Gulf Coast Railroad (GCRR)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Gulf Coast Railroad (GCRR)

Unread post by David Collins »

Founded in 2022, the Gulf Coast Railroad (GCRR) was founded from a need to haul goods across all of the gulf states (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida), The GCRR is the only railroad directly linking the 5 previously mentioned states. The GCRR runs numerous bulk commodity trains, such as Phosphate for Florida's bone valley, Oil, Coal and Automobiles. The GCRR has 7 major yards:

Tampa, FL
Biloxi, MS
Mobile, AL
New Orleans, LA
Galveston, TX
Tallahassee, Fl
Alliance/Fort Worth, TX (split with BNSF)

With large trains and lots of them, comes a lot of heavy duty power, thanks to railroads retiring some relatively new locomotives (or failed rebuilds, thanks Norfolk Southern :lol:), The GCRR has been able to take advantage of some of the most powerful engines to date, the roster is as follows:

*Engines with a GCRY reporting mark are for yard/local duties

ROAD POWER:

GCRR (Nee UP) EMD SD90MAC 9000-9009 (These units were rebuilt to be equipped with a 5,800 horespower engine)

GCRR (Nee SVTX) ES44C4M 1980-1985 (These units retain their original number from the original owner)

GCRR (Nee CSXT, Nee CR) SD60i 6000-6009

GCRR SD70IAC-T4 7040-7043

GCRR (Nee FEC, Nee RailAmerica) SD70M-2 8200-8207

GCRR (Nee NS, Nee CR) SD40-2 4000-4015

LOCAL/YARD POWER:

GCRY RPU-6D Slug 850-855

GCRY (Nee Union Pacific, Nee Missouri Pacific) SD40-3RC 9900-9907 (RCL)

GCRY (Nee Union Pacifc, Nee Missouri Pacific) GP15AC 1500-1505

GCRR (Nee CN, Nee GTW, Nee DT&I) GP38-2 3800-3809

These locomotives run trains such as (just a few examples):

I-AFWMOB (Intermodal-Alliance/Fort Worth-Mobile)
E-AFWBTMP (Ethanol-Alliance/Fort Worth (BNSF)-Tampa (CSX))
M-BIXGAL (Manifest-Biloxi-Galveston)
A-TALNOL (Autorack-Tallahassee-New Orleans)

More updates to come soon :)
Last edited by David Collins on Sat May 14, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Talk
Keeps Talking

Re: Gulf Coast Railroad (GCRR)

Unread post by Talk »

your railroad doesn't have any 4 axle yard locomotives?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Talk wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:29 am
your railroad doesn't have any 4 axle yard locomotives?
We do, I accidentally left them out :lol:
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

David, you are destined to run a regional railroad 🙂
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Today the GCRR made headlines, penning a deal with the CSX to re-install the diamond in at Baldwin, Florida, and acquiring trackage rights on the Former CSX (now Florida Gulf and Atlantic Railroad's) S.P. line from Jacksonville to Tallahassee , which now allows the GCRR to connect Jacksonville to it's already extensive network.

The GCRR and CSX have also signed an agreement for interchanging and block-swapping cars at Baldwin Yard. Interchanging at the FEC's bowden yard has also begun. Talks between "The Florida Three" (CSX, NS and FEC) are ongoing, especially NS, who is looking to possibly get out of the state.

With these expansions, 2 new intermodal trains have been added as well as 3 new turn jobs.

Intermodal:

I-AFWBOWF (Intermodal-Alliance/Fort Worth, TX- Bowden Yard, FEC)
I-GALBOWF Intermodal-(Galveston, TX- Bowden Yard FEC)

Turn Jobs:

TJ-GM-TALBALC (Turn Job-General Manifest-Tallahassee-Baldwin Yard CSX)
TJ-UA-MOBBALC (Turn Job-Unit Automobile-Mobile-Baldwin)
TJ-GM-BIXBALC (Turn Job-General Manifest-Biloxi-Baldwin)
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

GCRR Update: Effective May 31st, 2022, The GCRR will take up some residence in the NS Simpson Yard in Jacksonville, Florida. Thus adding six more trains to the GCRR. Such as:

A-SIMNOL (Autorack Simpson Yard JAX-New Orleans)
A-NOLSIM (Autorack New Orleans-Simpson Yard JAX)
I-AFWSIM (Intermodal Alliance/Fort Worth-Simpson Yard JAX)
I-SIMAFW (Intermodal Simpson Yard JAX-Alliance/Fort Worth)
M-BIXSIM (Manifest Biloxi-Simpson Yard JAX)
M-SIMBIX (Manifest Simpson Yard JAX-Biloxi)

The GCRR will also base GP38-2's 3803 and 3808 out of Jacksonville for switching duties inside the yard, these units may become RCL units in the future.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

GCRR Update: The GCRR has traded in it's 8 SD70ACU's to ProgressRail for 4 SD70IAC-T4's, the SD70ACU's were having major issues with their positive train control systems, and were also dealing with other computer issues as well.

The SD70IAC-T4's are rated at 4,500 Horsepower, can meet Tier 4 emissions standards, have alternating current traction motors, and, as a bonus, Individual Axle Control (Which is the meaning of the I in SD70IAC-T4). This allows train crews to cut out one traction motor at a time, rather than cutting all of them on one truck at once.

These units were orignally ordered by NS, however these units were not taken up and have sat in various ProgressRail facilties around the country in solid black paint.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

GCRR Update: The GCRR has just taken delivery of 6 used Amtrak P40's for use on the Mardi grass shuttle trains that we will be piloting this year, these units will be overhauled and fitted with PTC by Bay City Locomotive Services in exchange for two locomotives from one of our partner railroads.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

GCRR Update: After talks with Bay City Locomotive Services, the new P40's, once the overhauls are completed, will be delivered straight to storage at BCLX's Bay City facility. These units will be removed from storage in early January 2023 and will be ferried to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras shuttle trains, these units will then return back to BCLX for storage after the festivities conclude, talks are ongoing regarding a proposed joint venture between BCLX and GCRR leasing these engines to another railroad once the units re-enter storage in March 2023.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

GCRR update: The Mardi Gras paint P40's have arrived on property, and have undergone successful mainline testing. The first revenue run of these units will be on Feburary 12th, 2023.