Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AlcoGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by AlcoGuy »

In this case, one would think they run short trains, so they can keep a better eye on them if and when they do derail, and not tear up more track or tip "em over?.....

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

You can feel when your train is on the ground. Once axle makes a difference at slow speeds. That little tugging is never a good feeling. It will make your conductors eyes go.... :shock:
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I know it's a little after the fact. Isn't that derailment the same spot the MAW 16 almost went on its side a few years ago?
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bumthum »

My daughter and I are heading out of Fort Wayne early tomorrow morning in the hopes of seeing ND&W do something. After two day long trips to see the MAW without catching a moving/non-derailed train we both have high hopes. I post up any worthwhile photos when we get back. Do they leave Defiance around 0800 like the MAW or is it pretty variable?

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

bumthum wrote:My daughter and I are heading out of Fort Wayne early tomorrow morning in the hopes of seeing ND&W do something. After two day long trips to see the MAW without catching a moving/non-derailed train we both have high hopes. I post up any worthwhile photos when we get back. Do they leave Defiance around 0800 like the MAW or is it pretty variable?
If say just start at Woodburn and work your way east. They work regularly with 2 crews but pick up where ever they left off the day before most times. Keep an eye on the track between Cecil and defiance also because they use it now! Good luck!

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bumthum »

They just started 1601 and lined the switches east of the Defiance yard. ~ That was at 8:16 am.

They backed 1601 in John Manville and pulled out a cut of covered hoppers. Out they went to the yard, after about 20 minutes of switching, they pushed another cut back into John Manville and then parked 1601.

They loaded into the black Taurus and disappeared. I wrongly assumed they were heading to Napoleon and so I took the country route there only to find the Gettysburg unit parked, switched off, and no one around. We headed back through Napoleon, didn't spot a west bound, then headed back towards Woodburn on 24. I decided to get off around Auglaize Village, an area where we had spotted a running locomotive on our way to Defiance and found a bunch of highrail trucks and guys wearing orange vests working a derailment near 8 & 153.

I think we finally located the crew who left Defiance in Cecil where there was a decent train, for the ND&W, it appeared to be parked but running... my daughter was bored with the adventure by this time so I didn't have an opportunity to stop and investigate. Oh well, the half hour of switching in Defiance was more railroading than I have ever been able to see on this line, gives me enough hope to try to return in a month or so to check it out again.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Pioneer's financials for the last year:

http://www.otcmarkets.com/financialRepo ... &id=118325

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. 2,000 carloads represents an excellent traffic base for the ND&W, especially when you consider that the vast majority only had to be moved 15 miles, between Defiance and Napoleon. The re-opening of the Defiance-Cecil track seems to have resulted in some percentage of ND&W's Napoleon bound traffic being interchanged with NS at Woodburn, as opposed to at Defiance with CSX.

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Mixed Freight parked a mile east of Antwerp this morning, headed west I bet today!! Ten box, 4 covered hoppers, two tank cars!

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

What was the power? 3054, 1601, the Gettysburg and the NW2 were parked in Defiance this morning. Lots of MOW east of there.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I miss our ND&W updates and photos! :cry:
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

TC Man wrote:I miss our ND&W updates and photos! :cry:
Convince my employers to go back to a rotating schedule so I have more Railfan time on the weekdays!

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I'll lobby your boss right away- we need you out there in the field for us. I'm sure they will understand. LOL!

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The same thing happens everyday, does it really require daily updates. Tons of ties have been replaced lately, tons.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I found this article from April 3 that Pioneer Rail wants to remove the exemption status on the Route 24/6 bypass crossing in Napoleon - citing an increase in rail traffic. Has there been an increase in rail traffic east of Napoleon? The last I heard of there wasn't regular traffic on the line east of Napoleon except for car storage.

http://www.wndh1031.com/articles/defian ... -12218825/

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

no on the more traffic east of napoleon.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MagnumForce wrote:The same thing happens everyday, does it really require daily updates. Tons of ties have been replaced lately, tons.
Sorry to waste your time, MagnumForce. I guess I just like to hear the updates as a new member here to get an idea on how the new ND&W is progressing compared to the MAW ownership. And see photos of the trackwork, operations, etc. I know, just fill up the truck and drive down from TC one day to observe. 8)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

TC Man wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:The same thing happens everyday, does it really require daily updates. Tons of ties have been replaced lately, tons.
Sorry to waste your time, MagnumForce. I guess I just like to hear the updates as a new member here to get an idea on how the new ND&W is progressing compared to the MAW ownership. And see photos of the trackwork, operations, etc. I know, just fill up the truck and drive down from TC one day to observe. 8)
Don't pay attention to the angry-man. He's mean when he doesn't take his happy pill. I enjoy the updates too. :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

LOL thanks AARR. I didn't mean to sound like I'm picking on him, but ND&W is a neat operation watch improve, and just hearing about what trackwork is being done yet (even photos), ocassional train updates, etc are MUCH approciated. I understand he may be a bit younger and more spunky so maybe didn't mean to sound mean....