still running, pre-Amtrak. I took several more but I was using my Dads Instamatic and I didn't really know how to use it properly. Then I had to scan the old slides into electronic format. I have some others of the N&W Passenger trains at Winton Place from the same era.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Very nice. An old Instamatic! I had one of them. I remember passenger trains on the Peavine some would even stop at Clare. Walking the dog this morning NS was bringing some tankers down and some freights for the CET. Crew stopped at McDonalds for breakfast. Tried to get some info if any news going on with the Peavine. They said well we continue moving empty tankers for them for storage and the Ag continues to do okay so we bring some grain cars every week. They said we were told maybe a new company is going to need to rail business in the future but don't know what that means. Our supervisor said no plans of cutting any service to the CET so you will continue to see us weekly. I asked them about the new company and the crew didn't know only that it may be a new development up east.

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

warder wrote:
CAPTAIN wrote:I'm interested in where the Make America Great factories are going to wind up. Apparently something is happening around Mt. Orab. We'll know in February.
Maybe that's where the new proposed Bunge Soybean Processing facility is going.
In support of that: http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... d27e8.html

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Captain I did read this in the Wall Street two weeks ago. It would be great in a county up east would be able to land that company and they then could use the Peavine for transportation. That would really help out the CET long term. I think with Trump getting into office you will see some new expansion of US companies in the United States. This will be good for all railroads.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

If the State of Ohio would be smart and counties to the east as well they should start contacting Bunge and work out a deal either will tax incentives maybe a tax abatement. Since the CET moves grain for the Ag this could be a good fit for the rail line in the future. Land out that way is most likely less expensive than in Indiana. Time to get on board!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Do they grow many soybeans down that way? I would think you position your processing plant close to the source of the beans, to save on inbound transport costs...

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Southern Ohio. Especially along the Peavine is not a high producing area. Bunge will go the high producing area to keep a steady flow of soybeans to use at the facility.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

You maybe right but it would be worth to give it a shot. Companies look for tax abatements or tax discounts if the location is right.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

It would be highly unlikely that Bunge would build on the Peavine as the Peavine is only one way and doesn't go east to Portsmouth. That is a drawback. I would suspect the Columbus area of southern Indiana would be a good spot for them.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Was down along the tracks today talking to NS crew that had a high rail truck down there at Clare. They said in the next few months they will be doing some rail work in the yard and along the old PENN tracks and sidings. One guy said there hasn't been any real work done on the rails for several years and they need some looking after.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Northstar I find it odd that NS would need to do work on the rails down at Clare. One because the rails down there never take on a very heavy load except for the grain that comes from the Ag. The tankers are empty just need storage so the heavy load is only the grain cars and the power.

I took a spin down at Clare yesterday and I did see the high railer down there with a crew looking at the tracks down by the bridge. So I'm sure what they told you is correct. Didn't see any new ties on the side tracks will be interesting what track work they are going to do in the yard as well. Only a few tankers in there at the present time.

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

My brother and I took a flying run to the Plum Run quarry today. We saw stored cars on the main in Seaman. The STB filings open the line to MP 78.45. The target light at the entrance to Plum Run Quarry is 74.44. So, what landmark is at 78.45 to indicate the new end of the line? Clearly, the line is being opened to quarry, but I see no action to clear any of the track, and the storage cars on the mainline in Seaman throw me for a loop. 78.45 is short of the siding at Rarden, so they won't be using it for storage. We looked very close at the roadbed. It could certainly use ties, but the roadbed looks surprisingly good for so many years of neglect. We went to Lawshe, and even it looked good. :)

We did see some tree clearing at the property in Mt. Orab that is being eyeballed. I still haven't heard anything definite on it, yet. :(

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I really think something is going to happen up east on the Peavine. These guys down at Clare were talking about weights on the rails so whatever has been decided the CCET is going to be hauling heavy cars of something but nothing in the near term. NS hasn't done anything on the rails down at Clare for years except take out rails in the yard and on the old Penn tracks. Currently all the crew was doing is charting the rails looking for obstructions and ties that needed to be replaced. They went down the entire siding east of Clare.

Today I was down there with the dog no tankers on the line but some grain cars are sitting up by the bridge. Ag stuff most likely. The NS crew will be delivering tankers or cars on Monday that is the M.O. every Monday. I asked the guys down there when do they think the crews will start doing work and they said maybe sometime this summer. No work orders have been issued just sent down to see what is needed on the rails.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I went to a party in Cincinnati on saturday and cruised down Route 62 out of Columbus and followed it all the way to Russellville Ohio where I caught 125 west. At Macon where 62 meets up with Route 32 and the Peavine just to the south of the intersection. I'm sorry but everything..ROW, signals, rails...just looked totally trashed. Everything looked like it was a great place to store railcars, thats about all.
Exit stage left

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Haven't been up that way in years so I can't comment. I would think that the rails would only be used for storage up there for right now but who knows down the road.