NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

It will be interesting to see what NS will give up if anything with this new Wasson Way Project. WWP wants to put a bike path on the trestle over Old Red Bank Road which is still up in the air no pun intended. From there east they want to either go along the tracks that are not being used in Clare Yard or next to the tracks on the old Penn rails that are being used by NS bringing and taking cars back in forth to Sharon Yard for the CET. The bike path is supposed to run from Clare down the tracks to the Newtown bridge and up east to the path that is now finished to Terrace Park and beyond. The WWP has plenty of money behind them plenty of clout but NS is a hard one to work with to do anything that runs bike paths by or near rails for safety purposes.

Living on the Bluff there are rails down at Clare that are never used and area were there were rails that have been pulled up. Yet does NS want people down inside the yard that is well rarely used but does have traffic in there every now and then? This is what needs to be sorted out. Then the next stumper is where will the bike path go after they take it out of the yard? It will need to be close to the tracks that are being used by the CCET and NS who hauls cars down there three times a week. This is where the old Penn rail tracks come in play. WWP wants to build a bike path away from the old tracks event putting up a fence along the rails. It will be interesting to see if NS will work with them at all. It took years to just sell WWP the rights to Wasson Road trackage. Then there is still the trestle that is still not 100% sold.

The people at WWP are sure this entire project will be approved but dealing with railroads these is no certainty that anything can be approved. Just like Hillsboro the trackage out that way has not been sold by NS and they are holding out on several parcels out that way. Why? Cause they can!

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Midland you have all the facts, we were talking today about the Peavine. At one time many years ago didn't NS have a passenger train run on the Peavine three or four times a week arriving at Union Terminal in Cincinnati? I know back in the day I have seen passenger trains on the tracks during the day.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Last passenger train was the Pocahontas and ran up until Amtrak started in April of 1971. Powhatan Arrow stopped running in 1969.

There's a washout out by MP 29 with both engines stuck east of it until the culvert is repaired.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Midland, I heard at our union meeting that there's new signal masts laying on the Peavine. I'm assuming they were talking about the west end.

This is all I know... I don't know if there's any truth to it but, given the amount of info you always seem to have maybe you had heard something.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The only active signals on the west end were turned off last year by the I&O and either bagged or the heads turned. No idea other than it sounds like a rumor that doesn't make a lot of sense. At least on the east end we will all know if something is going to happen as NS has to file with the STB to reopen the line. Even when all the reopen the Peavine talk was at fever pitch, no one ever said anything about the signal system being reactived.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Gentlemen as far as I can tell there is no signals working on the Peavine and or the Oasis Line that are in contact with the Peavine. I took my dog out for a long walk today along the old Penn tracks west tracks all the way to where the Oasis Line connects to the Peavine and far that vantage point I saw older lights that have been bagged no sign or any new equipment. I ran into a old guy who was going fishing cutting across the tracks. He said that NS has been doing some work on the tracks two weeks ago as he lives right up the road. Said the tracks are pretty active certain times of the week. I don't see NS ever having interest in opening the Peavine but one never know I see NS just opened a line they recently closed this week.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

northstar16 wrote:I don't see NS ever having interest in opening the Peavine but one never know I see NS just opened a line they recently closed this week.

Where at?

I think the ONLY way they would open it back up is if someone else pays for it so to speak but, then again even thats doubtful.

As of right now, they're calling people back with some expectation of a traffic boost (I've heard new coal contracts as well as intermodel). We're also getting some central division reroutes (143, 117, 180, couple others, I haven't paid much attention to it). I believe it's due to the derailment. Sure would like to keep them though.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

NS West Virginia Secondary-Columbus Oh to Alloy WV didn't NS just open this up the last few days? I think a short rail is going to operate the line. I read it somewhere think USA today.

The Peavine would cost millions to open again don't think NS wants to spend money on the Peavine yet the State wants the Peavine to stay open at least parts of it. As long as there is business on the Peavine the short line will operate on it and they are doing well with storage. So the CCET is making money to hold the line for now. Can't see the CET dishing out money to open the entire line. AS far as new signals not sure where your Union said the new signal is going to be located on the west side. I didn't see anything new down that way today. Plenty of vandals have been down that way pulling wires out of boxes along the old Penn tracks. I can say one thing the Mairemont Police sure watch the rails down there. They were parked up by the pool and questioned me when I walked up the drive from where Baltmatic has there place. Since the officer knew me he didn't question me long as I had my dog but he said that they get paid to watch the line down there.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

I'm not saying it it will. Just saying it would take someone else paying for it (State/Govt) (in my opinion) and what I heard.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

To Northstar and Heypal if you two won the lottery tomorrow would you buy the segment of the Peavine from Plum Run to Vera and start your own 30 mile shortline? heck maybe you could even start a scenic tourist railroad. With your winnings,maybe you could fix the Scioto River Bridge at Vera and take care of washed out tracks and downed trees..Where would you keep your engine? McDermott? It would be a dream come true for Peavine fanatics.
Exit stage left

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Lots of rail out here east is in still good looking shape. Otway and rarden has lots of good looking track. Most of the signals have been shot up and looted along with just about everything else. N.s. Does trim the trees to high rail it. I was told by the workers in Wendy's in lucasville.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

Paw95 wrote:Lots of rail out here east is in still good looking shape. Otway and rarden has lots of good looking track. Most of the signals have been shot up and looted along with just about everything else. N.s. Does trim the trees to high rail it. I was told by the workers in Wendy's in lucasville.

At one time they would spray the entire line every summer. They haven't done that this year. And you can tell big time. A lot of weeds and brush encroaching on the line.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

What's up with that quarry at Plum Run?
Exit stage left

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

If I won the lottery a fools game which I have never played I, would invest money in the Peavine as the CET is making money on storage and they have a few contracts. If they didn't the line would be closed. I think that line still has potential, maybe not all the way to Portsmouth but parts are the line are busy, storage does well and down the road there very well may be a commuter line on that rail.

It is up to the CET to maintain the line. Not sure why NS would be spaying for weeds on the east end of the Peavine. Even for the hi railer just doesn't compute. Parts of that rail up east I would think would be unsafe for even a hi railer.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Yes they do spray it and I seen high railers on it. They haven't sprayed yet. Most of this rail still looks good for setting for 13 years though. Surprisingly. I have videos of lots of the east end on YouTube. Rail bed slips and over grow. Preston Whitt is the YouTube channel name.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nothing. The stone quality isn't what Evans can use.

redside20 wrote:What's up with that quarry at Plum Run?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They shouldn't have sprayed this year. They did up thru last year when filed the discontinuance of service.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I looks like the CCET has a new engine. Saw a larger power engine blue in color down in Newtown yesterday. Must be something wrong with their other engine as I only saw the black one that was recently painted in the spring.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It's a former Montana Rail Link SD45-2 one of 3 that CCET's corp bought thinking they might get to be the designated operator of the line out of North Judson, Indiana which didn't happen. 2 more should show up eventually.

The Evans property where the CCET locos sit along with the passenger car are now off limits. Don't go on the property to take pics or you will face trespassing charges.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like the SD45-2 is a larger engine than the old one they had so more power for the line. With the grades on the Peavine and when they have full loads from the Ag this should improve their ability to move more cars when the tracks are wet.