New Connection in Bellevue (N. Sandusky District - Yard)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

New Connection in Bellevue (N. Sandusky District - Yard)

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/n ... ght--42515

So I found this article about the Bellevue yard expansion, which had a lot of interesting info. But what stuck out to me the most was this line, that was just thrown into a paragraph with out any further detail:

"Additionally, construction of a one-mile connection between the yard and the NS Sandusky line has begun."

I found this to be a surprising line. In none of the documents about the yard expansion I've looked through was there any mention of such a connection, I haven't seen anything about it on here, and my attempts at finding any mention of it elsewhere via google turned up nothing.

I figured if such a thing were to be built and really be a mile long, that it would have to be built across the fields on the north side of Bunge (Central Soya) and connect to the Sanduksy district somewhere near Potter Rd. So I decided to drive across Potter Rd and have a look before posting anything about this on here.

I was expecting to find either nothing or maybe some signs of early construction, but what I found was...

(at Potter Rd, looking south)

So, it's either already built or at least very far along at the north end.

Anyone know anything more about this? Was there any info about this out there that I just failed to find?

I have no idea for sure where this connects into the yard, but my guess would be that it comes in via the little side yard leading into Bunge.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: New Connection in Bellevue (N. Sandusky District - Yard)

Unread post by redside20 »

Holy! they actually went through with it. We've been speculating about this and have been hearing rumors but didn't think they'd actually do it...I need to get up there and see this. NS trains can go any which way but loose in the Bellevue area lol..

I have no idea for sure where this connects into the yard, but my guess would be that it comes in via the little side yard leading into Bunge.

Which side on the east end over by the firing range by Bragg Road or on the west side by what used to be Horns Crop Service? Is this so that Wheeling trains can loop and turn into the plant without fouling anything, Or are they gonna send some trains out this way up to Sandusky?
Exit stage left

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:NS trains can go any which way but loose in the Bellevue area lol..
Yep. The only non fluid move left in Bellevue will be WLE to Toledo
Which side on the east end over by the firing range by Bragg Road or on the west side by what used to be Horns Crop Service? Is this so that Wheeling trains can loop and turn into the plant without fouling anything, Or are they gonna send some trains out this way up to Sandusky?
The east side. With the big sweeping curve this connection makes, it pretty much has to either come into the Bunge yard west of the firing range, or into that narrow choke point of the main yard between the firing range and Bragg Rd.

JohnnyO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JohnnyO »

What did they name that location? I see the green sign but can't read it.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

So with this new connection it would be possible to do directional running between the Bellevue yard and Chicago Line, using the Sandusky and Toledo districts. IMO the Sandusky district would work best as the WB leg, since this new connection ties into the yard on the same side as the WB departure yard. And if they did that, I suppose the Columbus/Toledo through traffic could follow the same pattern....though there would still be a few trains left "swimming upstream" on either line.

Any body heard any rumors about what they're planning on doing? Also, could this new connection be added fuel to prior rumors that the Toledo district is on the chopping block?
JohnnyO wrote:What did they name that location? I see the green sign but can't read it.
Potter Rd

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Talked with someone who works at Bunge and found out that this connection does come in by the east side Bunge yard. Based on his description of "they took out the access road on the north side of our track" and (after I asked about a pond in that area) "they cut through the woods next to the pond while leaving the pond intact" it sounds like the connection comes in in this general area: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.28819 ... 1&t=h&z=17, and parallels the Bunge yard down toward the main yard. Not sure if it ties into the Bunge lead track, or if it has it's own switch into the main yard somewhere just east of it.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

NS posted this picture of it on Facebook yesterday

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

The log jam up in Bellevue on average is unbelievable and getting worse. There is just nowhere to go with all the trains that are using the tracks up there. NS best get its act together and soon. NS is gaining more and more business and is growing at a rapid rate. Orders are up!

Closed lines will need to be open soon. Double Stacks are the most popular on this line however fright and coal cars can be run on other lines that have been posted as out of server but not abandoned. Adding new rails is only a temporary fix. NS will need to fix old rails that are temporary out of service to move fright and get the product to the customer.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

You can add all the capacity you want but it will do nothing if you don't have manpower to move the trains.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

heypal6878 wrote:The log jam up in Bellevue on average is unbelievable and getting worse. There is just nowhere to go with all the trains that are using the tracks up there. NS best get its act together and soon. NS is gaining more and more business and is growing at a rapid rate. Orders are up!

