CSX Intermodal Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Sppengelly
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Intermodal Question

Unread post by Sppengelly »

Being in Michigan, I typically post on the Michigan board but considering the location of the question in mind, I thought I'd post here:

Traveling from the Upper Peninsula to North Carolina, I passed through Ohio and was assuming I was relatively close to the North Baltimore intermodal terminal considering all the container trains. I did notice (from a bit of a distance) a CSX intermodal train with one of the blocks of intermodal flats carrying a long string of blue CSX intermodal containers still on the truck chassis while on the flat cars.

Isn't N.B only equipped to handle COFC and not TOFC (even though the configuration in question was containers on chassis on flat)? Also, is this a typically thing for CSX to do?

Thanks in advance.

-Sean

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Intermodal Question

Unread post by CSXandNSRailfanner »

I don't think so, theres a couple of trains that orginiate / destination between North Baltimore yard and Detroit.
CSX Q1??
Its a Intermodal, but not the highest priority as the Q0 series

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Correct. North Baltimore can only handle COFC. A few of the trains that set out and pickup have TOFC in the consist. Q015 and Q016 the daily Chicago to Chambersburg Pennsylvania trains are usually transporting TOFC.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

CSXandNSRailfanner wrote:I don't think so, theres a couple of trains that orginiate / destination between North Baltimore yard and Detroit.
CSX Q1??
Its a Intermodal, but not the highest priority as the Q0 series

q150 and q151
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken