Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by Y@ »

I believe, at one time, there was a switch at the west end of Omnisource. It has long since been removed though.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Y@, that is a very nice photo of the signals. Nice work.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Here is a video taken back in December showing a cut of empty cement hoppers heading to Lafarge.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

PREX 3054 derailed at County Road 17 between Okolona and Napoleon today. Rear truck on the ground and slid towards the ditch on the south side of the main. Front truck blocking the crossing. I snapped a couple pics on the way home from work but stayed out of their way, although I don't think any of the guys there were able to really do anything about it.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's what the 3054 looked like yesterday. Seems to me they were coming east and packed ice in the crossing caused them to ride up and derail.

Uh Oh - Part 1 by Wang Halen, on Flickr

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

I believe this is one of ND&W's largest, if not the largest, customers...

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/0 ... ility.html

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Y@ wrote:Here's what the 3054 looked like yesterday. Seems to me they were coming east and packed ice in the crossing caused them to ride up and derail.

Uh Oh - Part 1 by Wang Halen, on Flickr
TOO FAST TOO FURIOUS DEFIANCE DRIFT

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jimnorthwood wrote:I believe this is one of ND&W's largest, if not the largest, customers...

I believe you are correct. Although from what I have read traffic seems down than in the past. When it was privately owned seemed like 15+ cars per trip were handled. Under ND&W is seems 5-6 are the norm.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

They said meat fabrication....MMMmm.... Roof did the same at PFG in Kendallville IN today releasing ammonia too ! Too much ice...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

ND&W philosophy/operating practice seems to differ from that of MAW, the previous operator. MAW ran very lengthy trains, which invited derailments on their somewhat less than perfect track. ND&W runs shorter and, perhaps, more frequent trains. I suspect that this, in combination with tie replacement, has probably reduced derailments and resulted in improved customer service, too. Or, overall traffic might just be down, as AARR noted. One of those two cold storage places in Napoleon, I don't know which one, reduced their inbound shipments, I believe, when the line was still owned/operated by MAW. I don't recall the reason, but I don't think it had anything to do with the level of service provided by the MAW. I'm not as close to the ND&W as several of the contributors, so I could be incorrect with all of the above. Just my speculation...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

AARR wrote:
jimnorthwood wrote:I believe this is one of ND&W's largest, if not the largest, customers...

I believe you are correct. Although from what I have read traffic seems down than in the past. When it was privately owned seemed like 15+ cars per trip were handled. Under ND&W is seems 5-6 are the norm.

You are incorrect, traffic levels are steady, they just run more, shorter trains. Weekend service used to be quite rare as well, now they run nearly every Saturday. Pioneer is not afraid to run extra trains while making money and reinvesting it in the line, quite the stark contrast to the former Slum Lord regime.

Anyway full round trips between Defiance and Napoleon are now normal plus work on the other end. Having two crews working at once is now common while that was totally unheard of in MAW days.

Traffic is steady as ever and seems to be up in places like Okie when compared to the final years of the MAW.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update on their operations.

Is Cloverleaf their largest customer in Napoleon?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Yes, cloverleaf is the largest customer

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Gettysburg stuck just west of State line this morning Very funny to watch them with shovels trying to dig her out!!!

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

wildcatsa1fan wrote:Gettysburg stuck just west of State line this morning Very funny to watch them with shovels trying to dig her out!!!
At least their trying to use it these days!

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

alittlevanwerty wrote:
wildcatsa1fan wrote:Gettysburg stuck just west of State line this morning Very funny to watch them with shovels trying to dig her out!!!
At least their trying to use it these days!
Well it has to be usable, and it has a less-than-loved independent brake schedule anyhow.
MagnumForce (in response to AAAR) wrote: You are incorrect, traffic levels are steady, they just run more, shorter trains. Weekend service used to be quite rare as well, now they run nearly every Saturday. Pioneer is not afraid to run extra trains while making money and reinvesting it in the line, quite the stark contrast to the former Slum Lord regime.

Traffic is steady as ever and seems to be up in places like Okie when compared to the final years of the MAW.
Car counts are higher than ever, and the cars are being turned much faster, meaning less car hire fees; a win-win situation for the railroad and shippers.

Shorter trains is one of Pioneer's methods of reducing derailments; shorter trains, less slack, easier on the roadbed.

Despite the above photo of an unfortunate 3054, derailment are down, down, down.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

I think the last couple of derailments were both weather related, although one did occur trying to run a monster train with 3 locomotives trudging through some pretty massive snowdrifts

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MagnumForce wrote:I think the last couple of derailments were both weather related, although one did occur trying to run a monster train with 3 locomotives trudging through some pretty massive snowdrifts
They need to bring in a Jordan... Those things deal with snow, and help drainage.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Just heard the Woodburn crew talking to the NS l91. MSO set out 19 for NS and NS brought them 14 cars. Nice to see the west side busy!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:MSO set out 19 for NS and NS brought them 14 cars. Nice to see the west side busy!
The MSO I'm familiar with is Michigan Southern and they interchange with GDLK (former NS) at White Pigeon. What MSO is referred to in the above post?