Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Most definitely not

ABB1501
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ABB1501 »

When did the Indiana Hi-Rail take over the line from NS/NW? Just curious.

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

IHRC started operations at Defiance in late 1989, in November I believe. I worked as their first agent in the Defiance depot.

I was hired at IHRC for this job in September, but the startup was delayed, and I was shuttled around the IHRC "empire" for a while, working at Connersville, IN and then at Evansville before finally arriving in Defiance.
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

jldominique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jldominique »

I haven't been on the forum for a while, was wondering what trackwork is being done on the NDW. I noticed a lot of work crews on the line east of Defiance and a lot of ties dropped west of Defiance.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

They are working on stuff, it varies day to day.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

That track has gotten more TLC this year alone than it did at all in the 40 years or more before Pioneer took over.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

railcarman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railcarman »

Crossed the ND&W line yesterday (6/16) at Paulding Cty's CR 143 & CR 133. There were derails in place at both. Derail at CR 143 was also observed on 6/11. Saw beau coup new ties too. Further east, towards Defiance, saw several pieces of track equipment. Could not get a good look to see what type they were, or if they were being used. It was early evening (around 6:30). Track crews may have already quit for the day. Great to see Pioneer's efforts. Weeds seem to have been addressed with Round Up. Anyone know if they plan to add any ballast?

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

They received several railcars of ballast via CSX interchange last year. Also there is a hi rail dump setting at Defiance near the pile of ties waiting to be installed.

jldominique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jldominique »

That is what I noticed as well, also noticed some ballast was dropped by rd 143 heading east toward Defiance.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The old hi rail dump truck is short line track work at it's best. Get a local quarry to deliver it somewhere trackside and work it from there.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Hi rail dump trucks even come in handy on the big railroads.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/0 ... ounty.html

No customers east of the Napoleon industrial park that I am aware of, so they must have been either retrieving or dropping off storage cars. There were about a dozen tank cars east of the U.S. 24 crossing the last time I drove by there.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Very unfortunate. Prayers to the family of the truck driver and all others recovering. Maybe they need a flashing light on the highway before the crossing signals as an extra warning that a train is blocking the crossing ahead.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

I believe this grade crossing is still classified/marked as an "Exempt Crossing", meaning school buses and trucks hauling hazmat don't need to stop. Despite its designation as a US highway, and a bunch of at grade highway entrances/exits and crossings, US 24 is almost for all intents and purposes, an Interstate highway. With no customers beyond Napoleon on the line east to Liberty Center, and I believe I heard/read that the diamond with I&O near there had been removed anyway, the only reason for ND&W to cross US 24 is to pick up or drop off storage cars. I don't have a sense as to how often they do so.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

From the west side of Napoleon all the way to Maumee, 24 is a limited access 70 MPH expressway with no at grade crossings. West of there, there is at grade crossings all the way to the state line and the speed limit is 65.

DT&Ifan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DT&Ifan »

jimnorthwood wrote:http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/0 ... ounty.html

No customers east of the Napoleon industrial park that I am aware of, so they must have been either retrieving or dropping off storage cars. There were about a dozen tank cars east of the U.S. 24 crossing the last time I drove by there.
The sad fact is the three vehicles closest to the crossing were fully in compliance stopped and safe until the fourth truck failed to stop and rear ended the third causing a chain reaction collision. Inattentive and distracted drivers are the worst part about driving on 'major' roads, the more people you have the greater the chance that someone will make a mistake. Sadly in this case the driver who failed to stop was killed in the resulting accident.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

This is true, but no one expects cars to be stopped for a train on a 70 MPH expressway. All it takes is to look away for a second or the cars being out of gear and no brake lights on.

It is inherently quite dangerous.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Any updates to report of ANY kind? This thread seems kinds devoid of good news lately.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

I suspect the lack of news IS good news, ie ND&W continues its usual five (maybe six) day per week operation of hauling tomato paste in the high cube box cars (maybe other good stuff to eat in the refrigerator cars?) and plastic pellets to Napoleon; waste oil to and perhaps cement from, Cecil; raw material of whatever type into JM in Defiance, along with any other business they have, ie the tank car transload place that is adjacent to the yard in Defiance?; perhaps the elevator(s) in Jewell or Okolona?; storage of tank cars east of U.S. 24? I've noticed much more interchange traffic in Woodburn, too. They are always doing track work of one type or the other. ND&W is light years ahead of the previous operator of this line, which means not as much to talk about.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

jimnorthwood wrote:I suspect the lack of news IS good news, ie ND&W continues its usual five (maybe six) day per week operation of hauling tomato paste in the high cube box cars (maybe other good stuff to eat in the refrigerator cars?) and plastic pellets to Napoleon; waste oil to and perhaps cement from, Cecil; raw material of whatever type into JM in Defiance, along with any other business they have, ie the tank car transload place that is adjacent to the yard in Defiance?; perhaps the elevator(s) in Jewell or Okolona?; storage of tank cars east of U.S. 24? I've noticed much more interchange traffic in Woodburn, too. They are always doing track work of one type or the other. ND&W is light years ahead of the previous operator of this line, which means not as much to talk about.
Hows the track work coming?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)