Collision in Marysville

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Collision in Marysville

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Greetings,

I noted a news article about a derailment in Marysville near the Scotts plant. I took a look at the video in the linked story. Visual evidence would suggest a head on collision between a container train and a locomotive switching a hopper car. Two injuries. From the looks of the locomotive coupled to the hopper, I hope the injuries are less severe than the images suggest.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/2- ... marysville

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Collision in Marysville

Unread post by midland sub »

The contractor at Scotts left the switch open and H711 entered the switch at speed according to a well informed person. The contractor was able to use the main to access either side of the plant. At NBC 4 there's an overhead shot oh scene and you can see one of the locos they use off to the right on a side track.

Railfan9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railfan9 »

midland sub wrote:The contractor at Scotts left the switch open and H711 entered the switch at speed according to a well informed person. The contractor was able to use the main to access either side of the plant. At NBC 4 there's an overhead shot oh scene and you can see one of the locos they use off to the right on a side track.
I've been told this is in the unsignaled section is this true? If it is true then that had to been a huge surprise for the crew. I that pray the crew have a speedy recovery.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Was this on the old Conrail Scottslawn secondary? If so then, yes, I believe its all track authority territory. The crew would have no idea the switch was open until they came upon it.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

OSRR wrote:Was this on the old Conrail Scottslawn secondary? If so then, yes, I believe its all track authority territory. The crew would have no idea the switch was open until they came upon it.
Yes, this is the Scottslawn and yes, it is dark or unsignaled territory.

CG tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

CSX rules and per federal rulings state that in order to open a switch on a main track in unsignaled territory you have to inform the dispatcher, fill out permissions times and initials, witnessed by the engineer before you open the switch. Then you have to recontact the dispatcher after use of said switch and after returning it to its normal position...as in TO and FOR THE MAIN. The dispatcher will confirm switch position, time and intitals etc, etc. You keep this sheet in your possession for what? 7 Days afterwards... for examination.
Something didn't happen here and some heads will roll for sure. NTSB and FRA will be all up on dis one! Big trouble soon comes!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Contract switching crew reported to dispatcher everything was lined and locked back normal for mainline movement and they we're in the clear. They were in the clear but not everything was lined and locked back normal.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Somebody took a shortcut got lazy and got caught. Something tells me that contractor will be out of business real soon, just about the time that the bill for the cleanup arrives.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

SousaKerry wrote:Somebody took a shortcut got lazy and got caught.
That's rather presumptuous, claiming a short cut that is. I've seen guys put the derail on, pull the lock off the switch, move the lock, but forget to throw the handle. No "shortcut" there, just so much to keep track of, you sometimes forget what you were doing in the first place. Throw in the stupid rigamarole the FRA requires on the radio, making sure you're noting the times when you throw the switch, sometimes you forget to throw the switch in the first place.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

EXACTLY CSX_CO. Its nuts out there and I'm glad I'm no longer involved. Try to legislate and rule everything from a whistle to a fart and you get soiled diapers.
But then again, you only call AFTER you line the switch back...human error? Fatigue? Perceptive overload? New guy?
Heck, one time we were making our daily pickup southward at Grand Blanc. Had a crossover to line then go into the yard. I was so amazed that they actually put switch heaters on the switches I only lined one of the crossovers and ran thru the second switch. WHOOPS! MY BAD! It happens.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

To err is human. Yes it caused a derailment but no loss of life.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Doktor No wrote:EXACTLY CSX_CO. Its nuts out there and I'm glad I'm no longer involved. Try to legislate and rule everything from a whistle to a fart and you get soiled diapers.
But then again, you only call AFTER you line the switch back...human error? Fatigue? Perceptive overload? New guy?
Heck, one time we were making our daily pickup southward at Grand Blanc. Had a crossover to line then go into the yard. I was so amazed that they actually put switch heaters on the switches I only lined one of the crossovers and ran thru the second switch. WHOOPS! MY BAD! It happens.

This why I always enjoy when I get a 3rd crew member, whether is be a brakeman or conductor (depending on which I'm working). It's always nice to have a 3rd set of eyes.

Robert96
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robert96 »

Is this line track warrant and ABS? I think it was back in Penn Central days.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Robert96 wrote:Is this line track warrant and ABS? I think it was back in Penn Central days.

I believe it's strictly track warrant.

Someone uploaded a couple pics to Railpictures.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 098&nseq=5

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 097&nseq=6

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Maybe it's time to go back to 'DS' (distant switch) signals to warn approaching trains of an open switch a mile or so ahead, whatever is the maximum stopping distance at max tonnage and speed. I have an old PC-CR rule book that showed these in use at that time. Of course PTC will make this all moot, but only where it's installed.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Honestly my first thought when I saw a derailment happened at Marysville involving a switch was one of the two new remote operated switches for Heritage Co-op's new super grain/fertilizer location.