Closed lines will need to be open soon. Double Stacks are the most popular on this line however fright and coal cars can be run on other lines that have been posted as out of server but not abandoned. Adding new rails is only a temporary fix. NS will need to fix old rails that are temporary out of service to move fright and get the product to the customer.
While the log jam may be there, do you every listen to the scanner? A good percentage of the time it's not because of capacity, but rather crew availability. If you have a lot of trains in a particular district, that's a huge number of crews that need qualified on that line/area. Where are you going to find them? They don't just show up.
Brett

cumbres
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cumbres »

While the log jam may be there, do you every listen to the scanner? A good percentage of the time it's not because of capacity, but rather crew availability. If you have a lot of trains in a particular district, that's a huge number of crews that need qualified on that line/area. Where are you going to find them? They don't just show up.

So I guess the question that has to be asked is, even if NS had enough crews to run their stuff, would they still have any open track to run on? From what I`m reading on this site and others, NS just doesn`t have the track capacity to handle the business levels they are experiencing at this time and from what I can gather as the economy improves they are really going to be behind the 8 ball so to speak. Trackage rights trains on the CF&E may help, but how much if they are only allowed to run 6 a day on it?

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

cumbres wrote:While the log jam may be there, do you every listen to the scanner? A good percentage of the time it's not because of capacity, but rather crew availability. If you have a lot of trains in a particular district, that's a huge number of crews that need qualified on that line/area. Where are you going to find them? They don't just show up.

So I guess the question that has to be asked is, even if NS had enough crews to run their stuff, would they still have any open track to run on? From what I`m reading on this site and others, NS just doesn`t have the track capacity to handle the business levels they are experiencing at this time and from what I can gather as the economy improves they are really going to be behind the 8 ball so to speak. Trackage rights trains on the CF&E may help, but how much if they are only allowed to run 6 a day on it?
I don't think the problem is as clear-cut as simply not having enough capacity. I can't believe that NS has so much more traffic than CSX (who has ONE route into Chicago and not really seemingly having the problems NS is) while NS is utilizing three routes right now. There's a crew problem, a track capacity problem, a Bellevue problem.
Brett

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Most of the NS problems stem from their car routings now that Bellevue is open. Back hauling cars to Bellevue because they think it can handle it all.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I really don't think it is all about crews I think it is mostly all about lack of open rails. CSX has two rails up there and that both rails lines they use gets busy the first half of the week. Then NS has plenty of traffic to boot and no place to go. Trains are jammed up all over the place. I seen every rail occupied at one time and nobody going nowhere quick. I never seen so much traffic as I have this year up there. NS is already getting prepared for move fright traffic in the next few months. Where are they going to go with more traffic is the million dollar question.

Seems to me they need to open a few rails that are not being used that have some discontinuance of them get them open and move fright traffic on them leaving the Bellview line open for just double stacks and tankers. Amtrak has been sitting up there stuck a few times. I bet that is not going to sit will with them.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

heypal6878 wrote: CSX has two rails up there and that both rails lines they use gets busy the first half of the week.
Up there where?
heypal6878 wrote:Seems to me they need to open a few rails that are not being used that have some discontinuance of them get them open and move fright traffic on them leaving the Bellview line open for just double stacks and tankers. Amtrak has been sitting up there stuck a few times. I bet that is not going to sit will with them.
It's not feasible in the least to reopen abandoned lines and rerail rights of way that have been torn up, and Amtrak doesn't pay the bills for NS, so they get the shaft if more lucrative traffic needs to move. What CSX_CO said is the truth. NS thinks they can run the world through Bellevue and they really can't, between the crew situation and every line through Bellevue being single track once you get outside the terminal area.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

What does Amtrak have to do with the new Bellevue connection? HeyPal your losing me here...NS has more escape routes in northern Ohio than CSX could ever have...So I would have to say crew availability would be the best possible answer.
Exit stage left

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak is only in the way not a player in the mess just stuck. Take today I'm here on business the tracks have been jammed up already this morning. I must say they are getting off the main a little faster than last Friday. NS has tracks that are not taken up just out of service not being used. I think if they use these out of service rails open them back up it will take some of the pressure off the main rails past the yard. Just a thought. NS wants everything to run up there the heart of the rail circuit in Ohio but I really their business is getting more complicated as the model has changed. They are very busy, more freight and no where to go with trains.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

So opening up mainline capacity like you propose is going to do 0 to help the terminal congestion you're seeing. All it is going to do is give them more places to park, and still not address the core issue.

Practice safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

One NS Elkhart cremember I had the pleasure of speaking with last fall designated than new 3rd main between Elkahrt and Goshen as just more space to stash trains. Elkhart is/was overworked, but they don't have the crews, either.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

It appears that adding more rails in the yard (that is if there is even room to do so) isn't going to take very much pressure off the main line. How many trains run on that line pre day? Maybe NS needs to find another alternative route.