Changes on the Ann Arbor

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

Changes on the Ann Arbor

Unread post by MDH »

Some interesting developments on the Annie. The 3927 has been repainted into WAMX corporate "bumblebee" black & yellow with no logos on the ends but the current Ann Arbor logo on the long hood (like the cab side logo on existing units but with black lettering instead of red). WAMX reporting marks on the cab. The 7802 which was the last orange unit is presently in this state:

ImageAA 7802 being repainted by Michael Harding, on Flickr

Rumor has it that it'll be repainted in some sort of heritage orange scheme.

While poking around looking at those developments, I followed an Annie job down to the riverfront where I've never seen them before where they worked a customer that used to be served by NS:

ImageAnn Arbor 2373 by Michael Harding, on Flickr

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Changes on the Ann Arbor

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting your experience, MDH. Would you happen to know which customer was being switched in this picture?
MDH wrote:While poking around looking at those developments, I followed an Annie job down to the riverfront where I've never seen them before where they worked a customer that used to be served by NS:

ImageAnn Arbor 2373 by Michael Harding, on Flickr

Regards,
Michael
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting your experience, MDH. Would you happen to know which customer was being switched in this picture?
It's Arc Terminals (I think former Sun Oil? or something like that)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks MDH. I don't recall Arc named in the original official sale/transfer documents.
MDH wrote:
AARR wrote:Thanks for posting your experience, MDH. Would you happen to know which customer was being switched in this picture?
It's Arc Terminals (I think former Sun Oil? or something like that)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

This may have something to do with a conversation between some Chrysler big wigs and Watco/Annie management and the Jeep plant being served by Union Pacific...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:This may have something to do with a conversation between some Chrysler big wigs and Watco/Annie management and the Jeep plant being served by Union Pacific...
I can confirm that this conversation is what kick started the "PAINT NOW" program they've started.
Bottom text.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Y@ wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:This may have something to do with a conversation between some Chrysler big wigs and Watco/Annie management and the Jeep plant being served by Union Pacific...
I can confirm that this conversation is what kick started the "PAINT NOW" program they've started.

So, paint DOES matter? :shock:
~ Charles W.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Photos on Facebook show the fresh orange unit. Looks full-on Annie heritage, but no logos yet.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Take a look now i see a emblem.
Last edited by penn central on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I don't understand why people want GLC to do an orange AA themed unit.. They are not AA nor should they try to paint an AA themed unit. If they had absorbed the entire AA and or the AA was defunct then it would be another story (like the Iowa interstate and the rock island unit). If the AA still exist it does not make sense for another railroad to paint a unit like they are them. (Penn central this isn't specifically directed at you, others had said that and it's doesn't make sense from a business standpoint) An example is the AA is painting locos supposposly because managers/ people were wondering why Union Pacific was switching their geep dock. (curtesy of Y@ in the other thread)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31957
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

IMHO be glad they gave 3879, ex-7802 a fresh coat of paint and didn't ship her to LTEX or paint her in bumblebee paint like it's sisters. They did an amazing job.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:I don't understand why people want GLC to do an orange AA themed unit.. They are not AA nor should they try to paint an AA themed unit. If they had absorbed the entire AA and or the AA was defunct then it would be another story (like the Iowa interstate and the rock island unit). If the AA still exist it does not make sense for another railroad to paint a unit like they are them. (Penn central this isn't specifically directed at you, others had said that and it's doesn't make sense from a business standpoint) An example is the AA is painting locos supposposly because managers/ people were wondering why Union Pacific was switching their geep dock. (curtesy of Y@ in the other thread)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31957
Because half of the GLC's main is former Ann Arbor trackage and they have a half dozen of the original Ann Arbor GP35's. The Iowa Interstate own tracks that were originally part of the Rock, they never bought them directly from the Rock or merged the Rock in any way. The Rock Island ceased to exist in 1982 or 83.

Keep in mind Watco's version of the Ann Arbor is NOT the original. The original Ann Arbor went into Conrail in 1976, but was only owned for a short time by them before the state bought the tracks that today's GLC runs on. They hired an operator, Michigan Interstate to run the tracks. Eventually the TSBY and now the GLC are doing the same. The 7802's paint is from the original Ann Arbor, and was not painted at the beginning of the Current Ann Arbor.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I don't need a history of the AA.. And no 7802 is not an original Ann Arbor locomotive nor is the paint. The group of GP38's all came on together in on the modern Ann Arbor. 7802, 7771, and 7791 all worked on PC and then CR before coming to AA in 1985 which puts them all in the "modern Ann Arbor". All three units were painted into that "Michigan in the fog" scheme and were the main power for the AA. Later on the GP39-2's were acquired and eventually the GP40-3. 7771 and 7791 were shipped to LTEX and now 3879 will be the last unit to wear the Orange.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

By rights the Ann Arbor shouldn't still exist in the first place, so be grateful that there's a heritage loco regardless of what piece of track it runs on....

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I think it's funny must people don't realize that 3879 (7802) was never a real Ann Arbor engine to begin with.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

SD80MAC wrote:I think it's funny must people don't realize that 3879 (7802) was never a real Ann Arbor engine to begin with.
You are not alone.
Bottom text.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I am old enough to remember the GP35s in full AA paint and would love to see one repainted somehow in the old AA paint and lettering. I understand tho it might be cost prohibitive because of there age.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

SD80MAC wrote:I think it's funny must people don't realize that 3879 (7802) was never a real Ann Arbor engine to begin with.
Who needs facts and statistics?
Brett

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Not sure what makes a locomotive "real" or fake...
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"