NS London, Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

NS London, Ohio

Unread post by Rob81 »

Was in London yesterday and saw a tank car sitting in the siding behind the Armlay facility on the old PRR Main. I have been to London on a regular basis since May 2010 and this is the first time that I have seen any activity on the old PRR main. I have seen a few locos sitting from time to time on the PRR next to the old train station but no car movement. Armlay is the only "customer" on the PRR. The track ends about 10 feet from Miday Rd on the city's southwest side. A friend told me that about 5 years ago there was serious discussion to reconnect the PRR all of the way down to South Charleston because of True Pointe but with the bike trail on the old ROW, the plan never really gained traction due to the cost involved.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NS London, Ohio

Unread post by AARR »

I enjoy seeing an occasional car showing up on a little used spur more so than sitting and watching Class 1's roll by a highly used crossing like Fostoria.

In MI there is a 45 mile branch line near Traverse City where a lumber yard gets 3-5 cars a month. The other day someone caught a transformer being delivered to a team track. This happens once every few years. 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS London, Ohio

Unread post by midland sub »

That's great you spotted a car there. It's been a couple of years since I've seen anything there. There was an article in the Columbus Dispatch a year or two ago about the plant and the changes since Church & Dwight sold it several years ago.

Trupointe and Paygro bought the what's left of the former PRR C&X main in South Chuck from WESTCO I think back in 2004 0r '05. Trupointe was working with CSX marketing on unit grain train rates in 2008 when discussion of relaying the line to London came up. It's really more of a leverage tool against CSX for better rates. NS told them they were stupid to even consider it. They could just interchange the grain trains in Springfield or Cincy. NS used to get about a quarter of the South Chuck grain traffic before the I&O snagged the Midland. The I&O used to run the trains to Cincy as #500s on the Dayton Dist. Then they just started moving them via the Midland and then Sharonville. That ended probably 2006 or so. The I&O gets a flat rate to move the trains. Shorter the distance, the more they make.