CCET operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CCET operations

Unread post by midland sub »

I can think of ten things off the top of my head.....

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

FREIGHT AND TANKERS!

Okay point well taken. Now my buddy did see a trunk on the rail not sure who it was most likely the CCET maybe, but either way there must be some interest for the CCET to venture up east on the track that has been closed for well over a year. Surely they are looking at the track conditions which can't be very good with the rain and snow. Ties must be in bad shape by now. Past Seaman and Winchester only farms are out that way, not many businesses would haul product by rail I don't think.

I agree NS may not want the rail any longer but the CCET can continue to open up the rail more to the east if they get contracts and that is what they are trying to do now.

I did hear that NS hired 40 more employees for the Bellevue line and points north. Don't see how that is going to impact the traffic issues they have up there now. The situation as I see it is too many trains on the rail going to Bellevue and trying to get into the yard is very difficult. NS needs to move trains in a different direction thus freeing up the Bellevue line a little more.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

Just think, 30 years ago the line would have been pulled up, at least the rails are in place and being run by a shoreline.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Midland pal NS has limited trackage rights on the Peavine. You know they still own it just leasing it out for three years.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yep they have limited trackage rights. NS did a lot of smart things in how they filed stuff. Discontinuance of service filings takes them off the hook on needless inspections but lets them reopen the line if and when the day comes with minimal filing effort. If and when that day comes using the limited trackage rights might be to keep the CCET as the local service provider. I don't remember reading anywhere how long the lease was for.

heypal6878 wrote:Midland pal NS has limited trackage rights on the Peavine. You know they still own it just leasing it out for three years.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The Peavine is very much like the old Ohio Div. Both across southern Ohio with not much online traffic. The Peavine at least made it through the '80s and '90s. The flipside what's left of the Ohio Div. still has a decent traffic base.

jallenp7 wrote:Just think, 30 years ago the line would have been pulled up, at least the rails are in place and being run by a shoreline.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I need to go back in my notes but I do believe the lease was for 3 years. The first year will be coming up in April I do believe. I need to send Jaw Tooth a email. Correct NS is pretty slick when it comes to filing paper work and contracts. The more I read into this Peavine from different sources I do believe NS will continue to use the CCET or another short line as long as the can on the Peavine. The CCET is picking up some contracts figure they will continue with the pace to get more out east. Who knows maybe NS will extend the line if the CCET gets more customers out east.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

Wouldn't shock me at all to see NS still continue to allow CCET to do the local work "if" they were ever to reopen it to through traffic. And I know thats a big if. But I believe that's why things are filed the way they are for the "just in case" scenario. Which we all know may never happen. But as long as the rails are still there and NS still owns them there's always that possibility however small it might be.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

From what I have read this morning NS did grant the lease to the CCET for three years on the Peavine. If the CCET continues to pick up contracts from business out east I can see NS giving them more rail to operate. There is always a possibility that the Peavine may one day open again and when that happens the CCET will most likely haul all the traffic on the line. The only way NS will want the line back is if a major business like a automotive company builds in the industrial park out east. Then there is big money, added rail traffic and more incentive for NS to begin to transport.

I'm getting this information from my buddy who works for NS in Atlanta. He told me today NS will not open the line anytime soon. The Peavine doesn't fit their present model, it isn't a matter of expense to open the line it is a matter of logistics. They are happy with the CCET and the way they are shaping up their business model along the Peavine. NS will gain off of any contact the CCET will receive. For NS this means less manpower, and no cost for inspections on the line with the present lease.

As it stands today the CCET is in control of their own destiny on the Peavine. NS is watching but not interested in opening the line any time soon. Even with the additional canal traffic soon to hit at the end of 2015 the Peavine is not in the mix for NS.

NS has more issues with moving traffic in the middle of the state at the present time. The Peavine cannot help that situation. Rail traffic for NS has increased 14% since last September in Ohio. Fourteen percent doesn't sound like much but when it comes to logistic putting the trains on the rails and not having them sit very long is critical.

This is all the information I received this morning. When I have more I will keep you posted.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I'm glad you reached out to someone and confirmed stuff. It's just a simple business decision that once you step back and look at it, it really makes sense.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

canal traffic

Is this in reference to the Panama Canal? I too am glad you went out and got answers and now it's great to see the CCET on the upswing after a slow start.
Exit stage left

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

BNSF did the same with Stampede pass in Washington State, BNSF sold or leased the east end of Stampede pass to Washington Central Railroad and railbanked the West end then took back the lease (or purchased it) when the re-opened the line in 1997.

IOCR ended up with a bunch of grain hoppers from Washington Central RR that were re-stenciled at Glen Echo, I think NOKL bought or leased them.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It's not really a secret at this point but they went to Winchester this afternoon with the first empties to loaded.

I would presume those are the same NOKL cars floating around the I&O to this day. If so they just might end up making a trip over the CCET to Winchester at some point.

jallenp7 wrote:BNSF did the same with Stampede pass in Washington State, BNSF sold or leased the east end of Stampede pass to Washington Central Railroad and railbanked the West end then took back the lease (or purchased it) when the re-opened the line in 1997.

IOCR ended up with a bunch of grain hoppers from Washington Central RR that were re-stenciled at Glen Echo, I think NOKL bought or leased them.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Its good to see the CCET getting the AG together for the summer. This will be a money maker for them and most likely they will be running out there a few times a week. Between the AG and the paper plant in Afton they should do pretty well for the next few months.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Hopefully this won't turn into a pissing match like the other one.

There are 400 ethanol tank cars coming for storage by their owner. Wasn't told who owns them or how long. Frontier's Ohi-rail operation in Northeast Ohio has always gotten a good chunk of their revenue from storage business. Revenue is revenue. Minor work will be done to sidings to be able to spot the cars.

DJJX covered hoppers that show up are not for Winchester. They are getting repair work at Alton I presume where the CCET loco is kept.

Thanks CSX_CO I saw what you said

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Newbs who don't have a clue who posters here are. It never gets old.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

So let me get this straight the CCET is going to store tankers on the Peavine siding. I do know short lines do get some revenue for storage of cars. There is plenty of siding on the Peavine to store tankers. Even Clare has several unused rails. There is some activity down at Clare this morning according to my buddy who is fishing down at the little Miami this morning.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:DJJX covered hoppers that show up are not for Winchester.
I didn't know DJJX had covered hoppers in their fleet. All I've seen are their scrap gondola's. I know better than to challenge you :wink: I Googled it and sure enough they're out there :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They repainted several dark blue a couple of years ago in Brookville on the original I&O line when the contractor was there painting the GP50s. Nucor is the parent company for the David Joseph Co. They own quite a few if not all of the former AGP covered hoppers now.
AARR wrote:
midland sub wrote:DJJX covered hoppers that show up are not for Winchester.
I didn't know DJJX had covered hoppers in their fleet. All I've seen are their scrap gondola's. I know better than to challenge you :wink: I Googled it and sure enough they're out there :)

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yes CCET is going to store cars in different sidings. None will be stored in Clare as NS owns the tracks there. If you see any there, they are waiting to be picked up by the CCET. No idea how long they are staying or who owns them. CCET's owner does quite the storage business with their other operations.

heypal6878 wrote:So let me get this straight the CCET is going to store tankers on the Peavine siding. I do know short lines do get some revenue for storage of cars. There is plenty of siding on the Peavine to store tankers. Even Clare has several unused rails. There is some activity down at Clare this morning according to my buddy who is fishing down at the little Miami this morning.